Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What happened to Devin Mesoraco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jedi500

Jan 2, 2009
He is now hitting .214 with 5 HRs this season so far. Do you guys think he turns it around in the 2nd half?

Bill Bray Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Definitely. I don't think he's played terrible, just having some growing pains. It doesn't help when Dusty is pretty inconsistent at giving him playing time because of Hanigan.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
He's got 117 ABs this season and has played in less than 1/2 of the Reds' games. I imagine it will be hard to judge him until he plays every day.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
I think it's hard for a young, highly touted prospect, to come up and only play every now and then. Trout didn't do very well last year doing that, and I believe that's what ruined Brandon Wood. Give him a full season of AB's before you really make a judgement.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I have watched a ton of games this year as the Reds are my local Fox Sports channel. He doesn't play a ton and when he does do well he is back on the Bench. Dusty hates rookies for the most part so if he has a veteran who can play he won't use the rookie.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I have Mesoraco in my NL Only league and have watched him the whole season. Its frustrating as Dusty Baker seems to yank him as soon as he shows life. I have never agreed with Baker's attitude towards young players.

Its too early to worry. Every analyst I've read still considers him to be their catcher of the future.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I know it seems trendy to bash Dusty Baker, but I'm pretty sure that certain SPs on the staff have their own catcher. Like Arroyo always throws to Hanigan.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Young catchers have trouble because there's so much more to breaking into the big leagues as a catcher than any other position. There's also so much more opportunity for broken pinky fingers (all of them), busted legs (Posey), and foul balls causing concusions (Montero) the talent is still there, but he needs to get used to the physical and mental grind of becoming a big league catcher, while learning how to hit in the bigs.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Young catchers have trouble because there's so much more to breaking into the big leagues as a catcher than any other position. There's also so much more opportunity for broken pinky fingers (all of them), busted legs (Posey), and foul balls causing concusions (Montero) the talent is still there, but he needs to get used to the physical and mental grind of becoming a big league catcher, while learning how to hit in the bigs.

You forgot suitcases falling and breaking hands.

I personally hope he gets it going. He's the first serious guy I prospected that has been called up.

Members online