Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What More Does Mike Trout Have To Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Trout is great. He had a great season. But Miggy absolutely deserves the MVP. It's not even close, he's a beast.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
It's all a playoff deal. In 94,96 griffey would have easily won MVP if his teams had made the playoffs.. But they didn't. 95 he was injured and still had a healthy vote. No injury he would have won. Finally won it in 97 and the next year matched his 56 homer 146 RBI (147 in. 97) and didn't win it because they didn't make the playoffs again. Bs? Yes. So being the best guy on a winning team is a must otherwise Griffs a 5x MVP.. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
If people are going to complain every time someone gets "snubbed" in the MVP race, let's just add a little something to WAR and simply GIVE the award to the guy who has the highest stat at the end of the year.

Feelings and opinions are clearly too exciting for this debate, so we should just XXXX some stats into a computer and "BCS" the MVP award...

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Lost MVP to Miggy again.

He had a better 2013 than 2012, yet garnered less 1st place votes than last year.

I guess he needs to cure cancer to win MVP.

(BTW, someone actually gave him a 7th place vote. *******.)

West coast bias and late games working against him

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I think Cabrera deserved the award this year, just like he did last year. The overwhelming majority of the time, the MVP is at the top of his league in counting numbers. It doesn't matter what we think, that's just how it's been. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying why act surprised when you had to know this was coming.

WAR is a good stat, but people rely on it way too much. It's certainly not a perfect stat considering different places will have different numbers for a player's WAR. There have been tons of discussions on whether it values defense properly. All in all, it's a good stat. It could be used to gauge a players value if everyone could agree on how the hell to do it. If everyone used the same formula, then the WAR should be the same everywhere. I'm getting off topic. Advanced metrics will one day rule the game. This isn't that day though.

While most on here fancy themselves as baseball gods in terms of knowledge, the average fan is not. The average fan wouldn't understand why Mike Trout won over Miguel Cabrera. That's not to say that the average fan is stupid, but they don't spend hours upon hours following, studying, reading, etc, etc. They go to the occasional game, watch ESPN, check sites for box scores, and bullXXXX with their friends and family. Handing them a bill of goods on statistics that they do not know or understand and trying to change how they view the game after it's been one way their entire lives is a daunting task.

This younger generation, they are the ones who will see the game differently. Advanced metrics will rule, but there are kinks that need to be worked out as well as having a much larger portion of the fans who understand them.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I think Cabrera deserved the award this year, just like he did last year. The overwhelming majority of the time, the MVP is at the top of his league in counting numbers. It doesn't matter what we think, that's just how it's been. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying why act surprised when you had to know this was coming.

WAR is a good stat, but people rely on it way too much. It's certainly not a perfect stat considering different places will have different numbers for a player's WAR. There have been tons of discussions on whether it values defense properly. All in all, it's a good stat. It could be used to gauge a players value if everyone could agree on how the hell to do it. If everyone used the same formula, then the WAR should be the same everywhere. I'm getting off topic. Advanced metrics will one day rule the game. This isn't that day though.

While most on here fancy themselves as baseball gods in terms of knowledge, the average fan is not. The average fan wouldn't understand why Mike Trout won over Miguel Cabrera. That's not to say that the average fan is stupid, but they don't spend hours upon hours following, studying, reading, etc, etc. They go to the occasional game, watch ESPN, check sites for box scores, and bullXXXX with their friends and family. Handing them a bill of goods on statistics that they do not know or understand and trying to change how they view the game after it's been one way their entire lives is a daunting task.

This younger generation, they are the ones who will see the game differently. Advanced metrics will rule, but there are kinks that need to be worked out as well as having a much larger portion of the fans who understand them.

WAR is used when every other statistical analysis wont support the argument, IMO. Cabrera dominated the slash lines and when that happens, you win the MVP. Trout wasnt close and if he had been, the tie breaker is the record.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
Cabrera had a better season than Trout (again). I dont know how hard it is to figure out. The Angels faded down the stretch whereas there is no way the Tigers do as well as they do without Cabrera. Cabrera was more valuable. His stats are also better overall across the board. Undeniable.

Members online

Latest posts