Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What SHOULD'VE been! (Players never issued in particular sets)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
From purely the perspective of my player collections, these cards' absence seems curious:

1981 TCMA Spokane Indians
1981 Topps Dave Henderson (at least a Future Stars card)
1982 Topps Traded Dave Henderson
1983 Donruss Dave Henderson
1985 Donruss Dave Henderson
1987 Sportflics Dave Henderson
1988 Donruss Dave Henderson
1988 Sportflics Dave Henderson

Seriously, how did Donruss miss Dave Henderson three times in his first 6 years?

1989 Topps Traded Hensley Meulens
1990 Bowman Hensley Meulens (NY's biggest prospect, and he wasn't in the most prospect heavy set?)
1990 Donruss Hensley Meulens (after all, he DID have playing time in 1989, unlike one Andy Nezelek)
1994 Calbee Hensley Meulens
1995 Calbee Hensley Meulens
1996 Calbee Hensley Meulens (he played in Japan THREE years and the oldest producer of cards didn't include him a single time!)

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Still don't know why Topps didn't make a 1977 Jim Fregosi.

He played that year and the year before and he has a 1976 and a 1978 card.

Weird.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Lots of good mentions already, so many so that I am not sure I could add any more but I'll try...

Would have loved to see a 1985 FLEER & Donruss USA subset like Topps Did that year. An 85' FLEER and Donruss Mark McGwire USA card would have been awesome! On a side note I'm glad that Mattingly cards were not in 1983 releases, I think they were much better off in the 1984 offering(s).

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
Base Topps/Topps Chrome should be able to find a way to include certain high-caliber veteran players who retired the prior off-season just so there'd be a complete run for that player that shows all that player's stats.

For example, Chipper should have a 2013 Topps/Topps Chrome issue that shows his complete career stats, but he won't given precedent. Neither will Omar Vizquel.

Great idea

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
At least we got to see what Griffey looked like on an '89 Topps, even if it was the Traded issue. Same with Maddux and Alomar. Frank Thomas did have a Score and Score Traded, but no Upper Deck (how did that happen?!). I definitely agree with you about all those Bowman vs Topps stars in the early '50's, though. I'd love to have me a 1954 and 1955 Bowman Spahn.

I can remember a bit of hoopla when 1991 UD came because it contained Thomas's first UD card, and rumor had it that the pic actually had him flipping the bird to the camera but his finger got airbrushed out. People were going nuts trying to get that card.

To the OP, even though Olerud was in 1990 Donruss I could never understand why he wasn't a Rated Rookie instead of Alex Sanchez, who was given the RR treatment in 1989. Olerud did create a stir going straight to the show from college, and was pretty highly touted, at least north of the border.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I would have loved to see at least one Oswalt autograph in 2000. I would have liked to see him in 2000 Ultimate Victory as well.
Throw in 2000 Finest as well.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I never understood why George Brett had a 1993 Donruss Preview card, but wasn't in the actual set.
That's strange. Brett had inserts from the 1993 Donruss set (Elite Dominators and MVP), but no base card.
And he even had a base card in the Donruss Triple Play base set, which came out after the '93 regular set.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As a collector of Andre Ethier, I never understood why he didn't have a Bowman card of any kind until 2006.
He had a 2003 UD Prospect Premieres card and several 2005 rookie cards.
But it took until he made the Major Leagues in 2006 before a Bowman card came out.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
1986 Leaf was only a 264 card set, not 660 like Donruss. Leaf had to cut some players and keep some of the Canadian MLB team players.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
As a collector of Andre Ethier, I never understood why he didn't have a Bowman card of any kind until 2006.
He had a 2003 UD Prospect Premieres card and several 2005 rookie cards.
But it took until he made the Major Leagues in 2006 before a Bowman card came out.

Yeah, that's why those Prospect Premieres sets are so great...tons of XRC's. For once Upper Deck did a good job jumping on a lot of great prospects way before Bowman for those few years.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I'm working on a master set of 2007 SP Rookie Edition and there are a few more players I wish they included:

Justin Verlander
David Price
Ubaldo Jimenez
Alejandro De Aza
Joey Votto
Chase Headley
Philip Humber
Tyler Clippard

Also, they included Joba Chamberlain, Justin Upton, Andrew Miller, Cameron Maybin, and Yunel Escobar in the promo set, but not the actual set. It would've been cool to see those guys (definitely the Upton) in the regular set and the Autographs set.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
MMUSA1.jpg

Members online

Latest posts