Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What to do with older common cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
Finally getting around to sorting through boxes of cards and I have a bunch of mid 90s-early 2000s commons that I no longer want. I assume they arent even worth listing as a lot, should I just drop them off at goodwill? Is there a better place I can donate?

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
NEVER NEVER goodwill ----check local Elementary schools ----have kids earn for grades /etc . I have two local that at Christmas 800 kids got 25 cards each .Also i give to local Rec's . I 'll always take boxes of older commons ---- i sort mine to teams ----for stadium set up i have . " anytime i can get a kid to read / stats / play sports equals one less in trouble"

Attachments

• IMG_20190502_0001.jpg
    IMG_20190502_0001.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 28

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
A lot of hospitals, especially kids hospitals, took commons as donations and then put small lots in their “Welcome” packages for the kids.

But that was pre-Covid.

The biggest one near me stopped taking them since though…

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
A lot of hospitals, especially kids hospitals, took commons as donations and then put small lots in their “Welcome” packages for the kids.

But that was pre-Covid.

The biggest one near me stopped taking them since though…
one hospital i DON'T like ground floor - doctors / nurses great ---another is miles away .

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
i have dumped some absolute junk cards in the recycle bin (late 80s/early 90s crap that was picked over numerous times), but I think even with that stuff, you can get rid of it pretty easily. It all depends on the effort one wants to put in.

If you can't sell them, donate to a good cause or trade them for anything else, if you list them for free on a local site like facebook market/craigs list, they will be gone fast.

Pro Tip: Always go through junk boxes one last time before getting rid of them. I pull anything good out the first time through, but often go back through older boxes a few times every couple of years to see if anything else has gotten good. Sometimes rookies take several seasons to stick. Of course, when I pick a box of cards, I pretty much strip them down to nothing but junk. I pull my team (Dodgers) and Yankees (for my buddy), I take all HOFer, stars, fan favorites and guys with potential. I take rookie and prospect cards and put them in a different keep box (for later). By the time I am comfortable dumping them, it's washed up vets who never did anything or nothing rookies that never panned out. Even after all that, sometimes someone circles back around to where I'd save a few of their cards, like guys who go on to coach or manage eventually.

Someday my sickness will be someone else's problem most likely.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts