Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What would you prefer for your p.c.?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
uniquebaseballcards said:
We all know they still make a ton of cards today but those cards are spread across different brands and releases, it will be interesting to see what kind of effect this will have on future demand.

brouthercard said:
It's a simple matter of supply and demand. They made a ton of their rookies back then, and now can be had at 1/3 the price, even though they are in the hall. No new collectors are looking for their cards, and the old collectors already own them, so the prices go down.

Same thing has happened to the baseball card equivalents - ripken, boggs, sandberg, all can be had at a fraction of a price of what they used to sell for.

so in 20 years all the card we are buying today will go down in value or hold there value since there are not as many produced?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Instead of having 500,000 cards produced of a player in one brand, they're now making 500,000 cards still, but spread across ten or twelve different brands.

Nobody has a crystal ball. I always joke that in the future there will be a high-tech scanner that will be able to duplicate any card :)

rum151man said:
We all know they still make a ton of cards today but those cards are spread across different brands and releases, it will be interesting to see what kind of effect this will have on future demand.

brouthercard said:
It's a simple matter of supply and demand. They made a ton of their rookies back then, and now can be had at 1/3 the price, even though they are in the hall. No new collectors are looking for their cards, and the old collectors already own them, so the prices go down.

Same thing has happened to the baseball card equivalents - ripken, boggs, sandberg, all can be had at a fraction of a price of what they used to sell for.

so in 20 years all the card we are buying today will go down in value or hold there value since there are not as many produced?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'd say go for the Pujols and then slowly start adding the others in as you can. It will be easier once you knock the big one out of the way.

Of course...it is some people's opinion that if you have more than a few cards, and none of them are worth a whole lot or aren't super rare...then you are nothing but a hoarder and your collection lacks any quality. Cause...apparently...somewhere along the way...rookie cards of actual HOF'ers are now considered "hamster shavings" and we should only be collecting a handful of cards that are considered "shiny chromage". Apparently some people can't handle the fact that not everyone agrees with their method of collecting. Poor souls...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Instead of having 500,000 cards produced of a player in one brand, they're now making 500,000 cards still, but spread across ten or twelve different brands.

Nobody has a crystal ball. I always joke that in the future there will be a high-tech scanner that will be able to duplicate any card :)

rum151man said:

brouthercard said:

I'd say it all depends on what the new trends in the hobby are. There will always be a market for certain cards. There are cards going all the way back to the beginning that still command some decent coinage. Even something like the 93 refractors. Even if they are limited to 241 per...that is still not super rare. But the set appeal and iconic status it holds is what keeps them relevant. I'd say this generation's appeal is on auto'd chrome rookies.The 90's was more or less the beginning of GU and awesome looking inserts that are rare-semi rare. What's next is the question but each era seems to have its old reliables.

piggy1918

Jul 31, 2009
Do what makes you happy, but for me I've found having a lot of nice cards brings me more happiness than one high dollar card. So thats why I've been picking up $30-$40 rookies and $40-$50 autos instead of a few multi hundred cards.

Cats Coach

May 11, 2010
Mechanicsburg, Pa. -
Since this hobby is supposed to be about your likes and dislikes and not the all mighty dollar............collect what you like. Some of us like the "shiney chromage" while some of us like the dull, boring vintage. I think you also have to distinguish between a collector and an investor/prospector. A collector doesn't worry about the cost/worth (although they always want the highest quality) while an investor/prospector is worried about what it will be worth in the future. Collectors buy what they like without regards to what it will be worth in the future. As a side note::::::: I'm not trashing either of these methods, just voicing an opinion. I think there is room for everyone in this hobby no matter how they go about their business. Thanks.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Diversify (not for investment purposes, just for collectability).

I have a small rookie collection, and I like having several low-mid end rookies of various stars.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
i think i like the idea of selling off a few rookies and getting the pujols then later start piecing back together the ones i sold off. thanks for all the feedback

jubei777

Aug 7, 2008
i'm all about having quality cards over quantity. anytime i can trade out 5-6 cards for one biggie, it's worth it.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
rum151man said:
i think i like the idea of selling off a few rookies and getting the pujols then later start piecing back together the ones i sold off. thanks for all the feedback

Honestly that would probably be the best way to go.

As far as what to collect and how to collect...do what makes you happy. That is the key goal. Chances are that no matter what, how, or who you collect, its not always going to impress, or even be appreciated by others. My current collection does not impress nor does it even factor to some of the more high dollar collectors I know. They could care less unless its an auto'd rookie #'d to/25 or less. Some people only collect certain things and they stick to it. And we all have our different opinion of whats worthwhile to collect and what is not.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I think Run151 was just giving an example with the Pujols Vs Cheaper Rc Super star players. For that Example I would take the Pujols all day as I can pick up the others any time. But the quality or quantity will not always work for for me. Lets say for example I buy a pack of Razor Rookie Retro and Pull the Strasburg 1/1 Superfractor. I can decided to keep it or I can decide to sell it and buy several things. I end up selling it for $16,000 (hypothetical price) and to save arguement I sold it offline so no fees. Now I end up buying :

2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols Rc Auto - $3200
2001 Babe Ruth Leaf certified jersey Patch /21 - $1900 (Just sold)
2007 Topps Sterling Mickey Mantle Bat barrel 1/1- $4500
Ken Griffey Jr Buyback Rc auto /89 - $1,100
2008 Topps Sterling Jackie Robinson Jumbo Patch - $2100
2001 Ultimate Collection Sandy Koufax Gold Auto /15 -$1000
2008 Sweet Spot "Yankee Clipper" Inscription auto - $700
2009 Ultimate Collection Roberto Clemente Jumbo patch - $900
Staduim Club Co signers dual Auto Hank Aaron/Willie Mays - $600

So essentially I took quantity (cards above $16,000 Total ) over "quality" (Strasburg 1/1 Super $16,000 card). Even though this was only an example I would take the cards above over a lot of single cards valued at $16,000 any day of the week. With this example its almost safe to say that the term "quality or quantity" is relative to the type of card or item and value we are taking about and a quality card is not always better than quantity of cards. Just my opinion ofcourse.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
mlbsalltimegreats said:
I think Run151 was just giving an example with the Pujols Vs Cheaper Rc Super star players. For that Example I would take the Pujols all day as I can pick up the others any time. But the quality or quantity will not always work for for me. Lets say for example I buy a pack of Razor Rookie Retro and Pull the Strasburg 1/1 Superfractor. I can decided to keep it or I can decide to sell it and buy several things. I end up selling it for $16,000 (hypothetical price) and to save arguement I sold it offline so no fees. Now I end up buying :

2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols Rc Auto - $3200
2001 Babe Ruth Leaf certified jersey Patch /21 - $1900 (Just sold)
2007 Topps Sterling Mickey Mantle Bat barrel 1/1- $4500
Ken Griffey Jr Buyback Rc auto /89 - $1,100
2008 Topps Sterling Jackie Robinson Jumbo Patch - $2100
2001 Ultimate Collection Sandy Koufax Gold Auto /15 -$1000
2008 Sweet Spot "Yankee Clipper" Inscription auto - $700
2009 Ultimate Collection Roberto Clemente Jumbo patch - $900
Staduim Club Co signers dual Auto Hank Aaron/Willie Mays - $600

So essentially I took quantity (cards above $16,000 Total ) over "quality" (Strasburg 1/1 Super $16,000 card). Even though this was only an example I would take the cards above over a lot of single cards valued at $16,000 any day of the week. With this example its almost safe to say that the term "quality or quantity" is relative to the type of card or item and value we are taking about and a quality card is not always better than quantity of cards. Just my opinion ofcourse.

Quality and quantity are equally both important. After all what good is a bunch of cards who aren't worth the paper they are printed on? But I have found an even mix of both to be quite a good idea.

Members online