Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which players legacies will time be kind to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I was thinking about Andruw Jones (related to a card I picked up) and I was thinking: I believe that (barring a steroids revelation) Andruw Jones' legacy will benefit from the passage of time. His decline at a young age and poor performance effected people's perspectives but I think in the long run people will remember him as one of the greatest defensive center-fielders of all time who was a very solid hitter and an integral member of the Braves run and deserving I enshrinement in the Hall.

I imagine that one could argue that time will do the same for the players who were could with steroids as well (others may vehemently disagree) but I'll throw out the question: whose image do you think will benefit from the passage of time?

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Great question. I personally think that Mark McGwire will be one of those guys that will become more "revered" by the PED-critics over time. He's owned up to his actions, is actively trying to rehab his public persona and his recent comments about PEDs will probably win him fans in the long run. Plus, he was one of the iconic players during his prime and actually liked by most people (vs. Barry Bonds)

I'd also like Carlos Baerga to be on this list...dude was stud when he was playing, but just had a shortened peak.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Jones IMO falls into the category of great 10 year stretches, and I mean that as a compliment. Another player I think doesn't get as much credit, like Jones, has a 10 year stretches of "greatness" is Mo Vaughn.

Ryan

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Those that have video evidence and/or proof of being shady, above and beyond simply using PED's will forever be burdened in my opinion. We will always have video evidence of Braun and Palmeiro looking squarely in the camera and lying their ass off at us, and Arod will be known for having tried to bribe his way out. I feel most who simply tested positive, admitted, and moved on will fair much better in the future like Pettitte.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I I think in the long run people will remember him as one of the greatest defensive center-fielders of all time who was a very solid hitter and an integral member of the Braves run and deserving I enshrinement in the Hall.
I don't think he'll come anywhere near 50% in Hall of Fame voting, even though he was a defensive wizard. Voters generally don't care about defense, except for the rare exception of Ozzie Smith.
Otherwise, Jim Kaat and his 16 Gold Gloves and 283 wins would be a HOFer.
Keith Hernandez has more Gold Gloves (11) than Andruw Jones (10).

I know Gold Gloves aren't an accurate barometer of a player's defense, and Jones may be a top ten all-time defensive center fielder, but so was Jim Edmonds.
And another thing, Jones was arrested for allegedly throwing his wife down the stairs last December, so many fans now think he's scum.

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
I don't think he'll come anywhere near 50% in Hall of Fame voting, even though he was a defensive wizard. Voters generally don't care about defense, except for the rare exception of Ozzie Smith.
Otherwise, Jim Kaat and his 16 Gold Gloves and 283 wins would be a HOFer.
Keith Hernandez has more Gold Gloves (11) than Andruw Jones (10).

I know Gold Gloves aren't an accurate barometer of a player's defense, and Jones may be a top ten all-time defensive center fielder, but so was Jim Edmonds.
And another thing, Jones was arrested for allegedly throwing his wife down the stairs last December, so many fans now think he's scum.

I don't think most HOF voters worry about wives being thrown down. More worried about pills being thrown down or needles in the butt.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't think most HOF voters worry about wives being thrown down. More worried about pills being thrown down or needles in the butt.
That's why I wrote, "...so many fans now think he's scum," referring to his legacy, the topic of this thread.
There's even an Andruw Jones player collector on this board who stopped collecting him and sold his cards when Jones was arrested.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
That's why I wrote, "...so many fans now think he's scum," referring to his legacy, the topic of this thread.
There's even an Andruw Jones player collector on this board who stopped collecting him and sold his cards when Jones was arrested.

Exactly. Jones is a step or 2 below Albert Belle and Belle's legacy has not improved much in the last 10 years.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Exactly. Jones is a step or 2 below Albert Belle and Belle's legacy has not improved much in the last 10 years.

Belle was disliked throughout his career because of his behavior. IMO that's worlds different from Jones. I guess time will tell...

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Frank Thomas...he was all but chased out of Chicago by Guillen and the front office...he was called a pansy for not playing through a completely separated tricep...just an all in all odd parting of ways from a system he spent 16 years under. The moment he began to look human, his star fell. He seems to be gaining respect again.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
The ones who can keep a low profile but does is willing to do an occasional media interview and smooth over some of their career faux pas - just speaking the truth.

John Rocker is probably viewed in much higher regard than Amdruw Jones will ever be depending on who you talk to.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Besides my Mo Vaughn reference, who I guess probably won't gain too much more of a "fan base" than he currently has. (But look at his 10 year run, it's impressive)

I was thinking later after my post and Bonds I believe will be looked at IMO, down the road in a much better light and thought of as a top 5 all time player regardless.

Ryan

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Frank Thomas...he was all but chased out of Chicago by Guillen and the front office...he was called a pansy for not playing through a completely separated tricep...just an all in all odd parting of ways from a system he spent 16 years under. The moment he began to look human, his star fell. He seems to be gaining respect again.

+1. Thomas is one of the greatest of our era and took a back seat to all the PED guys. Would have had another MVP had Giambi not gotten in the way, and his HR numbers would have been way more respected had those other guys HR totals come back down to earth. Thomas has been finally getting praise over the last 1-2 years, but I believe it's just getting started. I see him as a potentially revered figure in the sport a couple years down the road...right up there with Ripken, Ryan, and Jeter.

Also, Thome was so beloved during his career that I see him gaining a rather large fan base as the years go by...possibly his own thread on the boards.

I also agree with the Andrew Jones and Mo Vaughn assessments, which is why I have started small PC's for those guys (although I'm likely not going to continue collecting them since I can't keep up with both of them AND all my current guys).

Maybe Konerko, too? Such I likeable guy who carried the torch in Chicago after Frank was booted, and has great career numbers that never get mentioned.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts