Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you turn down a 350 million dollar offer the play baseball?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
If I were the 23 year old best hitter in baseball and I already had almost $10 million in career earnings with another $16 million already on tap for this season? Yeah I would.

I wouldn't be signing any kind of long term contract until I knew what the new CBA was going to look like.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
Soto is a super talented player, no doubt, but I think that turning down that extension is foolish.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Soto is a super talented player, no doubt, but I think that turning down that extension is foolish.
Why? He's due to make 16 million this year in arbitration, 25 (conservatively) next season, and 35 (conservatively) in Arb 4 then he'll hit free agency at age 26 when he'll have every opportunity to sign a 10+ year, $30+ million per contract. That's $376 million with conservative arb raises and a 10 year/300 million dollar deal at age 26 that would be one of the lower of the current superstar contracts.

I feel like he was likely losing himself $100-150 million if he signed that extension.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Why? He's due to make 16 million this year in arbitration, 25 (conservatively) next season, and 35 (conservatively) in Arb 4 then he'll hit free agency at age 26 when he'll have every opportunity to sign a 10+ year, $30+ million per contract. That's $376 million with conservative arb raises and a 10 year/300 million dollar deal at age 26 that would be one of the lower of the current superstar contracts.
For the same reason that college football and basketball players skip their senior season to enter the draft...they risk injury or regression if they hold out for a higher draft spot and more money. I don't wish for injury, but I hope that Soto sees a regression that ends up costing him a large portion of what he could have had. Turning down a $350 million contract is where I draw the line...enough is enough. Generational money only creates generations of affluent kids/adults - just what the world needs more of.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I don't wish for injury, but I hope that Soto sees a regression that ends up costing him a large portion of what he could have had.

When I saw the news the very first thing that popped into my head is that I realllllly hope something happens that costs him almost all the money. I’ve never been a fan of a salary cap in MLB, BUUUUT when does this end? Should one single player really make a half a billion dollars? The older I get the more I like the idea of max salaries in Major League Baseball, similar to what the NBA has. Turing down 350 million is insane to me, but I’m sure some other team is dumb enough to give him more than that. I just know if my favorite team gave ANYONE 350 million, I’d be extremely mad about it. For most franchises that kind of salary for one player would be crippling to the franchise for decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
When I saw the news the very first thing that popped into my head is that I realllllly hope something happens that costs him almost all the money. I’ve never been a fan of a salary cap in MLB, BUUUUT when does this end? Should one single player really make a half a billion dollars? The older I get the more I like the idea of max salaries in Major League Baseball, similar to what the NBA has. Turing down 350 million is insane to me, but I’m sure some other team is dumb enough to give him more than that. I just know if my favorite team gave ANYONE 350 million, I’d be extremely mad about it. For most franchises that kind of salary for one player would be crippling to the franchise for decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
[/QUOTE]
I never really thought about it in this capacity but the players are mad average salary is slightly decreasing right? That veteran player who isn't amazing is getting less as the teams turn to younger players. Instead of capping a teams salary, cap contracts for individual players, it can still be very high, but that may allow some room for every player to earn more while keeping gms/owners from making bad decisions out of the thought "if I don't someone else will"
Probably needs to be thought out more than that but it's a good point Sam. I'm sure the players would hate it because they don't want anything capped but I think it makes a lot of sense if it's implemented well.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Every player should get paid the same. Then the performances kick in. That way a rookie that outperforms a superstar would get paid more. If that superstar starts sucking at 31 years old then he gets paid for how well he plays. If a player gets hurt, they get the paid the base $$$. If the players do not like it, they can go flip burgers. Gerrit Cole was signed to perform. He sucked in the playoffs. Got Bombed. Was 1-3 against the Rays with an ERA over 5. Last 2 games against the Rays he gave up 5 earned runs in 5 innings and 7 earned runs in 5.1 innings. Thats an ERA for those 2 Games of over 10. Not a $37 million player. He was paid to pitch way better than that. He just plain sucked when it had to count. It seems a lot of players that sign a huge contract that some just do not give a s hit any more. How many times do we see it?

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
A very interesting thought, base pay is the same but every hit, run, stolen base etc ....correlates to increase in pay. I don't see a players union ever accepting it but I kind of love the thought of this. You don't really get paid unless you perform.
Something else would probably have to be included or free agency would become a mess, but it sort of is now anyway

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I never really thought about it in this capacity but the players are mad average salary is slightly decreasing right? That veteran player who isn't amazing is getting less as the teams turn to younger players.

You want to hear something crazy?

In 2018 Adam Wainwright earned $19.5 million, in 2019 it dropped to $10 million. 2020 went down to $2.9 million, and his 2021 salary was $8 million.

In 2022 Adam Wainwright will make $17.5 million, and he’s FORTY. And it’s not part of a back loaded contract either. The Cardinals gave him a new one after the 2021 season.

I’m sure you already know all this, but when I was what he was going to be making in 2022 my mind was blown. I love the guy, and I’m happy for him, but…….that’s a lot for a 40 year old.

Yadi, who will turn 40 during the 2022 season is set to make $10 million on his new one year deal. He made $19.8 in 2018, $20 million in 2019, $7.4 million in 2020 and $9 million in 2021.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
You want to hear something crazy?

In 2018 Adam Wainwright earned $19.5 million, in 2019 it dropped to $10 million. 2020 went down to $2.9 million, and his 2021 salary was $8 million.

In 2022 Adam Wainwright will make $17.5 million, and he’s FORTY. And it’s not part of a back loaded contract either. The Cardinals gave him a new one after the 2021 season.

I’m sure you already know all this, but when I was what he was going to be making in 2022 my mind was blown. I love the guy, and I’m happy for him, but…….that’s a lot for a 40 year old.

Yadi, who will turn 40 during the 2022 season is set to make $10 million on his new one year deal. He made $19.8 in 2018, $20 million in 2019, $7.4 million in 2020 and $9 million in 2021.

Wainwright and Yadi's 2020 contracts were actually for more than the paid figures ($1.85 million for Waino and $7.4 million for Yadi per Spotrac) due to COVID.

Wainwright originally signed for $5 million for 2020.

Yadi was on tap for $20 million in the last year of the 3 year/$60 million dollar deal the Cardinals thought was a good idea to give a catcher in his age 35, 36, and 37 seasons. What's an $18-20 million dollar overpay for a franchise icon right?

Of the two Waino has been worth what the Cardinals have paid him since he turned 35. He's been worth about $79 million and they've paid him just under $59 million for that time frame so he's actually provided about $20 million in surplus. $17.5 million sounds crazy but if he puts up another 3+ fWAR then he's worth every penny of it and more.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
For the same reason that college football and basketball players skip their senior season to enter the draft...they risk injury or regression if they hold out for a higher draft spot and more money. I don't wish for injury, but I hope that Soto sees a regression that ends up costing him a large portion of what he could have had. Turning down a $350 million contract is where I draw the line...enough is enough. Generational money only creates generations of affluent kids/adults - just what the world needs more of.

He's already made and is due "generational money". His career earnings after this season will top $25 million. It's pretty easy to bet on yourself when you already have that kind of money in the bank.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Food for thought. Gerrit Cole makes $750,000 an hour for pitching. Or on average $8,000 per pitch. Soooo next time you watch him pitch just go.

1645653441383.png

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts