Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wow, what a sale. $10,000 for a Jeter '98 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary Refractor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
@smapdi

Black Lotus or dual lands. Crazy prices.

They're high, but Lotuses and the other P9 cards haven't moved terribly much in the last couple years. By that I mean less than a 100% increase. The dual lands, especially blue duals, have all shot up by 100-300% in the last couple years, but they seem to be nearing a ceiling, especially as Modern slowly takes hold and newer players don't feel the need to get into Legacy or Vintage. Even alpha cards are less than what might be expected compared to Unlimited or Revised prices for the same cards. The utility versus pure collector value mediates things somewhat. All this pales compared to sportscards, though. To get into the same realm as something like a Lebron James Exquisite RC, you need to go pretty deep into MTG, like a Summer Magic Underground Sea. There has only been a tiny handful of known MTG sales of 5 figures for a single card, which is not uncommon with sports.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
It's been a week and nothing has been mentioned on beckett.

They totally completely dropped the ball so far. This is possibly the highest selling modern baseball non rc, non auto, non patch of the last decade, maybe more.

Instead, today's hot news article on the site is old.s' latest pick up, a Nick "swish"-er photo from topps vault.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
It's been a week and nothing has been mentioned on beckett.

They totally completely dropped the ball so far. This is possibly the highest selling modern baseball non rc, non auto, non patch of the last decade, maybe more.

Instead, today's hot news article on the site is old.s' latest pick up, a Nick "swish"-er photo from topps vault.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

The man in obsessed with Swisher

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Hopefully this sale will help bring to light this set is one of the first truly rare serial #ed insert sets ever for baseball cards. I've had the Todd Helton in my collection since this product was new to market:

119.original.jpg
119.original.back.jpg

Also for good measure since I own it:

119.original.jpg
119.original.back.jpg

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
Hopefully this sale will help bring to light this set is one of the first truly rare serial #ed insert sets ever for baseball cards. I've had the Todd Helton in my collection since this product was new to market:

119.original.jpg
119.original.back.jpg

119.original.jpg
119.original.back.jpg

AWSOME CARDS!!!!!!!!

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

119.original.jpg
119.original.back.jpg

119.original.jpg
119.original.back.jpg

Nice! Other than any 1/1s, that is easily his best card from his first appearance on card in 1993 to his true rookie season cards of 1998.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
I don't have a retail wrapper, but I'd bet the farm that all parallels were included in retail.

FYI, Golden Anniversary refractors were not included in retail! :) They are not listed on the insert odds on series 1 retail packs. The retail boxes are tough to find, but I bought one just to find out for myself for sure to calculate print runs.

I am up to 83% complete on my 98 bowman chrome golden anniversary set so I like seeing sales like this to bring some attention to the set.

One other point to add is that this set is the first serial #'d bowman chrome set ever, and a very early set for serial numbering at all.

2011-02-59.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
FYI, Golden Anniversary refractors were not included in retail! :) They are not listed on the insert odds on series 1 retail packs. The retail boxes are tough to find, but I bought one just to find out for myself for sure to calculate print runs.

I am up to 83% complete on my 98 bowman chrome golden anniversary set so I like seeing sales like this to bring some attention to the set.

One other point to add is that this set is the first serial #'d bowman chrome set ever, and a very early set for serial numbering at all.

2011-02-59.jpg

Nice , congrats on your quest at the set

Ryan

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Thanks Ryan. 2012 was somewhat discouraging but 2013 has been encouraging with some big pickups. Its got me back rolling on the set...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Freedom Card Board mobile app

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
They're high, but Lotuses and the other P9 cards haven't moved terribly much in the last couple years. By that I mean less than a 100% increase. The dual lands, especially blue duals, have all shot up by 100-300% in the last couple years, but they seem to be nearing a ceiling, especially as Modern slowly takes hold and newer players don't feel the need to get into Legacy or Vintage. Even alpha cards are less than what might be expected compared to Unlimited or Revised prices for the same cards. The utility versus pure collector value mediates things somewhat. All this pales compared to sportscards, though. To get into the same realm as something like a Lebron James Exquisite RC, you need to go pretty deep into MTG, like a Summer Magic Underground Sea. There has only been a tiny handful of known MTG sales of 5 figures for a single card, which is not uncommon with sports.

This is what blew my mind when I went to sell my Magic The Gathering stuff years ago. I thought it was crazy seeing how much people would pay for cards considering most of them didn't seem to really collect the cards as much as they did use them for playing. A black Lotus isn't even that great, playing wise. There's better cards to use. Lotus Vale out of Weatherlight did the same thing but you had to sacrifice two lands when it came into play. Good thing about the lotus vale was it didn't get sacrificed when you used it whereas the black lotus did. It was a land in and of itself. Plus when I was playing, it was a $15 card(one I actually pulled from a pack btw) and the Black Lotus was worth a couple thousand. So I figured that people were paying for them simply because they were collecting but I never really ran across too many people who collected the cards. I guess the thing is people want the first stuff that came out and collect it. To be honest I am surprised mtg is still around. Pokemon and yughio are two ccg's I figured would have been phased out too.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Without going too far into Magic minutia, there is no comparison between Lotus Vale and Black Lotus. Yes, they both have a similar effect but the cost, speed, and utility in getting it is nowhere near the same. Lotus Vale was a pricey card upon release because the way the card is worded allowed you to play it, then choose not to sacrifice two lands, but you could still tap the Vale for 3 before binning it. That was quickly clarified, and reduced the card to a curiosity in the "not a Black Lotus" museum.

The continuation of Magic is amazing to me, too, especially its growth in the last 5 years. I think the quote from Hasbro was that the number of MTG players has doubled about every 12-18 months for the last 5 years. This coincides with some cards being worth a significant amount ($20-50) right out of the pack without being really hard to find; you have a way-better-than-Triple-Threads chance of pulling a card worth more than the price of a pack from each pack. Also, they've clarified the rules to such a point that it's fairly easy to pick up yet there is a wide array of strategies to choose from in a dozen different forms (an hour to learn, a lifetime to master). They've managed to print more and more powerful cards without ruining the game, and while there are occasionally hiccups (as will happen in what might be imagined as a big machine with 12,000 separate parts), the core ideas in the game are simply brilliant. I've never played Yugioh or Pokemon, but I imagine they're also just well-designed games, as opposed to dozens of other CCG's over the years that were too simple, too clunky, or just simply ripoffs. Also, Legend of the 5 Rings has been around nearly as long as Magic and is apparently an elegant game, still going strong, though I've only ever seen people playing it once.

Last edited:

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I see I stand corrected! And happily so - thank you for bringing this to light. Man, good thing I don't own a farm, eh?! :)

I really loved this product. I'm still amazed that series II hobby boxes can be had for $14.00... to me, they are far better than series I boxes, especially given the veteran talent that is in II AND there are a few decent rookies to come out of II - Kevin Millar, Carlos Lee, and probably a few others I am forgetting. Series I had Glaus and I think that is about it for anyone who amounted to anything.

2011-02-59.jpg

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

2011-02-59.jpg
Wowwwww

I'm assuming you have the five Belle's as well? ;)

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Carrsallstars, congrats on the progress! are you 83% done with the golden anniversary set or the golden anniversary REFRACTOR set (or perhaps both)?

either way, very nice accomplishment. I haven't seen any of the players I collect in the past 4 years, if not longer...

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Carrsallstars, congrats on the progress! are you 83% done with the golden anniversary set or the golden anniversary REFRACTOR set (or perhaps both)?

either way, very nice accomplishment. I haven't seen any of the players I collect in the past 4 years, if not longer...

Thanks! That's 83% on the golden anniversary/50 set! IF I had unlimited funds and was crazy enough to attempt it I'd say I've seen maybe 60-70 ga refractors- so that would be only about 15% or so. Even if someone started in 1998 on that it was prior to things being sold online so much so it would be pretty near impossible to complete. I wonder how close I'll ever get on the regular ga as finding all those last commons is going to be a tall order.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Freedom Card Board mobile app

ch2423

Jan 3, 2011
NE Ohio
I was lucky enough to nab the Cruz from this set a few months back. Only cost me $80 which I was very happy with. Haven't seen one before and doubt I ever will again.

JoseCruzJr1998BowmanChromeGoldenAnniversaryRefractor5of57Front.jpg
JoseCruzJr1998BowmanChromeGoldenAnniversaryRefractor5of57Rear.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Nice Cruz GA! did you nab that 98 Select Quasar Cruz that was on on ebay at auction recently? Hope you did...

ch2423

Jan 3, 2011
NE Ohio
Yup I did. Even got all 4 of the Executive Samples that were on COMC. Just waiting for the Quasar to show up before I scan and post them in the 90's thread.

Members online