Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Your Best and Worst Investments for 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Now that 2013 is over, feel free to share your best and worst investments for the year. How you define which investments to include is up to you.

Best:
My best investment for 2013 was Kris Bryant. I expected him to have a very big college season. However, it seems that few realize how epic it was due to the new bats. I think I more than tripled my money on him. Prices seemed to take forever to rise too.

...then Christmas week, Tanaka got posted. I learned about Tanaka after the Jose Abreu news and invested in a ton of base. I hate base cards. They typically take up space and do nothing. I didn't know if I was being a genius or just plain stupid. I got a couple Refractors for $10 each and a 2010 Topps Tribute /25 for ~$40. I sold the base between $4-$40 each and the Refractors between $40 and $160 [BGS 9.5] each. I turned $200 to $1000+ [after fees] in only a couple months. It's my first time ever being so successful in an investment [time and % increase].

Worst:
Trevor Bauer: Thought he'd be great. Was very wrong and sold items for about half my buy in. I've waited 2 years and moved a few items along the way. Still have a few items remaining but I consider it a failure. He can still be great but I'd rather put funds elsewhere. Plus, I've never seen a prospect so disliked though I'll always be a fan.

Danny Hultzen: Sheez, I found a way to screw up 2011. Just sold an elite auto /25 for $20. Paid $75. Thankfully, I moved a couple items a while back.

Eddie Rosario: I only lost money on an Orange auto. Paid $200 for a BGS 9, cracked and resubmitted to get a BGS 9. Sold for $75 after the news of his suspension a month or two back. Lost close to $150 after fees.

And then there's a bunch of stuff that's stagnant. I don't like stuff that sits still because the stuff doesn't do anything for me when it doesn't move. Zunino and Taillon come to mind. Did cash in nicely on some Zunino though. And Gregory Polanco too, my biggest stash ever. I still think Polanco can be great but I've seen Correa and Buxton gain value during the same time period from the same release. I could be buying Polanco now instead of May.

I hope to hear some of you guys' stories for the year.

Last edited:

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Good topic.

Did well on:
Alshon Jeffery
Nolan Arenado
Henry Owens
Archie Bradley
Kevin Gausman

Failed miserably on Anthony Rendon. He just didn't have a good peak....still holding my blues though.

Did kind of well on Wilmer Flores after all that too.

Last edited:

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Now that I look back at my sales, I lost a good amount on dorssys paulino too.

Guess I'll be figuring out how the heck I'll be paying taxes on this stuff this year.

Members online

Latest posts