Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

109 Bowman Blue Wave Redemption Packs - Screwed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Topps is playing games with these Blue Wave Redemption packs, or maybe it's just poor underpaid customer service reps making some money on the side. The packs for each customer are being hand collated. They have boxes labeled Auto Packs, Non Auto Packs, Red Wave Packs. I know this because they shipped 78 of my packs inside a box that said "NON AUTO PACKS", it was loosely scratched off, but still easily readable. I emailed Mark Sapir at Topps about it. Explained my concern. He forwarded my email to Kathy Scoda who stated that she did insert autos and tried to scratch the sticker off but didn't want to ruin the box, and he replied back to me "fyi". Based upon the odds, Red Wave should fall every 3.6 packs, Autos every 5.3 packs. Out of my 109 packs, I hit 29 Red Wave cards which was EXACTLY spot on the odds. Out of my 109 packs I hit 4 autos. Yes, 4. Based upon the odds, I should have hit 20. I emailed Mark again, to which I got no reply. I called customer service about an hour and a half ago and after mentioning my concern was immediately hung up on. I tried calling back 2 more times and couldn't get through. Tried one more time and reached a CS rep that didn't hang up. She fed me a line about no stated odds, to which I informed her that this was unacceptable. I hit exactly the odds on red waves, but hit 1/5th the odds on Autos? If CS reps know which packs have autos (which they do) what exactly is stopping them from back-dooring these cards? She notified me that she would pass my request on to her supervisor and I should hear back in about a day.

Here is a pick of the box. Another guy on Blowout also had the same issue with the same boxes.
photo1.jpg

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
So you are complaining that you didnt get more FREE stuff that some people didnt get any of? That's how I read it. Is the system crappy, sure, but at least you got your packs. Hell, most people the opened thier cases , or individual boxes ONE or TWO days after release aren't getting packs.
I am sooo sorry for the price of postage, you got 29 Red Waves, and received 4 Auto's, and a bunch of other limited edition cards!
Jim, I hope you are better than this.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
So you are complaining that you didnt get more FREE stuff that some people didnt get any of? That's how I read it. Is the system crappy, sure, but at least you got your packs. Hell, most people the opened thier cases , or individual boxes ONE or TWO days after release aren't getting packs.
I am sooo sorry for the price of postage, you got 29 Red Waves, and received 4 Auto's, and a bunch of other limited edition cards!
Jim, I hope you are better than this.

This is kind of down the same road as those angry the big hits arent all in the cases they buy.

Jim is in this for profit so i understand where he's coming from. I'm just glad that at least in some cases, the worm is turning in favor of the smaller buyers/collectors.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Who cares if Jim is in it for profit? This doesn't sound like a run of bad luck. If the Topps employees are backdooring the auto packs, it not only affects people like Jim who bust a lot of product but also the guy that sends in his 2 boxes worth of wrappers hoping for an auto only to never know he never even had a chance to pull a "randomly inserted" auto.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
This whole pack redemption thing is a crock of steaming orangutan ****. Topps got my wrappers on Saturday, JPs wrappers were delivered on Saturday and neither of us are getting any. Peope have gotten their packs and their wrappers were delivered on Monday. Michael Eisner can suck my *******.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
You didn't think this was going to go off perfectly, did you? I would expect a bulk of the redeemed wrappers were opened in japan, then overnighted to Topps before the US stuff even was released!

These were free. You were getting a chance at something for nothing.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
You didn't think this was going to go off perfectly, did you? I would expect a bulk of the redeemed wrappers were opened in japan, then overnighted to Topps before the US stuff even was released!

These were free. You were getting a chance at something for nothing.
Quit being a lawyer for a second and think like a normal human. Topps has been saying all along first come first serve. I am OK with that. Our wrappers got their Saturday and we are not getting anything. People got their wrappers to Topps on Monday and they already have their packs. WTF does Japan have to do this equation?

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Topps got my wrappers on Saturday, JPs wrappers were delivered on Saturday and neither of us are getting any.

Actually, things have changed since yesterday. I decided to call them back today, and they are now saying I am scheduled to receive my allocated number of packs after all, and they will ship either today or tomorrow. As I suspected, my shipment simply hadn't been entered into their system until today.

For this reason, I suggest any of you who haven't done so already, call them if you want an update. 800-489-9149, then press "2".

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
Actually, things have changed since yesterday. I decided to call them back today, and they are now saying I am scheduled to receive my allocated number of packs after all, and they will ship either today or tomorrow. As I suspected, my shipment simply hadn't been entered into their system until today.

For this reason, I suggest any of you who haven't done so already, call them if you want an update. 800-489-9149, then press "2".

I will call. Thanks

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Maybe they should give people the option of a Gold Refractor set or autographed set.

And ya know, that was still bullshiz. One thing that a lot of us on BMB noted, that never came out, was that they swapped the production numbers on the gold redemption vs. the xfractor redemptions. THere were always 2x the gold refractor sets vs. the xfractor redemtions... the golds were allegedly limited to 50 and xfractors to 125, but I remember counting over 40 gold redemption sets and less than 20 xfractors.

Meh.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Quit being a lawyer for a second and think like a normal human. Topps has been saying all along first come first serve. I am OK with that. Our wrappers got their Saturday and we are not getting anything. People got their wrappers to Topps on Monday and they already have their packs. WTF does Japan have to do this equation?

Maybe Topps doesn't like you.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
And ya know, that was still bullshiz. One thing that a lot of us on BMB noted, that never came out, was that they swapped the production numbers on the gold redemption vs. the xfractor redemptions. THere were always 2x the gold refractor sets vs. the xfractor redemtions... the golds were allegedly limited to 50 and xfractors to 125, but I remember counting over 40 gold redemption sets and less than 20 xfractors.

Meh.
That was one of the great fiascos from the old BMB...long before the famed "Thanks Topps" response.

A total nightmare for those involved.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Sorry, the other person who received the same boxes pulled 12 autos from his 109ish packs.

I only got 4 autos. Not 12.

I understand that I'm pissing into the wind with people that are upset they got no packs, but realize I didn't create the rules, I just busted my packs and sent them in.

The larger point still remains. If Topps Customer service knows which packs have autos, which packs have red waves, and which packs have nothing, why would they fulfill my order (or anyone's) with odds that don't play similar to the mathematical odds. Regardless of stated odds, the math is the math, and the Red Waves fell EXACTLY on the math, yet my autos fell at 1/5th of the mathematical odds.

I hope this plays out for the rest of you that get packs to get autos 1 in 2 packs, but if nobody gets autos more frequently than 1:5 then something is wrong.