Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who was the G.O.A.T Ruth or Mantle???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Had this discussion today, we know these to giants are from different era's, but who is the greatest baseball player and why?

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I think you meant greater...I'm still of the group that ted Williams or Willie mays was the greatest player of all time. All amazing players no doubt...its a tough argument because you could make a solid case for all of them and others

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Bogeysave82

Jan 16, 2013
Tough one I'd give it to Mantle. Both of there lifestyles were very similar just seems Mantle was a little more injury prone...

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I think you meant greater...I'm still of the group that ted Williams or Willie mays was the greatest player of all time. All amazing players no doubt...its a tough argument because you could make a solid case for all of them and others

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

As I stated, 2 completely different eras, beasts in their own time.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I say Ruth, not only was he one of the best hitters of all time, he was one of the best HR hitters as well, not to mention he was one hell of a pitcher.

Other than that my nod for greatest ball player of all time goes to hammerin' hank.

3771 hits (3'rd all time)
754 Home Runs (2'nd all time)
2297 RBI (1'st all time)
6856 TB (1'st all time)

Not to mention a .305 lifetime BA spanning a productive career that lasted 23 years. 21 AS game appearances, Top 10 in MVP voting 13 times, top 3 seven times, and was a MVP candidate 19 years in a row. Oh, he also stole 240 bases and was a multiple GG winner.

Last edited:

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I say Ruth, not only was he one of the best hitters of all time, he was one of the best HR hitters as well, not to mention he was one hell of a pitcher as well.

Other than that my nod for greatest ball player of all time goes to hammerin' hank.

3771 hits (3'rd all time)
754 Home Runs (2'nd all time)
2297 RBI (1'st all time)
6856 TB (1'st all time)

Not to mention a .305 lifetime BA spanning a productive career that lasted 23 years. 21 AS game appearances, Top 10 in MVP voting 13 times, top 3 seven times, and was a MVP candidate 19 years in a row. Oh, he also stole 240 bases and was a multiple GG winner.

To add to this, I believe Ruth used a 54oz bat, instead of the standard 33-34oz that mantle used. Kinda like bringing a knife to a sword fight.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
If your just picking between Ruth and Mantle I would say Ruth and its not even close. Ruth's numbers are better and he totally changed the game. Ruth is a top 3 all time player and I think you would have a hard time finding anyone that puts Mantle in that category.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
If your just picking between Ruth and Mantle I would say Ruth and its not even close. Ruth's numbers are better and he totally changed the game. Ruth is a top 3 all time player and I think you would have a hard time finding anyone that puts Mantle in that category.

+1

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Just imagine how good Mantle could have been if he'd had two good legs.

I'd go with Mays, myself.

Oscar Charleston also needs to be in this discussion.

BallCard_Blog

Jan 24, 2013
One of the thing people forget is that Ruth was also a great pitcher. He was arguably just as good on the mound as he was at the plate.

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
I'm going to have to go with Ruth. He was leagues beyond the nearest competition while I'd argue that both Mays and Williams were better players than Mantle.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Just imagine how good Mantle could have been if he'd had two good legs.

I imagine the nights out with Billy Martin, Whitey Ford and the "boys" took quite a toll on his career, at least long-term.

And like said, most people would not put Mantle that high up, unless you're talking about popularity. The only way Mantle could be close to Ruth is if you're measuring Popularity among the general public. Both had entire generations looking up to them as Diety-like figures...

Members online

Latest posts