Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOBBY speaking, is delmon young the biggest bust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
All those mid-00s Beckett-group fueled BC/BDP guys like Butler, LaPorta, Tuiasosopo, Einertson, Gordon, Upton (pick one) etc., way oversold on a willing group of youngsters who every year would become enamored of the next big thing. Even if there wasn't a truly great prospect in a particular product, the market treated whoever the best guy out of that particular group like he was.

But a baseball career is long, and the market is always evolving, leaving the last next big thing behind. A guy like Ryan Zimmerman, who was the big autograph in 2005 BDP, IIRC, has had a fine career, but he's no more an HOFer than Billy Butler, and the $90 or whatever his BC autos sold for at one point sure seem farcical now. I wonder what they would have sold for if he had gotten a few less hits in 2005, so people didn't spend all winter staring at that ".397" on his statline and dreaming of things to come.

If you listen to enough prospectors, on the other hand, no prospect is ever a bust, because there's always one guy who claims he knew that the guy was going to crap out and sold his stash at the height of the market before it happened. Someone had to be selling all those Young gold refs, after all. If you're doing it right, you'll never have to deal with a bust, either. I say this as a guy still holding onto the Joel Zumaya TC blue refractor, waiting for him to make his big comeback.

The worst bust of all time, sorry to say, is someone like Nick Adenhart, who literally had no time to decline before his market was upended.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
29-19 2.96 1.07 Those arent the numbers of a bust, they are pretty damn good.

stuff wise, stras isn't a bust. delmon and many others listed are.
$$ wise most are busts.

But are those the numbers of a guy who was getting $30 per base chrome card? Or $1000 for a base bowman auto?

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I'm not arguing the hype. But he hasnt been a bust. He is a very good pitcher, with a bright future, if he can stay healthy, which can be said for anyone.

Delmon was can't miss, do everything and never did anything. Stras was can't miss and puts up all star type numbers.

There are more factors involved also, assumed scarcity of the autos at the time. I'm not saying either of these guys are or aren't the correct answers, just saying, stras isn't a bust at this point.
He is a very good pitcher.

Arod is a bust at this point, career and hobby wise. He was going to be the saviour, 800 hrs. He is toast now.
There are plenty of examples of guys who were going to be great and sucked.

I don't believe that to be the case with strasburg.

Last edited:

toadfan106

May 2, 2009
I would say either Jose Canseco or Don Mattingly. Back in the heyday of massive overproduction, there were times that both of their rookie cards commanded over $100. Neither had Hall of Fame careers and those same rookies can now be had for a few dollars. Having grown up in NY during the 80's, I know a number of people who bought huge quantities of Mattingly at near peak prices and pretty much lost their entire investment. Most of the recent guys are really just a few people paying big bucks for the really scarce, low # stuff. Back in the 80's, there were people who knew nothing about cards throwing money into Mattingly and Canseco rookies hoping to strike it rich.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
I said he was a bust before he even pitched. I was told I didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground. Then he got hurt and again I was told I didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground. 20k for a card of a guy that never pitched? If he is not the biggest bust, there are a lot of people on this site that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Just because someone overpays for a card that does not make him a bust. He is 29 and 19 with a Career era under 3. \

He still has time to become one, but also has time to have a decent career.

So, so far you still don't know .....

Edit to add - Wally Joyner

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I would say either Jose Canseco or Don Mattingly. Back in the heyday of massive overproduction, there were times that both of their rookie cards commanded over $100. Neither had Hall of Fame careers and those same rookies can now be had for a few dollars. Having grown up in NY during the 80's, I know a number of people who bought huge quantities of Mattingly at near peak prices and pretty much lost their entire investment. Most of the recent guys are really just a few people paying big bucks for the really scarce, low # stuff. Back in the 80's, there were people who knew nothing about cards throwing money into Mattingly and Canseco rookies hoping to strike it rich.

I agree with canseco. If canseco would have had a 1986 bowman chrome gold ref auto and the rest, they would have been bigger than life. 1/1 easily over stras.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
How so? His cards still sell very well.

The iconic 2010 Bowman Paper auto still sells for $200 or more.

Sure, it has declined some. People are afraid to invest in him because of the Nats having an innings limit on him. If he proves himself for another 1-2 years that could blow up again. He is an elite pitcher. I wouldn't call that a bust, yet.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
Me.

I knew for a fact that Mike Trout was Drew Stubbs 2.0

I couldn't have been more wrong.

I almost want to kick myself for what I am about to say because I believe he is the real deal. I may be wrong, but once Trout settles in, I believe his card values will drop. Especially considering Topps puts him in everything and his supply of autos increases.

I remember this exact kind of hype over Grady Sizemore who put up very "Trout-esque" numbers early in his career. We all know how that turned out.

I personally am staying away from Trout cards at current prices. Could backfire on me though and watch him go to Pujols levels on the Bowman chrome auto...

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Todd Van Poppel, Mark Pawelek, Rick Asadorian, Fausto Carmona a.k.a Robeto Hernndez wa en fego after he went 19-8 in his second season. Too many others to even remember them all...

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Hideki Irabu was a pretty big bust considering the hype he got internationally.

Can't remember if he had any key releases though.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
How much do you have of them?Wasn't Hughes an All Star one year?
Its not that I have a lot. I collect anything Yankees but I dont have a ton of there autos or higher end because back when there was all the hype with those two guys it was too expensive to get the higher end items. I have not looked at Joba lately but Hughes autos are not all that expensive. He is not yet in the dollar box yet but when he is I will fill some slots in the binders.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I don't recall Sizemore having much hype at all until about 2007 or so when people said he was one of the best young players, which he was. But he was always a long shot at having a HOF type of career. Was never on track for either 3000 hits or 500 homers, just a good all-around power/speed combination, with a startling number of strikeouts for a leadoff hitter. In the end, he got seriously injured a couple times, which I don't think is the same as not being able to perform at the highest level. And, supposedly, he's looking to make a comeback this year, which would be sweet.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Kerry Wood. His base Chrome RC was $80-$100. So relatively speaking I will say he is up there in the discussion.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts