Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Any vintage game used experts out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
My buddy owns a pawn shop in Texas. A guy sold this to him for $30.
2h6f6ki.jpg

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Dammit, still trying to get the hang of the site software
2e14z9d.jpg

The player is Ernie Orsatti. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Orsatti

I know NOTHING about vintage gamers. It passes the eyeball test, stitched everything, wool (flannel?) jersey, "Orsatti 3 30" on the back.

One one hand, why would a Cardinals gamer show up in a random pawn shop in TX? On the other hand, why would anyone fake an unknown player's jersey? Did they sell them in sporting goods stores back in the 30's?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I forgot to take a good picture of the tag, because of course I didn't. It's Spalding & Co, circular design, which I'll try to match with 1930's STL jerseys.

I'm gonna buy it from him for $75. If its fake, @sambanks will get a unique birthday present soon

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I forgot to take a good picture of the tag, because of course I didn't. It's Spalding & Co, circular design, which I'll try to match with 1930's STL jerseys.

I'm gonna buy it from him for $75. If its fake, @sambanks will get a unique birthday present soon

This might help date the jersey--http://www.antiquesportscollector.com/TagsMain.html If you want more info let me know.

Also, if you move the jersey please, and not to Sam, please let me know, thanks.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
This might help date the jersey--http://www.antiquesportscollector.com/TagsMain.html If you want more info let me know.

Also, if you move the jersey please, and not to Sam, please let me know, thanks.

Thanks for the help, George. Sam was the only Cardinals collector I could think of. If real, I'll definitely contact you first. I was just gonna give it to him if it was fake

Spalding1929b.jpg

This is the one. 1925-35. Matches up with when he played for them.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
If real, it was worn before 1932. That's the year they started putting numbers on the back.

One thing that concerns me: here's Dizzy Dean from the early 30's
img285.jpg

Notice how the red pinstripe ends at the logo. Mine goes all the way down

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Thanks for the help, George. Sam was the only Cardinals collector I could think of. If real, I'll definitely contact you first. I was just gonna give it to him if it was fake

Spalding1929b.jpg

This is the one. 1925-35. Matches up with when he played for them.

Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick, lol.

You can give it to George if he wants it, and you want to get rid of it. He's a solid dude.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I just don't know what's up with the stitching on the sleeve. Only red flag I see, and it's a big one. I've personally never seen that. But like Will said, why would anyone fake this random dude's jersey?

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos

Kid4hof03

Jan 10, 2014
Burlington, NJ
In those days (really all the way up until the 80's) many if not most teams would recycle jerseys by sending them to the minor leagues where names and numbers would be removed and/or replaced, if the team name was the same they would leave it in tact but something could easily be added to the sleeves in it's second life. Also, a lot of teams donated their uniforms to boys clubs, youth leagues and the like so it could have been reused in many different ways, that would give some clue if not an explanation for the sleeves.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
MrMet, that's a HUGE help! Thanks.

I saw another GU Cardinals jersey from 1932 that had "3 32 44," with 44 being the jersey number. It gives me hope since this one says "3 30" (March 1930, when the season started and uniforms were issued), and uniform #'s weren't used at that time.

Looks like 1929-1930 have the pinstripes running to the bottom on home jerseys. If it is real, it's from one of those two years. Most likely '30

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Very cool. If it was issued in 1930, that's a Cardinals World Series championship year, so should get a little more attention.

1930 Team Photo with Orsatti, and uniforms with stitching down middle:

1930Cardinals.jpg

Last edited:

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Post this on gameusedforum.com, you should get some more info there.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The guys at net54 should be able to help as well. Sweet item.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
At the advice of a member, I contacted Jeff Scott at birdsbats.net. He thinks its legit.

Pretty cool. No idea about the value though

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
At the advice of a member, I contacted Jeff Scott at birdsbats.net. He thinks its legit.

Pretty cool. No idea about the value though

If you move it you might want to go to an auction house. Looking into it to make an offer and I guess it is $500-1000 min. I now this is a wide range but who knows with the player. I paid $300 for a 1920-early 30s cardinals common player jacket and a jersey should do better.

Nice find!

Members online

Latest posts