Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Carlos Gomez is a sack of crap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You blame Gomez for McCann blocking the plate, and you blame Gomez for Cole starting it. So if Gomez starts it by talking and McCann gets in his face it's Gomez fault, and if Cole starts it by talking and Gomez gets in his face it's also Gomez's fault. Sounds like you are just a Braves fan with some butthurtness for Gomez. Otherwise, I don't see how both could reasonably be argued to be his fault. Either McCann and Gomez or Cole and Gomez.
The bolded seems to be the only reason why this thread was created.
Pretty much all of the 30+ responses disagree with him that only Gomez is to blame.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
If he runs full effort from the moment he hits the ball, thats an inside the park home run or very close to it. He has the speed to make it, but he did not have the effort and the want to.

To be honest, Gomez has more effort and want to in his pinky than most players in the league. He did pick a bad moment to go into a home run trot prematurely.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
The Gomez hate is confusing to me. For a while I was wondering if people were confusing him with Nyjer Morgan. How many outbursts have there been? To me it doesn't seem like Gomez doesn't get involved with THAT much conflict.

The way I see this thing with Cole, A) He didn't pimp his hit all that much if he still got to 3rd with a hit to center field. B) Even though he pimped it (at around a major league pimping average) in my book a newbie doesn't run up on a veteran all star cussing and frothing. (and then proceed to be the ONLY Pirate on the field walking in the other direction.)

This stuff with McCann being brought up isn't Gomez's fault either. If I recall correctly, the Braves were XXXXXing about everything for like a week prior to that incident, and after. Mostly about home run pimping.
But Gilmore kinda summed it up best through this thread so far:

And you are saying that Cole saying something to Gomez warranted his behavior? Now that is a reach.
I don't care what was said to him.

But Then

Brian McCann didn't confront Gomez because he stared at a home run. He did it because he jawed at each of his teammates individually.

This logic dictates that Gomez cannot react to an (almost rookie) pitcher cussing him out for barely pimping - - but that McCann can BLOCK HOME PLATE after Gomez jaws at his boys.
I've never seen a catcher block someone at home plate after a homer. A homer which was "retribution" for being plunked. Gomez deserved to chatter on that one anyway. I was in awe. Of course my first thought was: would he stand there if it was Prince Fielder? It would have been slightly more interesting.

Relevant article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-run-trots-except-those-by-the-atlanta-braves

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
The Gomez hate is confusing to me. For a while I was wondering if people were confusing him with Nyjer Morgan. How many outbursts have there been? To me it doesn't seem like Gomez doesn't get involved with THAT much conflict.

The way I see this thing with Cole, A) He didn't pimp his hit all that much if he still got to 3rd with a hit to center field. B) Even though he pimped it (at around a major league pimping average) in my book a newbie doesn't run up on a veteran all star cussing and frothing. (and then proceed to be the ONLY Pirate on the field walking in the other direction.)

This stuff with McCann being brought up isn't Gomez's fault either. If I recall correctly, the Braves were XXXXXing about everything for like a week prior to that incident, and after. Mostly about home run pimping.
But Gilmore kinda summed it up best through this thread so far:

But Then

This logic dictates that Gomez cannot react to an (almost rookie) pitcher cussing him out for barely pimping - - but that McCann can BLOCK HOME PLATE after Gomez jaws at his boys.
I've never seen a catcher block someone at home plate after a homer. A homer which was "retribution" for being plunked. Gomez deserved to chatter on that one anyway. I was in awe. Of course my first thought was: would he stand there if it was Prince Fielder? It would have been slightly more interesting.

Relevant article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-run-trots-except-those-by-the-atlanta-braves
The article proves McCann is an idiot. I am praying that Ortiz hits a mammoth home run against the Yanks this week and just stands there to admire it. We'll see how big and tough McCann is then....

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
For those saying he didn't leg it out, from the few viewings I I had it didn't look like it took him too long to get from home to first.

It wouldn't have been an inside the park no doubter in my mind. A play at the plate where he was out at best probably.

Triple all the way off the misplay by the 'MVP'.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Carlos Gomez is a heck of a player, but he can't help his team if he's going to get ejected early due to being an idiot and face a possible suspension.

If he can't control his temper, then his opponents will control it for him, to their own benefit.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Looks like Gomez got into Braun's stash, that's some roid rageish violent behavior.

But really that's entirely unacceptable behavior from Andrew McCutcheon on what should've been a routine fly ball.

This entire scenario could've been avoidable if he hadn't played like Bryce Harper and ran into the wall.

Just a reminder: Protect yourself and your team. Don't play like Bryce Harper.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Maldonado is the sack of crap. That is all..

That was one of the better punches in recent memory. One day, Maldy knocks the cover off the ball; a few days latter, he almost knocks Sniders face off his head.

I'm not really going to defend the back-up catcher, but he was defending HIS guy from a player that wasn't on the field yet was right in the fight

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Is there a disconnect between Caucasian/or simply American and Latin players? This seems to be magnified when these two dynamics are mixed.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Wasnt that the third issue the braves had with supposed disrespect last season? If we're looking for patterns, I'm thinking there is one to be found there.
Correct. None of them do this with the Phillies because they're taught to respect their elders, and it's hard to find anyone in the NL older than the Phillies pitching staff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online