Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

John Lackey Traded to the Cardinals For Allen Craig/Joe Kelly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Just reported by Heyman. Details to follow here.

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
red sox expected to get ML ready OF and pitcher back for lackey from [MENTION=4883]stlcards[/MENTION].

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Good for Taveras' future. Locks him in as their everyday OF. :mrgreen:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I was hoping the Sox would be able to move Jake Peavy to the Cards for Craig a while back. This is much better, although Lackey has been a beast since coming back from Tommy John. I never thought I'd be sad to see Lackey gone, but at least his very bad option for 2015 is another team's problem now!

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
I never thought Cherington could top getting rid of all that payroll at the end of 2012 (AGone, Beckett, Crawford & little Nicky Punto), but getting the cleanup hitter for best team in AL this year with at least one more year of control in Cespedes, the cleanup hitter for the best NL team last year and up and comer Allen Craig, serviceable SP Joe Kelly, and some very nice pitching prospects from SF in exchange for Lester, Lackey & Peavy might just top it!

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
MLB Network saying they're a better team today than they were yesterday. I think they might be overstating it, but warms the cuckolds of this fan's heart.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Lots of good pitching prospects in St. Louis. Would really like a good SP guy, but we'll see.

I thought some combo of Cooney/Petrick/Kaminsky/Gonzales/Piscotty would head the other way.Kelly is a decent starter though.Maybe Craig will rediscover his bat there.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
As someone who has a lot of autos of Webster, ranaudo, workman, Owens, Barnes, etc I'm down for all these vet starters being traded.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Unreal that Bostonians are weeping about these trades. If you disagree with what they're doing, you're an idiot and need to be punched in the nose, Mike Tyson style.

Can't believe Cards gave up Kelly AND Craig, even with a down season, for Lackey. Mind-numbing. Absolutely mind-numbing.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Sox doing a nice job retooling for next year. They will crater the rest of this year without any serviceable pitchers, but they have totally rebuilt their batting order for next year and can spend money on the big free agent arms that will be available for 2015.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Unreal that Bostonians are weeping about these trades. If you disagree with what they're doing, you're an idiot and need to be punched in the nose, Mike Tyson style.

Can't believe Cards gave up Kelly AND Craig, even with a down season, for Lackey. Mind-numbing. Absolutely mind-numbing.

I'm sad to see Lackey go, given the great year he was having, but he has hinted that he might not even play next year. He had a contract clause that basically said if he missed a season due to injury, his last year's salary would be 500K. It was widely assumed the Sox would give him an extension, voiding that 500K salary, but the idea of retiring instead of playing for just 500K was a possibility. Now it's the Cards' problem; extend him soon, or let him retire and have nothing to show for it except a loss in the NLCS.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I like the fact that they could resign Lester after the season and got great compensation for him right now.. Lackey has been a real love/hate(mostly hate) in Boston so they got a great deal there. Can't complain one bit about the deals that they've made to this point.

AND... they moved Doubront too!!

Last edited:

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Kelly should return to form-- he could be the best steal of all these guys the Sox picked up. Escobar kicked a$$ in his debut today. Cespedes will mash. Craig should be solid. Hembree could end up their closer next year and onwards.

Bring up the youth! The team should be exciting to watch next year.

Hoping that Travis Shaw can be their starting first-basemen next year too.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
After the initial shock of hearing this trade, as a Cardinals fan, I'm not bothered by it...for a lot of reasons:

1) It gives them the chance to see what they really have in Taveras. Plus he's YOUNG. Everyone wants to rip him for not being a super star out the gate. Give him time to adjust and mature, then we can see what he's really capable of.
2) If Taveras isn't the future of the franchise, they have a lot of other young, cost controlled outfielders to give a shot to that they didn't give up.
3) They gain a proven, cheap (next year at $500K) veteran presence in the starting rotation, which could help take some load of Waino going into the stretch and next year.
4) Craig obviously is having a sup par year, but given his age, injury record and future salaries, it frees up a lot in terms of other players and money options.
5) Matt Adams is becoming a superb hitter. I'll take him at 1st base over Craig going forward any day.
6) Also landed a young starting pitcher in the deal, and we all know how the Cardinals love young pitching.

I see a lot of upside. Lackey could also be over the hill and we really don't gain anything, but I think the main thing to remember is the Taveras angle.

I like it.

I just hope they don't mortgage the farm for David Price at this point...

Members online

Latest posts