Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lets say you had a new great idea for a card............

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
For example, lets say you had an idea and you were the guy that came up with powerdeck, putting inscriptions on cards, gu dirt, etc.......yet you didn't work for a card company. Would you simply volunteer said idea to card companies, or would there be a way to get compensated for your idea?

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Maybe approach them with idea and have them sign full disclosure agreement that if they don't like idea, they can't use it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

autocut

For example, lets say you had an idea and you were the guy that came up with powerdeck, putting inscriptions on cards, gu dirt, etc.......yet you didn't work for a card company. Would you simply volunteer said idea to card companies, or would there be a way to get compensated for your idea?

I've done it a few times. The idea is not an issue unless you have to do the design, etc.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Would you simply volunteer said idea to card companies, or would there be a way to get compensated for your idea?

no, wouldn't volunteer becuase you know the reason most companies say they can't use submitted ideas is likely because they don't want to be sued or have to pay the use the idea.

I would patent that idea and then release an unlicensed product using that idea. If it's a great idea, then Topps or Panini, etc. probably will approach you to license the idea. If they use the idea without a license or agreement, then you can sue them for patent infringement.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Doesnt it cost like 2500 to file a patent? So not worth it for a card design.

I wouldn't be surprised if it costs that to get a patent, but the idea if you can get it catch on has the potential to make more than $2500 in revenue -- either by card manufacturers paying you to own the idea or by you licensing the idea to card manufacturers to use in their product for the licensing term and specified products.

If you want to value the idea at $0 and say it makes no economic sense to patent it, go ahead. If one is really serious about their idea and assumes it's a good thing for the hobby, they have at least a punchers chance of making up the patent cost and more.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So it's like you coming up with the idea of placing a relic in a baseball card 15 years ago? So you can patient that?

Hmm I guess I'm confused. There are rules for what you can and can't patient and at some level it better be a freaking crazy idea like a specific fold-out or some sort of micro chip in the card because I think you'll have trouble with a patient for something simple - they'll just replicate it in a slightly different way.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Plus, you said you'll then have to release an unlicensed product? I don't know you from a hole in the head but that's not as easy as it sounds. Design, manufacturing, distribution, etc. On top of your patient expenses, etc.

Good luck. Hope it's a sweet idea.

---

autocut

Plus, you said you'll then have to release an unlicensed product? I don't know you from a hole in the head but that's not as easy as it sounds. Design, manufacturing, distribution, etc. On top of your patient expenses, etc.

Good luck. Hope it's a sweet idea.

---

He would probably just have to create a website and selling from it, do all of the advertising, and shipping.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
What's the idea

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
The person who patented the Game used technology just had their patent invalidated after 10 years and spending craploads of money..

A minor modification can help any company skirt your idea (and compensating you)..

If it's a game changer, I'm listening and would consider taking care if you depending on the uniqueness..

Word of caution: many ideas we hear as "original" have been considered by other companies and ourselves but are not feasible for some reason..

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts