Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

James Shields Signs a 4-Year Deal With the Padres

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Surprised no one's posted this yet.

Padres To Sign James Shields
By Charlie Wilmoth [February 9, 2015 at 1:05am CST]
The Padres have agreed to terms with James Shields on a four-year deal likely between $72MM and $78MM, SB Nation’s Chris Cotillo reports (Twitter links). The deal also includes a club option. Shields is a client of PSI Sports Management.

This weekend, it emerged that the Padres had offered Shields a deal similar to what he’ll evidently receive, with other reporting indicating that Shields, a California native, was interested in pitching in San Diego. The Cubs, Marlins and Blue Jays had also recently been connected to Shields.

The deal continues an enormous offseason makeover for the Padres, who have added Matt Kemp, Justin Upton, Wil Myers, Derek Norris and Will Middlebrooks to boost their offense. Shields will head a rotation that was already fairly productive in 2014, when the Padres enjoyed good seasons from Andrew Cashner, Tyson Ross, Ian Kennedy and Odrisamer Despaigne. Shields also improves their pitching for the future, as Kennedy will be eligible for free agency following next season and Cashner can become eligible after 2016.

It’s not clear how well Shields will maintain his value. His new deal will carry him through his age-36 season, and he’s pitched at least 200 innings in each of the last eight years, including at least 227 in all of the last four. There’s also the question of how well the Padres’ revamped defense (which doesn’t figure to be nearly as good next year as the Royals’ was in 2014) will be able to support Shields.

In the grand scheme, however, the Padres have added an impact player at a reasonable price. Shields is a very good starting pitcher whose calling card is his ability to limit walks (with an excellent 1.7 BB/9 in 2014). His strikeout and ground ball numbers aren’t as exceptional (and his strikeout rate has declined in recent seasons), but they’re certainly good enough, given his control. Shields also has an extremely clean health record thus far and a reputation as a good teammate. And like most pitchers, he should benefit from PETCO Park and a move to the National League. MLBTR ranked Shields the third-best free agent available this offseason, and yet his total price will be a bit more than a third of Max Scherzer‘s and about half of Jon Lester‘s. That’s partly a function of their respective ages and the structures of their contracts, but regardless, the Padres’ financial commitment to Shields should be relatively bearable even if Shields is a disappointment. The addition of a club option could also be a coup for San Diego, depending on its cost.

Shields rejected the Royals’ qualifying offer, so the Royals will add a pick at the end of the first round. The Padres, meanwhile, will lose their top overall pick, No. 13 overall.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Could this be the year San Diego wins it all?

Not likely, but at least there is hope this year.

Go Padres!

"Big game" James isn't even really that great. I never understood why people would mention him along Scherzer and Lester when speaking of top pitching free agents. I watched a lot of NL west games last year and I actually like Tyson Ross the most on that staff.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
"Big game" James isn't even really that great. I never understood why people would mention him along Scherzer and Lester when speaking of top pitching free agents. I watched a lot of NL west games last year and I actually like Tyson Ross the most on that staff.

There was a reason he was the last one signed. I agree, he is hardly an ace, but he should help round out the rotation nicely.

(...and if Josh Johnson can do ANYTHING, I think the Padres have a shot at contending.)

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Could this be the year San Diego wins it all?

Not likely, but at least there is hope this year.

Go Padres!

I wouldn't even say it's that unlikely, I see them as a serious contender. Their rotation is really, really solid; they don't have a lot of weakness in the lineup.
We'll see what happens when we get into October but I'd fully expect them to be there.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
They jumped the Giants on paper but obviously we'll have to wait to see the chemistry they have. They have a good looking roster this year.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Chemistry is always a key, but this teams (on paper) looks better than the '84 (stupid Tigers...starting off 35 and 5) and '98 teams (stupid Yankees...one of their best teams ever). :)

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014

............. and yet his total price will be a bit more than a third of Max Scherzer‘s and about half of Jon Lester‘s.

From the time he became an everyday pitcher, he has been a model of consistency. At the price the Padres signed him at, he is a bargain and a top of the rotation starter. His value for his career has him easily within the top 20 pitchers based on past performance. Are the Padres paying him based on the past? I do not think so at the pay scale he signed at, with most of the pitchers above him getting paid well above his scale and often with near equal value. Great signing by the Padres and I hope for the fans they become an interesting team to watch.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Interesting. I thought the Bluejays would over pay for him. But the Padres decided they would over pay for him instead.

They are saving their loonies and toonies for new turf at Rogers. Unfortunately the Russ Martin deal is the big splurge for this offseason. I'd be shocked if they broke out the wallet for a big name player.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
One of the more consistent starting pitchers in baseball, I think he will fare well in SD. This team is definitely going to be a WC contender this year.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Good signing for the Padres at that price and time period. I'm kind of surprised other teams didn't get involved on those terms. The Padres pitching should be strong if Ross and Cashner stay healthy. The offense will be worse than people expect. Lots of swing and miss hitters on that squad.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
............. and yet his total price will be a bit more than a third of Max Scherzer‘s and about half of Jon Lester‘s.

From the time he became an everyday pitcher, he has been a model of consistency. At the price the Padres signed him at, he is a bargain and a top of the rotation starter. His value for his career has him easily within the top 20 pitchers based on past performance. Are the Padres paying him based on the past? I do not think so at the pay scale he signed at, with most of the pitchers above him getting paid well above his scale and often with near equal value. Great signing by the Padres and I hope for the fans they become an interesting team to watch.
only a 4 year deal for under 20 million for James? One of the most consistent pitchers we have in the league. Great signing by the Padres. Do not see how anyone can knock this at this price.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
One of the more consistent starting pitchers in baseball, I think he will fare well in SD. This team is definitely going to be a WC contender this year.

As much as I'd love to see it, I think the Padres winning World Series would trigger this cataclysmic event.

hellfreezes.png

Members online

Latest posts