Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Pick up I couldn't refuse at the local library sale today. Every so often the library has a book sale. It is often loads of books taken out of circulation, but they accept donations, so I often find nice copies of books, CDs and movies for next to nothing. Today, I got this...

books.jpg

Nice, magazine-size softcover book, loads of pictures, goes through each home run in 1998. I anybody would really like to add it to their collection, PM me. I got it for the used paperback price of 50 cents, so I'm not looking to make profit from it. Thought one of you Mac Maniacs would like it!

Also picked up this book.

books_0001.jpg

Looks like a fun read--would be a great autograph item!

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
Figured I'd try here....

I am downsizing the card collection, to upsize the "man-cave". Anyone have any leads on a nice autographed ball or bat? Or a Cardinals 8x10 or bigger? Looking for something Steiner or MLB authenticated preferably.

PMs are welcomed!

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
docdw25 said:
baseballguy350 said:
Figured I'd try here....

I am downsizing the card collection, to upsize the "man-cave". Anyone have any leads on a nice autographed ball or bat? Or a Cardinals 8x10 or bigger? Looking for something Steiner or MLB authenticated preferably.

PMs are welcomed!

You're a little late. Steiner had a sale not long ago on a McGwire auto'd baseball.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...p=1472374&hilit=steiner+mcgwire+auto#p1472374

Which would explain the surge of 1984 Steiner balls on ebay... Now that I know everyone picked them up at $99, I know what I should and shouldn't offer. Thanks for the heads up. Post still valid for anyone else that can help. Thanks

Dec 10, 2008
baseballguy350 said:

PMs are welcomed!

Win this for $20-$35 and save some money.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Apparently posted this in the wrong thread, just an FYI

I decided to buy some more of the sportkings cards. One of them I bought was the one advertised as the gold (#/3). I hesitated because a) it's sportkings and b) you can't see the difference on the front and had never seen the back of one.

Sure enough it was the gold, but the only way you can tell is the number 186 is replaced on the back.

This is just an FYI if anybody else is looking for these.

normal:
b-6523.jpg

gold:
b-6524.jpg

docdw25 said:
Growing up a McGwire fan in Ohio I did not have the opportunity to buy many McGwire items. Did anyone here ever have one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-MAC-MARK-Mc...intage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item43a3596cd9

thank you for pointing out my next aquisition! My lady friend will get a kick out of this. She already has asked me while we were laying in my bed "Why do you have 2 life size cutouts of Mark McGwire in your room? didn he do steroids?"
Granted i got a little irked that she had to point out to me this groundbreaking fact, but i also got turned out for the fact that a female non sports fan would know this :)

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
Big Mac McGwire said:
docdw25 said:
Growing up a McGwire fan in Ohio I did not have the opportunity to buy many McGwire items. Did anyone here ever have one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-MAC-MARK-Mc...intage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item43a3596cd9

thank you for pointing out my next aquisition! My lady friend will get a kick out of this. She already has asked me while we were laying in my bed "Why do you have 2 life size cutouts of Mark McGwire in your room? didn he do steroids?"
Granted i got a little irked that she had to point out to me this groundbreaking fact, but i also got turned out for the fact that a female non sports fan would know this :)

I wish I had something like this as a kid. It would've been awesome.

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
onionring9 said:
docdw25 said:
Two recent additions

Niiiiiiiiice!

Thanks Joe. These arrived today.

97 Bowman Chrome Ref
f-5554.jpg

97 Bowman's Best Atomic Ref - Wanted a raw copy. Now I need to decide if I want to keep my PSA 10
f-674.jpg

98 Topps Gold Label class 2 black (Joe's scan)
f-5253.jpg

1999 UD Ionix Cyber
f-4727.jpg

2002 Topps Chrome Ref (Joe's scan)
f-2345.jpg

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I have a 96 Collector's Choice You make the Play Gold coming in. Unfortunately for some of you, it is the "Strikeout" and not the "Home Run".

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
tonsofcommons said:
I have a 96 Collector's Choice You make the Play Gold coming in. Unfortunately for some of you, it is the "Strikeout" and not the "Home Run".

I'm still looking for the Gold Home Run version as well.

onionring9 said:
I don't know what it is about them, but I really like the 2002 Topps Chrome card parallels.

They really look nice in hand. I want the black refractor to see what it looks like.

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
I had my collection out to help Joe rescan cards for the new site so I thought I would take this picture.

4.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts