Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oscar Taveras 2012 Chrome Missing Auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAVEPETERS239

Banned
May 8, 2013
Because anyone could just wipe off the auto on a regular one and bang, another 'rare' non-auto variation....

Well one of the BGS graders said this was not true.

An autograph cannot be removed without leaving some trace according to them.

I also do not think it is possible because why on earth would a company make a product that could be altered so easy?

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN

I also do not think it is possible because why on earth would a company make a product that could be altered so easy?

Again, are you cardcop's brother ?

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
In all my years of collecting, I have never seen someone as delusional as DAVEPETERS239.

Have you found ONE person who agrees with you about your card? Anyone at all? Thought not...

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008

Do you feel that some random BGS grader is an authority on all things card related? They can not even grade condition of a card accurately half the time, and now you say that one has told you that an auto can not be removed without leaving some form of noticeable trace? From a chrome card? WE are not talking vintage baseballs signed in ballpoint pen here, right? Having said that, I have seen people remove chrome auto's for various reasons in the past, some just to experiment, some to clean away a less desirable (sloppy) auto only to get it re-signed. Point being, yes there is certain technologies that can be used to determine if a auto has been wiped clean but to think they are using this as they inspect/encase modern chrome cards is simply foolish. Not to mention, this means little to nothing as the majority would be passed off raw anyhow.

DAVEPETERS239

Banned
May 8, 2013
I would love to know for sure either way if an autograph can be removed and not leave a trace.

As for Topps not replacing a card because an autograph can be wiped off easily? Well that's on them.

If it is true and an autograph can be removed so easily and Topps refuses to replace a card for that reason well then I think that's a huge problem.

I have never heard of Topps refusing to replace a card for that reason.

Jedi500

Jan 2, 2009
I just removed ink off a verlander rookie with nail polish remover and there isn't a trace of anything on the card

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I would love to know for sure either way if an autograph can be removed and not leave a trace.

As for Topps not replacing a card because an autograph can be wiped off easily? Well that's on them.

If it is true and an autograph can be removed so easily and Topps refuses to replace a card for that reason well then I think that's a huge problem.

You insatiable quest for proof upon every stated opinion is admirable, but some things you simply need to be willing to understand and/or agree with based on reasonable logic and I suppose a bit of faith. I, as just one man, am telling you that I have seen it done, and even passing BGS inspection and grading. You can believe what you will, but this is fact. It's not really a HUGE problem as you say because it happens so rarely that it does not affect them either way to deny replacement for their screw-up. However, if they knowingly and admittedly let some through without an auto then I would think they will indeed replace it, but again, I would not be surprised to hear they are unwilling for the simple fact that some people may wipe the auto and ask for a replacement because their card was off centered, had a dinged corner, a sloppy auto, ect... Or any number of reasons it could potentially be abused.

Over my many years in the hobby I have seen Topps do a large number of things that seems outright un-rational with regards to customer service so I can only assume you are somewhat new to the hobby? Either way I leave you with this.... It's hard to fill a cup that is already full.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island

Can you clarify this delusion?

You think that if someone pulls a Topps auto and WIPES it off that Topps should replace that autograph that was wiped off?

DAVEPETERS239

Banned
May 8, 2013
I just removed ink off a verlander rookie with nail polish remover and there isn't a trace of anything on the card

Do you have any plans of sending it in to get graded?

That would be the real test to see if BGS or PSA maybe grade it.

My guess is they wouldn't because they would consider it an altered card but am unsure?

I am certainly going to ask next time I talk to someone at BGS about how unsigned cards are looked at and if they are looked at a little closer or in other ways an autograph version isn't.

DAVEPETERS239

Banned
May 8, 2013
Can you clarify this delusion?

You think that if someone pulls a Topps auto and WIPES it off that Topps should replace that autograph that was wiped off?

Quite the opposite. I think if Topps refuses to replace an autograph card that is missing the autograph that a person pulls from a pack because the autograph could have been wiped off is a huge problem.

I have never seen or heard of Topps doing that but who knows?

Now if some people start to take advantage of it being so easy to wipe these cards clean well again that's on Topps for making a product like that.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Quite the opposite. I think if Topps refuses to replace an autograph card that is missing the autograph that a person pulls from a pack because the autograph could have been wiped off is a huge problem.

I have never seen or heard of Topps doing that but who knows?

Now if some people start to take advantage of it being so easy to wipe these cards clean well again that's on Topps for making a product like that.

But what about people who buy a card (not pulled themselves) that is missing the autograph and try to get Topps to replace it? Sounds very like the real problem.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
I'm going to slowly back away from this thread...man [MENTION=9981]DAVEPETERS239[/MENTION] every thread you touch turns into a circus. I might suggest you walk away as well, obviously your ruffling some feathers here; and not in a "I'm going to make a difference" kind of way. Collect what you like, but don't get upset if everyone doesn't agree with how you define something.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I also do not think it is possible because why on earth would a company make a product that could
be altered so easy?
I guess then that no patch cards have ever been tampered with, because as you wrote, "why on earth would a company make a product that could be altered so easy."

Damn man, there is no way you're really this bull-headed, ignorant and gullable.
You've gotta be messing with us.

DAVEPETERS239

Banned
May 8, 2013
I guess then that no patch cards have ever been tampered with, because as you wrote, "why on earth would a company make a product that could be altered so easy."

Damn man, there is no way you're really this bull-headed, ignorant and gullable.
You've gotta be messing with us.

I guess some patch cards have been faked but a very easy solution to this would be to scan every card that has a patch and have the images posted on the company website for reference.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Brand new

Now get the other Jose Fernandez to sign it:

31c32865-0782-4bae-9a5d-36a324d4a83d.jpg

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I guess some patch cards have been faked but a very easy solution to this would be to scan every card that has a patch and have the images posted on the company website for reference.

Very easy?

I think it's time you put some thought in to what you are saying.

Members online

Latest posts