Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

John Lackey Traded to the Cardinals For Allen Craig/Joe Kelly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Sad to see Lackey go, he's a bulldog.....he's pitched VERY well over the past two years and we wouldn't have won in 13' without him. I think it's a good trade for both sides, even though I don;t know much about the Cardinals players involved. What's the scouting report on Joe Kelly??

Kelly should return to form-- he could be the best steal of all these guys the Sox picked up. Escobar kicked a$$ in his debut today. Cespedes will mash. Craig should be solid. Hembree could end up their closer next year and onwards.

Bring up the youth! The team should be exciting to watch next year.

Hoping that Travis Shaw can be their starting first-basemen next year too.
He's had a great year in AA/AAA, I could see that happening...although more of a platoon type situation to start.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Unreal that Bostonians are weeping about these trades. If you disagree with what they're doing, you're an idiot and need to be punched in the nose, Mike Tyson style.

Can't believe Cards gave up Kelly AND Craig, even with a down season, for Lackey. Mind-numbing. Absolutely mind-numbing.
John Lackey helps you win this October MUCH more than Craig/Kelly would, so I assume they are still going for it all.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Unreal that Bostonians are weeping about these trades. If you disagree with what they're doing, you're an idiot and need to be punched in the nose, Mike Tyson style.

Can't believe Cards gave up Kelly AND Craig, even with a down season, for Lackey. Mind-numbing. Absolutely mind-numbing.

Really?Craig has been awful all year, and Kelly is nothing more than a fringe starter at best.And now Taveras has no one blocking him from playing every day.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I'm sad to see Lackey go, given the great year he was having, but he has hinted that he might not even play next year. He had a contract clause that basically said if he missed a season due to injury, his last year's salary would be 500K. It was widely assumed the Sox would give him an extension, voiding that 500K salary, but the idea of retiring instead of playing for just 500K was a possibility. Now it's the Cards' problem; extend him soon, or let him retire and have nothing to show for it except a loss in the NLCS.

How is it a "problem"?Garcia and probably 2-3 other starters in the minors will be ready to take his place by that time.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I don't think Garcia throws another meaningful pitch for StL. You win some, you lose some...

Perhaps, but one of Petrick, Cooney, Gonzales, or Martinez should be ready to take over by that time.If Lackey won't play next year, whoopty damn doo.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
As someone who has a lot of autos of Webster, ranaudo, workman, Owens, Barnes, etc I'm down for all these vet starters being traded.

EXACTLY! This was definitely a boon for Sox pitching prospectors! Finding my Owens moving up the most despite him being probably the farthest from the rotation and unlikely to get a start this year.

Ryan The Orange

Mar 30, 2010
St. Louis
I like this trade as a Cardinals fan.

We know what we are getting with Lackey: a consistent starter with great playoffs experience.

Kelly is a #5 starter at the very best. He walks far too many batters, and he can't go deep into games. I believe he has had only two (!) career starts that have gone 7 innings.

Craig is the only part of this deal that worries me, as he is a year removed from one of the most impressive hitting displays in the past 10 years (hitting with RISP in 2013). But he is a mess this year, and I'm convinced his leg/foot/lower half is playing mind games with him. He has looked uncomfortable and lost at the plate for the entirety of this year.

Unless Craig returns to form, I don't see this deal favoring the Red Sox. And if Lackey decides to play for 500k next year, the Cards will have a ton of flexibility with payroll.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I like this trade as a Cardinals fan.

We know what we are getting with Lackey: a consistent starter with great playoffs experience.

Kelly is a #5 starter at the very best. He walks far too many batters, and he can't go deep into games. I believe he has had only two (!) career starts that have gone 7 innings.

Craig is the only part of this deal that worries me, as he is a year removed from one of the most impressive hitting displays in the past 10 years (hitting with RISP in 2013). But he is a mess this year, and I'm convinced his leg/foot/lower half is playing mind games with him. He has looked uncomfortable and lost at the plate for the entirety of this year.
So essentially he's a big upgrade to Doubront? Fine by me.

And if Lackey decides to play for 500k next year, the Cards will have a ton of flexibility with payroll.
There is like a 99.9% chance that will NOT happen. Just warning you not to get your hopes up. But I'm sure he would be open to a 2/$25m extension or something along those lines.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
This was a miss for the sox. Kelly is a very average number 5 guy and Craig has played awfulllll plus he has a decent salary.

Lackey has been very good for the cards and only has a 500k salary which he has said he will pitch on if no extension is reached.

Big miss by the sox

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Remove Kelly's one poor start vs Houston and his ERA in Boston is a solid 3.35.

He's also ten years younger than Lackey. Farrell adores Kelly, as does the Boston media.

I think Boston is trying to build a young-gun starting rotation (candidates being: Anthony Ranaudo, Henry Owens, Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa, Ed. Rodriguez, Escobar, and Matt Barnes), and Kelly could morph into one of the leaders of such, whereas Lackey prob couldn't.

On a different note, how exciting a player is Rusney Castillo? Kid looks awesome so far. I'm expecting very big things from him in 2015.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Remove Kelly's one poor start vs Houston and his ERA in Boston is a solid 3.35.

He's also ten years younger than Lackey. Farrell adores Kelly, as does the Boston media.

I think Boston is trying to build a young-gun starting rotation (candidates being: Anthony Ranaudo, Henry Owens, Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa, Ed. Rodriguez, Escobar, and Matt Barnes), and Kelly could morph into one of the leaders of such, whereas Lackey prob couldn't.

On a different note, how exciting a player is Rusney Castillo? Kid looks awesome so far. I'm expecting very big things from him in 2015.

All of St. Louis adores Kelly.

This happened Friday at the St. Louis Sports Company store in a local mall.

So Joe Kelly and Ashley Kelly stopped by to say goodbye, bring me some game used cleats and his hat from Boston to give to Devon (Yes I said Boston). He also picked up his framed Derek Jeter jersey that we did for him. If you know our son Devon - you know Joe Kelly is his favorite player so Joe brought the hat he used this season for Devon to have.

But he also wanted to thanks to Sports Co and Sports Co Nation - so he said - What do you have going on? I said "A Shane Robinson signing in our new store". He said...

"Let me buy all the Shane Robinson tickets for Saturday so everyone can go for FREE!"

Man it doesn't get any better then this guy -- truly -- both of them are the best couple you will ever meet. Truly special people!

So thanks to Joe & Ashley Kelly - all the Shane Robinson autograph tickets for the signing tomorrow are NOW FREE! For all of you who have purchased tickets previously... we will give you a $10 in store credit.

Again, I can't say this enough. It's truly an honor to have gotten to know Joe & Ashley over the last two years and they are just amazing people. I've done a lot of signings in my life - but nobody has ever been as gracious, accommodating, personable, enjoyable and made me laugh as much as Joe Kelly.

So from Sports Co and Joe & Ashley Kelly -- thank you and enjoy the Shane Robinson signing FREE!!!!

Thanks Joe & Ashley - For Everything!

Members online

Latest posts