Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

25 CENT BOX DIG - How did I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'll start this out by saying that I buy for me. I got sucked into the insert craze of the 90s and there were many sets I was building because I just liked how they looked. I also try to grab singles that catch my eye and then favorite teams with unique and cool looking sets (Dodgers, Raiders, Vikings). I stopped cold turkey at one point and then have filled in holes over the years on occasion through ebay, trades or comic most recently. Sometimes closing our sets can be a pain to find the last few cards you need at a fair price and not have to drop double digit dollars on shipping 10 different packages!

So, I don't use price guides either. I halted my Beckett subscription many years back and won't buy any of those online services. I figure I know what I am willing to pay or someone will have knowledge of the "book value" to assist, again not that it matters to me.

Each of these cards was a quarter. I may have found a gem or two and I may have laughably overpaid for some. Don't know, don't care. I am sharing them here, because I know a fair number of you are active in the older insert searches and maybe you'll see a surprise deal in there that I didn't realize. I'll assume most are a couple dollars at best (BV). I know some were a bid deal when they are new, but prices drop fast on most of this stuff. I wish I had more time to look through his boxes though. I really enjoy finding this kind of stuff. To me, it feels like I am digging up great treasures, yet I may be passing up "more valuable" cards at the same time that just do nothing for me. He must have 20-30 super shoe boxes filled with 25 cent cards, but I might get to spend 30 minutes at most when I can get by. Enjoy.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
There's almost no such thing as bad 90's inserts from bargain boxes. The Rolen Centurion and 3-D Lee are toughies; well done for a quarter, those are usually 5-10X what you paid!

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
You did good on those at a price of .25 then you think. Like someone said some of those or tough and .25 is a steal.
That chipper metal is sweet. @ have sold recently for $1.99 and $4.00

@MansGame for that Belle you pulled out of the bargin bin.

Last edited:

mrniceguy1126

Oct 6, 2008
NEPA
Call me crazy, but do I see Wolverine on one of those cards? I don't know much about FB cards. What set is that? I love it!

PS: The Rocket is pretty sweet too. Him & his brother are locals. :)

Last edited:

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Sweet cards. That Chipper Mining For Gold brings back memories from 1996, the prime year I was collecting.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
as a card shop owner, these quarter boxes with gems in them are a win for us and you. Yeah, some of those cards normally go for more, but you spent $15 in singles with just these. Odds are you bought other stuff as well like sleeves and top loaders.

Ahh bargin bins, the great win win situation in retail.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
My store has 10,000 cards priced .25 to .50 each plus several hundred at $1

My customers love them!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Those Stadium Club Ring Leader cards of Raines and Fielder are so busy and tacky with so much clutter and an eagle that they're actually cool.
And I love that how that Nomar Fleer card looks.
'90s inserts are so awesome.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I can't see them all because I'm on the mobile app and photobucket sucks for the mobile app but the cards look to definitely be worth what you paid.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
What my shop needs (IN MY OPINION), but doesn't have is the dime box. Many of the cards I passed on were not anything I ever see anyone paying even a quarter for, but most people will pay a dime for an insert or a star player no problem.

As was noted earlier, I did buy some other items at this shop and the cheap bulk cards can also add up fast and it gives a shop a chance to sell stuff that would probably otherwise sit forever. Imagine closing a sale for an an 800 count box full of cards that alone wouldn't sell at a percentage of book, but after a customer spends hours scouring through the piles of dime boxes, they still end up dropping $80!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another trip to the same shop today. Got this small pile for $10. I don't believe anything stellar, but a fun stack for $10. I also hit the quarter boxes again, but only had the time and patience to go through 2 super shoes. 64 cards, maybe I'll scan a few highlights later.

Members online

Latest posts