Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Red Sox sign Rusney Castillo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I hope he really follows in the footsteps of those before him (Puig, Abreau, etc.) and that the Red Sox did not get caught in the hype and misjudge his talents.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Wow, that's a lot of dough. Can't image he'll be better than Abreau but if he's good at D and decent at bat maybe the whole package will be worth it. To me this means JBJ is no longer in the picture. Betts will probably get another year at AAA and Cespedes probably won't be resigned so the outfield in 2016 will be Craig, Castillo, Betts. I don't know how I feel about that.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I could very easily see the Sox making a big play for Hamels in the off-season, to replace Lester if they can't get him back.

Betts/Ranaudo/B. Johnson/Margot to Philly might work.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I could very easily see the Sox making a big play for Hamels in the off-season, to replace Lester if they can't get him back.

Betts/Ranaudo/B. Johnson/Margot to Philly might work.

Really dont see the phillies giving up Hamels but if they're going to and its the red sox, no way Swihart, Owens and Bogaerts stay out of that trade. Especially since the market for Hamels would be lively to say the least.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Really dont see the phillies giving up Hamels but if they're going to and its the red sox, no way Swihart, Owens and Bogaerts stay out of that trade. Especially since the market for Hamels would be lively to say the least.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but this is Amaro we're talking about here, so.....

bmoore997

Mar 9, 2009
Hamels is still owed $96 million over the next 4 seasons from what I can tell. There's no way any of Swihart/Owens/Bogaerts get dealt for him.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Same guy everyone is accusing of asking for too much? If thats the accusation, i'm thinking he'll ask for all 7.

He'll demand a lot at first, sure, but in the end I believe he could very well settle for a package like the one I predicted above.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Wonder what this means for JBJ and Betts.

Much as I hate it, I see JBJ as a trade chip in an off season move. Mookie could be headed back to the infield - he only made the switch to OF this season. I really don't see the SS/3B or 1B positions set long term. Xander will likely hold either SS or 3B but Middlebrooks is not the player people thought he would be and who knows if the guys on the farm will cut it (everyone thought JBJ would!).

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Hamels is still owed $96 million over the next 4 seasons from what I can tell. There's no way any of Swihart/Owens/Bogaerts get dealt for him.

Right, because you dont deal top prospects for an elite starter entering his prime years with a team friendly contract. 24 million a year for an elite starting pitching will look like peanuts over the next few years.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I'm glad they signed him, it will be exciting to watch a player with great speed again. Ben C is going to have a busy offseason this year re-working the roster for 2015.

I hope he really follows in the footsteps of those before him (Puig, Abreau, etc.) and that the Red Sox did not get caught in the hype and misjudge his talents.
I think the Red Sox were determined to sign the next big Cuban player after they finished runner-up in the Abreu bidding, regardless of who it was. With that said, I also think they realize how big of a loss Ellsbury was and do believe Castillo has the potential to be a suitable replacement if all goes well. Cepedes has played with Castillo in Cuba and said that he is definitely a 4-tool player. It remains to be seen whether or not his talents will translate here in the US but the majority of the recent Cuban signings have paid off so far so there might be less of a worry because of that.

Wonder what this means for JBJ and Betts.
I predict Betts to be traded this offseason. Logjam of OFs and Betts has very high trade value. I think Bradley will be a reserve OFer for the fact that his trade value is very low so I think he will mainly be used as a defensive replacement.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I want to see A.Ranaudo in the Red Sox starting rotation next year. Hopefully this signing works out really well for the Sox.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I would assume panini will have him in elite extra this year.

Abreu signed late October and they got him in last year's issue.

I can't imagine him being in any bowman issues this year although getting him into sterling SHOULD be a priority to help sell it better.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I want to see A.Ranaudo in the Red Sox starting rotation next year. Hopefully this signing works out really well for the Sox.
He should be on the staff now, with the young arms they have in the rotation now I'm surprised they aren't going with the 6 man rotation this late in the season.

Members online

Latest posts