Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dunn to the A's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
According to MLB trade rumors the A's are finalizing a deal to acquire Adam Dunn

Edit: should say closing in on a deal, not finalizing

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I have been following Twitter like an obsessed lunatic this morning. Buster Olney is one tweet away from making me an A's fan.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
jonah.gif

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...veteran-slugger-adam-dunn-from-the-white-sox/

[h=1]A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox[/h]Drew Silva
Aug 31, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT

Oakland was on Dunn’s no-trade list, but he waived that veto power because he wants a taste of postseason baseball for the first time in his 14-year major league career. The 34-year-old will presumably take over as the A’s primary designated hitter. He was batting .220/.340/.433 with 20 home runs and 54 RBI in 106 games this season for Chicago and can provide a nice left-handed power boost to the struggling Athletics offense.
Dunn is making $15 million in the final year of a four-year, $56 million deal. He’s owed about $2.5 million.
Sanburn was a second-round pick in 2012. The reliever owns a cool 2.92 ERA in 120 minor league innings.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
As an A's fan, my only question is Why?

Dunn is too low contact to fix their Offense. As bad as Reddick has been the last two years, Dunn is basically the same player.

I'm hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this helping one bit...

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
As an A's fan, my only question is Why?

Dunn is too low contact to fix their Offense. As bad as Reddick has been the last two years, Dunn is basically the same player.

I'm hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this helping one bit...

It may not be ideal but given the limited options...

did see this tweeted:

"Dunn OBP .340 HR 20; Cespedes OBP .302 HR 21"

Jeff

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
It may not be ideal but given the limited options...

"Dunn OBP .340 HR 20; Cespedes OBP .302 HR 21"

I didn't like Cespedes's game that much either, for the same reason.

Woulda preferred to bring Seth Smith back. Maybe even Brian Roberts...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This will be Dunn's last chance at making his first postseason.
Today he said he's retiring after this season. Looks like no 500 homers or any shot at the Hall of Fame.

ESPN -- Adam Dunn says his first shot at a playoff appearance will also be his swan song as the slugger announced Sunday he will retire at the conclusion of the season on the same day the Oakland Athletics acquired him in a trade with the Chicago White Sox.

"This is probably going to be it," said Dunn, who doesn't think he can be talked out of his retirement plan. "I've been playing a long time and haven't got this opportunity, so I'm going to try to make the most of it."

The 34-year-old Dunn, who has 460 career home runs, is in the last year of a four-year, $56 million deal. He is batting .220 with 20 homers, 54 RBIs and a .340 on-base percentage this season.

"Yeah, I mean, I'm not going to beat around the bush and say the four years here was great, because it was, um ... it was just bad," Dunn said. "I did it completely to myself. I don't blame anyone, I blame myself. But I met a lot of great people here. I wish things would've worked out better, but it didn't."

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
If Dunn changes his mind, plays 2-3 more years, hits 500 home runs is he HOF player?Probably not, but an interesting debate.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
If Dunn changes his mind, plays 2-3 more years, hits 500 home runs is he HOF player?Probably not, but an interesting debate.
Not even close. 500 HR is no longer a HOF lock as it is, and [if] he were to reach 500 HR he would be the worst hitter who reached that milestone. Nowadays players need more than HRs to get into the Hall and Dunn has nothing else going for him besides that, no playoff appearances, awful defensive player, etc...Great home run hitter but that's just about all he is.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Not even close. 500 HR is no longer a HOF lock as it is, and [if] he were to reach 500 HR he would be the worst hitter who reached that milestone. Nowadays players need more than HRs to get into the Hall and Dunn has nothing else going for him besides that, no playoff appearances, awful defensive player, etc...Great home run hitter but that's just about all he is.

I would agree with that.He was really never that dominant of a player, like Kingman, all he ever did was strike out, walk, or hit a home run.Good for him to finally get in the playoffs though.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Yeah I was surprised to read that he had never been in the playoffs, you would have thought with some of the teams he was on and being in the league for as long as he has been he would have been in the playoffs once. I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Yeah I was surprised to read that he had never been in the playoffs, you would have thought with some of the teams he was on and being in the league for as long as he has been he would have been in the playoffs once. I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

It almost makes you wonder if it wasn't a favor. I mean come on, Dunn is not the type of player the A's generally go after.

Good for him though, I hope he gets to play in the playoffs especially since he is retiring.

Members online

Latest posts