Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1 per direct acct!! What does that mean to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Is it legally possible for Series II of this product to be ONLY 1990 Leaf Cards? Maybe have them all serial numbered, some of them autographed, for legal reasons

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
So let me get this straight again...
This is a direct account release only, one per account...
Supposedly BG didnt sell out the 155 cases initially to the direct accounts only...
So instead of going back to those direct accounts and offering up additional cases, BG sold them in bulk to online retailers to give the illusion that this product was hot hot hot...
I get it now.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
So let me get this straight again...
This is a direct account release only, one per account...
Supposedly BG didnt sell out the 155 cases initially to the direct accounts only...
So instead of going back to those direct accounts and offering up additional cases, BG sold them in bulk to online retailers to give the illusion that this product was hot hot hot...
I get it now.

That was one person's conjecture. It is unknown whether the online retailers were given first crack or clean up. And I honestly do not believe anything was done to give the illusion of the product being hot. The product is hot no matter who got it. It's limited, well done, and a fun throwback. I'm not happy about the way it went down, but I like the product.

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010
That was not the impression I got (meaning they only got the clean-up, they may have later as well), as I ordered from an online retailer the same day the info was released. I was under the impression that they were emailed numbers from the beginning as well but that it was known they would not sell all 155 to direct accts as not all were taking them or they simply don't have 155 direct accounts.
I can understand what you are saying, but also if direct accts were limit to 1, then they were limit to 1. If he went back, that may have caused other issues if some didn't get offered and some did.
It is just like Topps sending allocations to direct accts saying your allocation is 1 or 2, no more than that, but then online retailers, distributors, etc, have different allocations. makes sense to me, as this is how it is for each company. The wording could have been better, but it is no different than any release as far as allocations being 1 or 2 then bigger sellers getting bigger allocations.
And while some may have gotten 5-25 or whatever the numbers are, these are the same that got much more of less limited products or the same that order 100s of cases of bowman draft or topps series 1 etc. Everyone's allocations are different in the different categories.

To be clear, this does not make it better to those that now wish they had more, but it is the way of the system, and the same way the next products wil work, only with different more clear wording.

Last edited:

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Why is it an "illusion"?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com
If you cant sell out a limited release of 155 cases to direct only account, I call it an illusion that the product is hot when a few online retailers are called in to pick up the scraps. Telling us that the product sold may in fact be true, but it didnt sell out to direct only accounts. IMO that is not a truly "hot" product. JMO

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010
If you cant sell out a limited release of 155 cases to direct only account, I call it an illusion that the product is hot when a few online retailers are called in to pick up the scraps. Telling us that the product sold may in fact be true, but it didnt sell out to direct only accounts. IMO that is not a truly "hot" product. JMO

I agree, but it is not 'hot' because it sold out, more so because limited and the 1990 Leaf, and the type of hits that are available that typical new-Leaf guys don't chase, but a broader collecting base may.
The sells and demand currently make it 'hot'
Does Leaf even have 155 direct accounts? I would think so but if each were limited to that then some would be shut out it would seem if they had more than 155. perhaps, Leaf based it off that they usually sell 90 or so to direct so the rest were divided...I have no idea, and just speculation, but could be something as such.

Last edited:

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA

Since when is the definition of a hot product defined by the ability to sell a product to a specific set of accounts? If a product is selling for significantly over cost, it's hot. AIC was able to sell his case boxed out at a significant profit before any were sold anywhere. This product is hot by all definitions traditionally used in this hobby.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I agree, but it is not 'hot' because it sold out, more so because limited and the 1990 Leaf, and the type of hits that are available that typical new-Leaf guys don't chase, but a broader collecting base may.
The sells and demand currently make it 'hot'
Does Leaf even have 155 direct accounts? I would think so but if each were limited to that then some would be shut out it would seem if they had more than 155. perhaps, Leaf based it off that they usually sell 90 or so to direct so the rest were divided...I have no idea, and just speculation, but could be something as such.

As someone that has been buying direct all products are issued on a first come first served basis based upon the "strict limit". We get shut out of products all the time if we are slow to respond to the emailed solicitation. The only reason this release is any different or causing any issues is due to the wording in the solicitation that "seemed" to make it clear that the product was only for direct accounts. With only 155 cases that seemed like a reasonable approach to make, it is clearly quite limited. I also have no idea how many direct accounts there are, but I also assumed that there were at least 155 which is why he released the product this way. I guess that could still be the case, but there is no way to know.

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010
Since when is the definition of a hot product defined by the ability to sell a product to a specific set of accounts? If a product is selling for significantly over cost, it's hot. AIC was able to sell his case boxed out at a significant profit before any were sold anywhere. This product is hot by all definitions traditionally used in this hobby.

Agree with you.

This is not meant to be directed at anyone as anyone, but I know many thought it may not be a solid product and may not be able to recoup costs especially with ebay fees, sitting on store shelves, etc. And selling it sealed has turned out nice for some indeed, but again I don't think we would have seen this reaction if it was not selling well, and based on some previous Leaf products even limited or stealth ones most never have as they did not become 'hot' as this one. I was told many didn't want it and even those that had qty were not getting many requests/inquiries on it (no more than normal according to one).

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
If BG comes out and says only 155 of these cases will be made, and they will be available ONLY to direct accounts, one would perceive that there wouldnt be many boxes on the secondary market. That IMO is what initially drove up box prices, the sense that it would be hard to get boxes. Now that people know that a few of these online retailers have a bulk of them, people are not willing to buy at their current inflated prices of $175 (see Georges post above). So, again, JMO, this products hotness (box price) is an illusion. Again Jim, JMO.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I'm going to set the line at 3.5 .....

Why doesn't someone turn the tables and threaten to sue him. I'm sure we'll see Bob Loblaw come out of the woodwork and rationalize how a lawsuit could be drawn up. I have no dog in this fight though, I have never purchased a Leaf single, box or case. BG is as shady as they come IMO. First it was Razor, second it was the Purple Refractors that were sold to BigBoyd, now this. It's always something with him and you people still continue to give him your money. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me three plus times, you get rich.

And to answer JPs question. Obviously none of the other companies communicate like Brian does. He takes time to hear complaints, however, how many times has Topps threatened to sue a board member? How many times has Panini tried to bet someone an absurd amount of money that they are right? BG has already taken the money and now he'll just use it to flex his wallet around. Happens every year it seems.

Kudos to Brian though, homeboy kicks you guys in the nuts all the time, and you run back again for more.

I have neither the need nor the desire to fan this flame.

Funny, I read this thread on BO and posted a link here earlier thinking that the topic hadn't been discussed here on FCB; I had no idea that there would be a thread of this magnitude on Leaf's home base.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Agree with you.

This is not meant to be directed at anyone as anyone, but I know many thought it may not be a solid product and may not be able to recoup costs especially with ebay fees, sitting on store shelves, etc. And selling it sealed has turned out nice for some indeed, but again I don't think we would have seen this reaction if it was not selling well, and based on some previous Leaf products even limited or stealth ones most never have as they did not become 'hot' as this one. I was told many didn't want it and even those that had qty were not getting many requests/inquiries on it (no more than normal according to one).

Brent, everyone is able to question or judge the motives of AIC, myself, and others that are upset, however regardless of selling price, I would have been surprised/shocked/disappointed to see these cases end up anywhere in bulk based upon the solicitation email that was sent. Based upon that email, had the direct accounts not bought up the 155, I would have expected that the limit would be lifted or those that bought be offered another one. Regardless, it is what it is, and there's nothing going to change, other than hopefully more careful wording in the future.

cubfan86

Aug 13, 2008
Central,IL
This whole thread is laughable!!!! I recently opened a shop. I got one case was was thrilled to get it.
Would I liked to have gotten more... YES.
Am I Shocked Blowout got more.... NO

I am having flashbacks of the Walking Dead season 2 fiasco with Distributors (price gougers) from earlier this year.

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010
Brent, everyone is able to question or judge the motives of AIC, myself, and others that are upset, however regardless of selling price, I would have been surprised/shocked/disappointed to see these cases end up anywhere in bulk based upon the solicitation email that was sent. Based upon that email, had the direct accounts not bought up the 155, I would have expected that the limit would be lifted or those that bought be offered another one. Regardless, it is what it is, and there's nothing going to change, other than hopefully more careful wording in the future.

Understood and agreed.

On a good note, thankfully it is selling well, as BG requested no one sell this sealed online under market price. Otherwise some may be stuck with it, and thankfully not the case.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
And now you're just being pompous. No wonder people think you're on the take. I know you're not, but I can totally understand why people think that.

With a 155 case production run there was no reason to assume BG needed "online retailers" but not "distributors" to sell out this product. You can spin it however you'd like but with that limited of a case run there was no reason for any of us to assume that cases were going anywhere in bulk.

Still reading through this thread. If I were at an ECW event, I can see a "THIS IS AWESOME!" chant breaking out.

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
i don't understand what's being argued about. some people were able to make more money than others, that's how business works, no?

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
This whole thread is laughable!!!! I recently opened a shop. I got one case was was thrilled to get it.
Would I liked to have gotten more... YES.
Am I Shocked Blowout got more.... NO

I am having flashbacks of the Walking Dead season 2 fiasco with Distributors (price gougers) from earlier this year.

Cubfan, best of luck with your store & learn quickly. Never take a "flier" and order bulk cases from any manufacturer, it's a losing proposition. A case or two of a product will get you by, and many bought at that rate will be regretted. The products you'd, in retrospect, liked to have had bulk cases of will never be available in bulk to you. The real "powers that be" in the industry always get the inside track on such things. Cardshop owners never do.

I operate the largest cardshop in a very strong collecting region, and haven't had "Leaf Memories" or "90 Leaf" mentioned in my shop since LM's release. Make of that what you want.

BG made 155 cases of this product. Logic would dictate that number to be roughly at or near the maximum the sum all of his "direct accounts" could order if they all took advantage of his 1/account intent. It's a piddly small amount compared to *real* sportscard releases put out by licensed companies. So if half of BG's direct accounts didn't grab their case, BG offered the unsold cases to a few elite customers. It's no BFD. Just business for Leaf. It's a struggleing company that can't sell 3 cases per state to its direct accounts. For guys that run their card businesses out of a closet in their house, nearly overhead-free (and maybe tax-free?), to moan about the way a legitimate manufacturer does business is indeed laughable. And to expedite said moaning after the product's release & subsequent success is even more laughable. And this is coming from someone that hasn't made or invested a nickle in a BG-produced Leaf product. Any of these whiners could've surely done their whining to BG prior to release. Did they BG?

As for the product itself, the buyback autos are amusing to a very small niche-type portion of the hobby. Most, nearly all, of them will be readily available for under $15 on the open market. Sure, a few of the Frank Thomas, Ichiro & Greg Maddux faithful will overpay for a few auto'd singles right off the bat. i hope they enjoy their purchases. As an industry professional i see Memories as just another Leaf product, with most of the hits having been bought on Ebay for just a few bucks. The Leaf-produced portion of the product is unremarkable to say the least, ugly, low-tech, unoriginal & airbrushed. Basically it's another clever BG idea that should never be followed up on but probably will.

It also occurred to me that the same handful of jackasses take part in 95%+ of the flaming & arguing that goes down on FCB, regardless of the subject matter. In my book they are all pompous losers & blacklisted, I have no time or energy to waste on them. Nor should BG, Gilmo or anyone else interested in carrying on a legitimate, adult discussion here.

One other note that I'd add to this is that the Panini Company actually sells direct to case breakers, so Leaf is NOT the only company that sells to non-brick & mortar cardshops.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts