Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993 SP vs. 2015 Tek

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I think it's kind of funny that the case hits if you can call them that, like the 1992 donruss elite were numbered out of 10,000 and some how my 12 year old brain thought those were incredibly rare. In fact it's very weird to think about that time when a card numbered out of 10,000 without a jersey patch or autograph and numbered to 10,000 was not only rare but easily sold for several hundred dollars. It also shows the demand that the 1985 McGwire had, to get up to several hundred dollars when there are 800,000 of them floating out there somewhere is impressive to me still today.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I think it's kind of funny that the case hits if you can call them that, like the 1992 donruss elite were numbered out of 10,000 and some how my 12 year old brain thought those were incredibly rare. In fact it's very weird to think about that time when a card numbered out of 10,000 without a jersey patch or autograph and numbered to 10,000 was not only rare but easily sold for several hundred dollars. It also shows the demand that the 1985 McGwire had, to get up to several hundred dollars when there are 800,000 of them floating out there somewhere is impressive to me still today.

I guess what it comes down to is that even though there were 10,000 made, they still are incredibly rare compared to what product they were put in!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Most has been said but regarding the 10k Elites , sounds like a big #, but basically there were 10k+ collectors wanting them. 800k McGwire, huge number, but during the chase there were 800k+ people (not just collectors) wanting them.

Then with the Elites, you def didn't have access to the Internet so 10k of each card was probably really a handful of each card available in each market over the year.

And with the McGwire when you have housewives and grandparents interested in an item and have no other items in their collection, the prices just expand.

Anyway I'm always a lil saddened that there was enough collectors at one point to support 1m+ made of each card and now it's hard with 100-10,000 made of each. And yes I understand that the cost structure is completely different, but I wish more were still in the hobby.

Ryan

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
When 1991 Donruss was released with the Elite Series inserts /10,000 a serial numbered card was unheard of (Pro Set actually serial numbered the Vince Lombardi Trophy card in their 1990 Football set). I can remember going to SAMs Club and they would have cases and cases and cases of 1991 Donruss stacked in their warehouse racks and I can not tell you how many I opened up chasing that magically Andre Dawson Elite card and not only did I not pull it, I never pulled a single Elite card! I had only saw one Dawson Elite card in my whole life before my grandmother purchased one and gave it to me for Christmas and it was at a card show at our local mall where I was helping some of my dad's friends with their tables. I drooled all over that card but didn't have the hundreds of dollars that was on the price tag to buy it. I spent all my money that day on 1991 Studio packs, man I loved those cards. It was said that people would use metal detectors to try to find the Elite Series cards, but I never witnessed it, but maybe that explains why I never hit one either. The Elite Series cards are said to have been less than one per case and that's with a print run of 10,000 cards! Although the price tag on the Dawson 1991 Donruss Elite is a lot less than it was in 1991, it still holds great value compared to other non auto, non relic cards with a print run of 10,000. I purchased an Andre Dawson on card auto /25 last night for less than $9 delivered and I can't get a 1991 Donruss Elite Andre Dawson delivered for that.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
You purchased a Dawson auto /25 for LESS than an elite /10k

Seriously, imagine how that would sound to a non collector.

Base insert /10k > Autographed and limited to 25

What a crazy hobby we are involved in.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Most has been said but regarding the 10k Elites , sounds like a big #, but basically there were 10k+ collectors wanting them. 800k McGwire, huge number, but during the chase there were 800k+ people (not just collectors) wanting them.

Then with the Elites, you def didn't have access to the Internet so 10k of each card was probably really a handful of each card available in each market over the year.

And with the McGwire when you have housewives and grandparents interested in an item and have no other items in their collection, the prices just expand.

Anyway I'm always a lil saddened that there was enough collectors at one point to support 1m+ made of each card and now it's hard with 100-10,000 made of each. And yes I understand that the cost structure is completely different, but I wish more were still in the hobby.

Ryan

Ryan, I'm not sure it's the amount of collectors in the hobby. I do think there a good chunk of collectors. But I think we all collect differently than we used to. More focused. You have to be. There is just way too much out there. Even if you collect just one player. It's too hard to go after it all. I think this is why the newer cards don't have the "type" of demand you expect to see with such limited releases and serial numbering. Every thing is already limited, and base cards are not generally cared about.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ryan, I'm not sure it's the amount of collectors in the hobby. I do think there a good chunk of collectors. But I think we all collect differently than we used to. More focused. You have to be. There is just way too much out there. Even if you collect just one player. It's too hard to go after it all. I think this is why the newer cards don't have the "type" of demand you expect to see with such limited releases and serial numbering. Every thing is already limited, and base cards are not generally cared about.

I understand that people are collecting everything and are more focused, but I disagree with you that the drop in collectors isn't a massive amount. Again multiple things caused it, but I don't think losing any collector is positive. I don't have any numbers but my guess is its a hobby that is 1-10% of what it was in terms of collectors today vs 25 years ago.

Ryan

Latest posts