Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 Donruss Significant Signatures Complete auto set!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
One of the great (and reasonable priced) autograph sets of the 90's. The white ink really pops, and it's a beautiful set. The signatures on the back and in different locations hurt the consistency of the set which may bother some, but I think it's a nice reminder about the early days of signing cards before the cards came with exact directions. Here the players had to figure it out for themselves and obviously some did not sign exactly where Donruss intended them to lol.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
One of the great (and reasonable priced) autograph sets of the 90's. The white ink really pops, and it's a beautiful set. The signatures on the back and in different locations hurt the consistency of the set which may bother some, but I think it's a nice reminder about the early days of signing cards before the cards came with exact directions. Here the players had to figure it out for themselves and obviously some did not sign exactly where Donruss intended them to lol.

That is exactly why I didn't go after this set.I almost persued some of these sometime ago, but 2 of the players I want, Gibson and Brock, unfortunately signed the back of the card, which is a big turn off to me.I don't know why anyone would think signing the back would even look good.That Jackson signed in silver looks awesome though.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Congratulations, great set. This was one of the first "high dollar" sets I completed back in the 90s. I had lots of fun chasing them down, but luckily ebay became a thing around that time so it was much easier. Notable Nicknames are also awesome.

BTW, Jackson actually signed in blue, black, and silver. At least, I think Beckett had that noted.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Great set Keith and congrats!! Interesting that Mattingly is the only non-HOFer in the set as well. Also looks like most understood to sign on the blank side of the front- a few did not get the message (as indicated by some others here) . Congrats again!!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
i started to do the set as well. i think i gave up after about 75%. i also didn't like the back signed cards, but have several myself. i guess the players weren't that used to signing manufacturer cards or some were making a statement.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
I did not realize that Reggie signed in three colors. I have two of three, one of which is the silver. Now I need to go look to see what one I am missing. THANKS! :-(

Jun 30, 2010
Because I am such a completest, I had to get both Reggie variations in both ink colors. :p

97ss1.jpg

97ss2.jpg

97ss3.jpg

97ss4.jpg

97ss5.jpg

97ss6.jpg

97ss7.jpg

97ss8.jpg

97ss9.jpg

97ss10.jpg

97ss11.jpg

97ss11b.jpg

97ss11a.jpg

97ss11c_zpsa4cd545e.jpg

97ss12.jpg

97ss13.jpg

97ss14.jpg

97ss15.jpg

97ss16.jpg

97ss17.jpg

97ss18.jpg

97ss19.jpg

97ss20.jpg

97ss21.jpg

97ss22.jpg

There is more if you want to be a total completest on this set. The following I am aware of that signed in black and blue versions. I have both colors of these players. Hope this helps. Bryan

Larry Doby
Lou Brock
Frank Robinson
Rod Carew
George Brett
Ernie Banks
Reggie Jackson

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Great checklist, great sigs.

I wish they had all used white ink -- I think the reason why some signed the back is because they realized that the black ink on brown background was going to look muddy -- which is my main issue with the set.

Still a great issue though and much more affordable than the UD Epic Sigs or comparable checklists from the time.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
There is more if you want to be a total completest on this set. The following I am aware of that signed in black and blue versions. I have both colors of these players. Hope this helps. Bryan

Larry Doby
Lou Brock
Frank Robinson
Rod Carew
George Brett
Ernie Banks
Reggie Jackson
Thanks, the Doby. Reggie, and Palmer in my collection are all blue ink. The Palmer is really hard to tell but I'm pretty sure it's blue. Since it's so hard to tell blue from black on this set, I think I'm going to call it good. Does anyone following this thread have the Schmidt Promo?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I had to revive this thread, because after landing Doby, I am fairly sure I have finally finished the set (minus the Jackson silver). Going to check next time I am putting away some auto cards.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of a silver Reggie as well, please let me know. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts