Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2010 Bowman quality control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I got some wax, cheap. Opened it and had about 15 damaged cards of which 6 were refractors. Had a Grant Green refractor with something on it that looks like maple syrup ::facepalm:: . Naturally my first Strasburg... damaged. How can a card in the middle of a pack have a crunched corner while all the others are fine?

:|

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
When I read this I was thinking about all the cards that were 90/10. THAT was the real problem this year, but
damaged cards do suck, but you can probably thank the local pack searcher who damaged the cards or maybe
they were dropped. Sometimes packs in blasters can come out all dinged if it is dropped.

Kevin

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I'm right there with ya. Check out the mark on the top of this Green purple ref, it doesn't appear black in person (looks more like maple syrup), but it's amazing that cards like this can get into packs without Topps doing anything about it.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj13 ... 10Refs.jpg

The reality is that topps doesn't see the cards once they go to the factory, much of this damage is done once the
cards are going through the machine.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
I had a similar problem. I bought a blaster at the local Walmart and EVERY chrome card was damaged on the upper left hand corner, and some on other corners as well. Not just a little dinged, either, but severely dinged. And the base cards were fine, and the one purple refractor i got was fine as well. So it was obviously a problem with the base chromes.

Anyone else?

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Opened 12 jumbo cases and saw many cards that were severely dinged. Thankfully people are so Strasburg crazy that they buy them anyway. I sold a 3 count lot of Stras chromes that were dinged, and OC, and got over $100.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
schmidtfan20 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I'm right there with ya. Check out the mark on the top of this Green purple ref, it doesn't appear black in person (looks more like maple syrup), but it's amazing that cards like this can get into packs without Topps doing anything about it.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj13 ... 10Refs.jpg

The reality is that topps doesn't see the cards once they go to the factory, much of this damage is done once the
cards are going through the machine.

Which is why Topps needs to recognize that there is a problem at the factory and do something about it. However, the reality of the situation is that they won't (or don't do it often enough) because they're the only real game in town. I don't bust much wax, but I do remember busting four boxes of 2006 Bowman Chrome a few years ago and all four autos that I pulled were badly scratched from rollers, and a refractor auto had some surface "lesions" that looked like they could have easily been avoided if Topps cared enough to look into the problem. In addition, the last base chrome in every pack had dinged lower back corners. You would think that they would learn from something like this to make sure than it happens less frequently going forward, but here we are in 2010 with the same (or similar) issues.

I understand that some years of Bowman Chrome arrive in better shape than others, but it seems apparent that Topps needs to do a better job inspecting/testing their machinery to make sure it isn't damaging cards. One reason why I seldom buy BC anymore is because I have to wonder if any hits are going to be way off-center or scratched to hell. Topps won't replace cards anymore and because these are (obviously) an investment, I don't want to have to worry about these issues interfering with future sales.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I'll say this one last thing. I would really like to see Topps employ a similar stock/method for 2010 Bowman Chrome as the autos in 2010 Bowman w/Chrome. I'm not sure what they did differently, but whatever it was, the quality of the cards were night and day different. The base chromes in 2010 bowman w/chrome were a nice thinkness, but the general look and tendency towards warping is really bad.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
This is enough for me to not want to open any more of their stuff. I've never opened a product with this much damage. The last CASE I opened (a Topps product) only had 5 damaged cards in a case... not this much in so little.

What's the word on replacements? If I send my Stras will I get one back? Or a small thank you note and a pack or something?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts