Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2012 Hall of Fame Ballot Out Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I would vote:

Bagwell
Larkin
McGwire

Palmeiro I am iffy on. 3000 hits and 500 home runs, but he flat-out lied to Congress before testing positive.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Re: 2012 HOF Ballot out today.

ChasHawk said:
Jeff Bagwell
Juan Gonzalez
Mark McGwire
Rafael Palmeiro

All are either suspected, admitted, or proven PED users...none of these 4 gets in.

I think you are wrong about Bagwell. He might not get in this year (although I think he does) but he will be in within the next 2-3 years.

mikefrank

Jan 27, 2011
Larkin, which means Trammell SHOULD already be in. Morris has been building momentum, given the "weak" list this year, he may make it. Bagwell I think is another year out, at least.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
mikefrank said:
Larkin, which means Trammell SHOULD already be in. Morris has been building momentum, given the "weak" list this year, he may make it. Bagwell I think is another year out, at least.
Larkin was a better SS.

ukbrian2011

Oct 3, 2011
Kentucky
Murphy put his numbers up clean.

Different era

30/30 guy which was rare then. 2 time MVP and great defensive player.
400 HR's (396 I know) and over 1200 RBI"s was a ton in his era.

If Palmerio or Walker were to get in Murphy sure the hell should.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008

ebechols said:
Dale Murphy has always been one of my favorite players, and he is running out of ballot time.

I think he'll get in eventually. Very similar to Jim Rice. Rice was a little better hitter with more power while Murphy had superior speed and defense.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
ffgameman said:
I would vote:

Bagwell
Larkin
McGwire

Palmeiro I am iffy on. 3000 hits and 500 home runs, but he flat-out lied to Congress before testing positive.

Yet somehow you'd still vote for McGwire who was sitting right next to Raffy in front of Congress? ::facepalm::

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Possibly Larkin, although I never really thought of him as a HOFer while he was playing. He might also get in just because nobody else will.

The guy has no 'black ink' - he never led the league in any category.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I'd vote for Larkin, Edgar, Raines, and think Murphy certainly deserves consideration.

All the guys under the PED cloud will have a tough time ever making it in. Unfortunately, I doubt Edgar will ever make it either, despite being such a prolific right handed hitter.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

Will be elected this year - Barry Larkin

Will be close, but just not enough this year- Jack Morris, Lee Smith

Completely deserving but will not make it any time soon - Tim Raines, Alan Trammell, Fred McGriff

mikefrank

Jan 27, 2011
elmalo said:
mikefrank said:
Larkin was a better SS.
Um, no. Larkin and Trammell are virtually identical, with WARs of 66.8 and 68. Trammell has better stats/performance than all but 4 HOF shortstops (as does Larkin). Not dissing Larkin, he deserves it & will get it. But Trammell deserves it, too.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I would like to see Larkin make it this time. I would love to see Lee Smith make it in as well.

From the conversation I had with Lee Smith at the National, he'll be having one helluva good time if/when he gets inducted.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
mikefrank said:
elmalo said:
mikefrank said:
Larkin was a better SS.
Um, no. Larkin and Trammell are virtually identical, with WARs of 66.8 and 68. Trammell has better stats/performance than all but 4 HOF shortstops (as does Larkin). Not dissing Larkin, he deserves it & will get it. But Trammell deserves it, too.
Larkins defensively was better. That was my point. It isnt all about stats.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Here's a biased perspective on why Edgar should be in. I was more impressed at the time it was published, but am still impressed:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/ ... 344959.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still astonished that Jack Morris is not already in. As a kid in the 80's I thought he was the best pitcher. He's the winningest pitcher of the 80's, he was a big part of Detroit's World Championship team, and he had one of the most memorable World Series pitching performances of all time. I know his stats toward the end hurt his numbers and I've heard he was a jerk, but when I think 80's pitchers I think of him over Roger and Nolan. Not that he was better, that's just who I think of first.

JustinVerlander35

Nov 1, 2011
Detroit
RustyGreerFan said:
Here's a biased perspective on why Edgar should be in. I was more impressed at the time it was published, but am still impressed:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/ ... 344959.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still astonished that Jack Morris is not already in. As a kid in the 80's I thought he was the best pitcher. He's the winningest pitcher of the 80's, he was a big part of Detroit's World Championship team, and he had one of the most memorable World Series pitching performances of all time. I know his stats toward the end hurt his numbers and I've heard he was a jerk, but when I think 80's pitchers I think of him over Roger and Nolan. Not that he was better, that's just who I think of first.

Morris was a great big game pitcher as well. A big reason why he hasn't got in because of his career ERA being almost 4. I still don't think that should keep someone as good as Jack was out of the hall as long as it has.

Phishmon23

Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA
If I had a vote, I honestly wouldn't vote for a single person on that list. I'd love to vote for Mattingly of course, but there is not one HOF on that list.

Bagwell and Larkin have a shot, but no one else even gets close.

-J

mikefrank

Jan 27, 2011
elmalo said:
mikefrank said:
elmalo said:
mikefrank said:
Larkin was a better SS.
Larkins defensively was better. That was my point. It isnt all about stats.
Nope. Trammell 4 Gold Gloves, Larkin 3 Gold Gloves. Again, not dissing Larkin (who was excellent defensively, too), Trammell was exceptional defensively with textbook form positioning, fielding, and throwing. Again it's not an either/or, both deserve to be in the HOF.

Members online

Latest posts