Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013 Leaf Masterworks Big Hit Tracker - Update 10/9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
FYI I emailed Jim Kyle last night to compliment him on his sketch cards and inquire about personal commissions, and he told me he did 80 cards for this Masterworks set. This is definitely the most fun release to watch roll on to eBay. Still no more RJs.....

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
2013 Leaf Masterworks Robert Griffin III RG3 Auto Sketch 1 1 by Justin Tigner | eBay

$T2eC16dHJG!FFm2LOjTuBSUzqsrYSg~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf "Masterworks" Barry Sanders Autograph Trent Bruce Sketch Card 1 1 WOW | eBay

$T2eC16V,!)0FI,RYZ+R3BSU2GWfj1w~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Barry Sanders 1 1 Auto Autograph Sketch Art by Jim Kyle | eBay

$T2eC16Z,!yoFIeUjeCm6BSVGOPl3pQ~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Magic Johnson 1 1 Auto Autograph Sketch by Jim Kyle | eBay

$(KGrHqR,!rIFI4c5eFwnBSVGG2zCMQ~~60_12.JPG

1 1 Hakeem Olajuwon Auto Sketch Card by Chris Henderson 2013 Leaf Masterworks | eBay

$(KGrHqF,!qcFJDEs9N2zBSU4d186lQ~~60_12.JPG

1 1 Royce Gracie Auto Sketch Card by Brian Kong 2013 Leaf Masterworks | eBay

$(KGrHqV,!q8FIy+RR6ofBSU4Tw0ZbQ~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Y A Tittle Auto Color Sketch Card by Brian Kong 1 1 | eBay

$(KGrHqV,!k8FJBk03D63BSUlBU2B9Q~~60_12.JPG

Oscar Robertson 2013 Leaf Masterworks 1 1 Sketch Card Auto | eBay

$T2eC16Z,!zQFIbNuZCH8BSUz4)LHFg~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks 1 1 Sketch Auto Frank Thomas Sketched by Daniel Gorman | eBay

$T2eC16VHJGYFFkg!BzoUBSU1hDzyTg~~60_12.JPG

Toothless Bobby Hull 2013 Leaf Masterworks Jay Pangan Autograph Sketch 1 1 | eBay

$T2eC16d,!y8E9s2fk3NSBSU1HmTWq!~~60_12.JPG

John Smoltz 2013 Leaf Masterworks 1 1 Auto Sketch Card | eBay

$T2eC16R,!zIFIfDzbVMfBSU0!5PS!g~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Bobby Hull Auto Gary Kezele Sketch 1 1 | eBay

$(KGrHqV,!lUFEFfPjL1(BSULY+2SSQ~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Eddie Murray 1 1 Sketch Card Auto SSP Orioles HOF SMP | eBay

$T2eC16V,!y0FI,Ej9mu)BSUFCUll8w~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Carlton Fisk 1 1 Auto Autograph Sketch Art by Jim Kyle | eBay

$T2eC16dHJIgFHSSekO3ZBSVGRbERmQ~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Greg Maddux 1 1 Auto Autograph Sketch Art by Scott Rorie | eBay

$T2eC16h,!)wFIYzFS+WkBSVEPCJP8Q~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Steve Young Auto 1 1 Sketch Card by Chris Henderson | eBay

$T2eC16ZHJH0FG1lm)UI+BSSwWeD33Q~~60_12.JPG

And some of the closed items that sold quickly...

2013 Leaf Masterworks Ichiro Autographed 1 1 Sketch Card Beautiful Sketch | eBay $500

$T2eC16N,!)sFIZgQ7ZTGBSTfdHsoP!~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Ichiro Auto Sketch Card 1 1 by Justin Tigner | eBay

$(KGrHqEOKpYFJJVEbbmpBSTH!,C3Qg~~60_12.JPG

2013 Gordie Howe Leaf Masterworks Auto Sketch Card 1 1 by Scott Rorie | eBay

$T2eC16ZHJH0FG0fG9ky2BSUOMEWe)g~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Gordie Howe Auto 1 1 Sketch by Brian Kong Autograph WOW | eBay

$T2eC16VHJFoFH449-2kOBSTy7kUOBQ~~60_12.JPG

2013 Jim Kelly Leaf Masterworks Auto Sketch Card 1 1 by Chris Henderson | eBay

$T2eC16hHJIUFHIS,ccHRBSUOJgh2Mw~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Yogi Berra Auto 1 1 Wu Wei Sketch Card | eBay

$T2eC16hHJGYE9nookQHJBSUyEltMqw~~60_12.JPG

Scottie Pippen 2013 Leaf Masterworks Auto Sketch 1 1 Chicago Bulls HOF Wu Wei | eBay

$(KGrHqN,!rMFJDO48sfGBSTO-Rc)gg~~60_12.JPG

Hulk Hogan 2013 Leaf Masterworks Sketch Card Auto Autograph SP 1 1 | eBay

$(KGrHqZHJCoFJCPcof2hBSS4OU)1mg~~60_12.JPG

Robert Griffin III RG3 2013 Leaf Masterworks Steve Stanley Autograph Sketch 1 1 | eBay

$T2eC16N,!)0FI,HUTt+HBSTiu!Km+!~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf 'Masterworks' Magic Johnson "1 1 Autograph Sketch" by Scott Rorie | eBay

$(KGrHqJHJEUFI-P5sB!NBSTK8l4Bi!~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Brooks Robinson Autograph Sketch Artist Chris Henderson 1 | eBay

$(KGrHqJ,!lgFJBfwbc40BST3p+cZJ!~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf Masterworks Gordie Howe 1 1 Sketch Card Auto SSP Red Wings HOF SMP | eBay

$T2eC16F,!)EFIpO+yl8yBSUHCdLZ4!~~60_12.JPG

2013 Leaf 'Masterworks' Stan Musial "1 1 Autograph Sketch" by Steve Stanley | eBay

$T2eC16hHJF8FFqIWbY3,BSTK9CpJ)!~~60_12.JPG

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
This recent batch is amazing. So much good stuff there. You know Brian is going to do this again and damn straight he should.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
IMO about 1/3 of these look amazing but about 2/3 look so amateurish. This has been true of every baseball sketch card product ever as far as I know (this is probably the best ever honestly, most products are more like 1/10 decent art). I don't think the problem is that good artists are hard to come by, or hard to afford -- I just think that the majority of card producers and card collectors have a really bad eye for art. I'm not talking about DaVinci here, just sketches where the facial proportions are not off and the players don't look like distorted bloated awkwardly asymmetrical versions of themselves.

At least nothing here is Tempy Moore level sad. And the good ones truly are real 1/1s and deserve lots of attention and a high price tag. Good idea for a product but please, get a real art director in charge of the next round.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
2013 Leaf Masterworks Big Hit Tracker - Update 10/8

IMO about 1/3 of these look amazing but about 2/3 look so amateurish. This has been true of every baseball sketch card product ever as far as I know (this is probably the best ever honestly, most products are more like 1/10 decent art). I don't think the problem is that good artists are hard to come by, or hard to afford -- I just think that the majority of card producers and card collectors have a really bad eye for art. I'm not talking about DaVinci here, just sketches where the facial proportions are not off and the players don't look like distorted bloated awkwardly asymmetrical versions of themselves.

At least nothing here is Tempy Moore level sad. And the good ones truly are real 1/1s and deserve lots of attention and a high price tag. Good idea for a product but please, get a real art director in charge of the next round.

Some people get so stuck on realism that they can't see the art in some of these.

I think the Jason Adams ones are easily the best. His Hulk Hogan is mostly chunks of black and white geometric shapes but is unmistakably him.

That's art in my eyes.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Re: 2013 Leaf Masterworks Big Hit Tracker - Update 10/8

Would any of these artist be able to sell these sketches if they wasn't packaged and marketed to this hobby?

Would they sell for the amounts they are selling for?

Just a thought.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jrosales

Mar 23, 2013
Some people get so stuck on realism that they can't see the art in some of these.

I somewhat agree with this, no offense to those who like realism (I also love some realism myself). While the photorealistic ones are very nice and obviously take a ton of talent, there is plenty of talent to be found among the artists who choose a less realistic route for their work. I see a lot of those types of artists within this release- very talented but not necessarily photorealistic. As long as they work hard to maintain proper proportions and render the artwork in an aesthetically-pleasing manner (good aesthetics can often be recognized fairly easily despite the overall subjectivity of art), then it's a winner in my eyes.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Wasn't saying they should all be in a photorealistic style. In fact, a lot that I consider good ones from this set are not.

Still, I maintain that only a small percentage of the cards in all styles are beyond an amateur level.

The same can be said about the design and typography on many card sets. The custom cards made here by users with intermediate level Photoshop skills compare to virtually any pro release. So many sets (especially those going for a "vintage" look) just throw pre-packaged Photoshop filters on their photos and call it a day. There's hardly a set issued that couldn't be done by a freshman level design student.

I love baseball... and I love art... but the vast majority of baseball related art is just really bad. Honestly though this is part of its charm -- ie the 80s Diamond Kings (the first mainstream "artsy" baseball cards) are really pretty awful aesthetically but have a great kitschy appeal.

Of course this is all subjective... but I think it's safe to say that most card collectors are not very sophisticated aesthetes. And this is no judgment, I would rather hang out with baseball fans than art critics any day.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
2013 Leaf Masterworks Big Hit Tracker - Update 10/8

I'd love to see a caricaturist with Bruce Stark-esque skills included

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Wasn't saying they should all be in a photorealistic style. In fact, a lot that I consider good ones from this set are not.

Still, I maintain that only a small percentage of the cards in all styles are beyond an amateur level.

The same can be said about the design and typography on many card sets. The custom cards made here by users with intermediate level Photoshop skills compare to virtually any pro release. So many sets (especially those going for a "vintage" look) just throw pre-packaged Photoshop filters on their photos and call it a day. There's hardly a set issued that couldn't be done by a freshman level design student.

I love baseball... and I love art... but the vast majority of baseball related art is just really bad. Honestly though this is part of its charm -- ie the 80s Diamond Kings (the first mainstream "artsy" baseball cards) are really pretty awful aesthetically but have a great kitschy appeal.

Of course this is all subjective... but I think it's safe to say that most card collectors are not very sophisticated aesthetes. And this is no judgment, I would rather hang out with baseball fans than art critics any day.

I agree. I now read what I wrote earlier and it sounds like I was criticizing your comment. I was not.

I think we are on the same page.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I don't know if I just got unlucky or what, but out of my 18 cards, about 7 of them were Jay Pangan with only 2 more being from one artist and the rest mixed around. If my case was indicative, that might explain why Jay didn't bother with logos as he was too busy cranking out as many as possible. It's a shame as the logos really do help the cards.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I don't know if I just got unlucky or what, but out of my 18 cards, about 7 of them were Jay Pangan with only 2 more being from one artist and the rest mixed around. If my case was indicative, that might explain why Jay didn't bother with logos as he was too busy cranking out as many as possible. It's a shame as the logos really do help the cards.
I believe I had 6 Pangan and 5 Jason Hughes out of my 18. Definitely the "simpler" of the sketches, but I do think some of them are nice from those artists. Some not so much.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I believe I had 6 Pangan and 5 Jason Hughes out of my 18. Definitely the "simpler" of the sketches, but I do think some of them are nice from those artists. Some not so much.
BG'll tell ya...Simple=Cheap.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK

Luckily for me you pulled at least 1 Jim Kyle. Got it today, thanks again! My new fav card...

20131009_230159.jpg

Members online

Latest posts