Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013 Topps Chrome Football...What are your thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
2013 Topps Chrome football is coming out in a couple of weeks, what are your thoughts on it? The last few years, Topps Chrome has always been a winner, and I am curious to see if it will continue this year. I am personally banking on the history of this product, and think it is going to be a winner again. So, whatcha think?

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Winner winner. Chicken dinner

Can't wait. It should be the best fb product out so far this year. Every panini release has been junk

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Winner winner. Chicken dinner

Can't wait. It should be the best fb product out so far this year. Every panini release has been junk

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

We are on the same page, and I personally think you are 100% right. Haven't really heard any buzz around it, but I think it will be darn good again.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Just curious, why do you all feel Panini is junk? I think they've used some really cool design techniques. They've given us Crusades back, they've don a lot of coll looking diecuts and also a lot of acetate type cards. Obviously a lot of their products aren't super high end but I think they provide a decent bang for the buck.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
lately, all the Panini has tanked.... sure the rookie class does not help but when a product comes out at $150 retail it shouldnt drop to $100 on release.

Take Prizm for example, it needs more color added. You get 3 maybe 4 Prizm and 2 autos in the box. If they added another color or did away with the jumbo and added the blue and purple to hobby, product might be worth busting. The Orange die cuts are nice and the gold /10 are nice. Just needs something. Look at Topps Chrome/Bowman Chrome. lots of color per box even if you get 1 auto.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
As a usually anti-Panini guy, I actually like R&S for this year, seems kinda loaded. Score was much better too IMO. The Prizm Jumbo was a good idea but too pricey.

But TC is consistently good, hopefully the delay helps cut down on the number of Redemptions...

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Who are the top rookies that people will be after you think?

Eddie Lacy is the obvious one, but who else? Manuel? Cordarrelle Patterson? Geno Smith?

Pretty weak IMO.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I still think Le'veon Bell is the best RB in this class but Ball is getting more work in Practice and his prices would benefit most from a long Post-season run. The Bills alone have three good rookies.

And Chrome always sells well, almost no matter the quality of the RCs...

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Who are the top rookies that people will be after you think?

Eddie Lacy is the obvious one, but who else? Manuel? Cordarrelle Patterson? Geno Smith?

Pretty weak IMO.

Manuel got hurt, Patterson is on a crap team but selling okay, and Geno Smith cards have had their moments. Giovanni Bernard is relatively hot and DeAndre Hopkins is at least on the radar. There are a number of of other rookies some folks will be going after but, yes, there is no herd chasing any one of these guys like there was with Luck and RG3. As such, I don't think Chrome will be as good for the case crack and flip sellers this year. I think the product is awesome for the buy and hold prospectors however. None of these guys have truly blown up yet which allows speculators and team collectors to buy their Chrome cards at lower levels. I'm sure I'll be picking up a lot of Patterson and Smith cards and holding them for a while.

As far as the pooping on Panini goes, I have to give that outfit some credit for making better products this year. Rookies & Stars was a very nice effort and even Score offered more bang for the literal buck than ever before. Prizm is way better this year even if a break is not yet on par with, say, Chrome just yet. The purple ice cards are sharp and the red retail bonus cards are excellent value added. I do think Certified left a lot to be desired this year but even Topps has a couple duds every year. I'd like to see Panini get Pinnacle back for collecting sake. It would not be an investing product but most everyone enjoys the dufex cards.

Last edited:

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Just curious, why do you all feel Panini is junk? I think they've used some really cool design techniques. They've given us Crusades back, they've don a lot of coll looking diecuts and also a lot of acetate type cards. Obviously a lot of their products aren't super high end but I think they provide a decent bang for the buck.

You should watch their breaks some time. It can be painful to see what they're charging to cover costs and then what's getting pulled compared to a Topps break.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
As a dealer I don't like Panini. They're pumping unneeded products out faster than Fleer ever did.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
You should watch their breaks some time. It can be painful to see what they're charging to cover costs and then what's getting pulled compared to a Topps break.

I've been very happy with the retail side of things. Topps offers me very little for my money retail wise unless it is topps chrome. I do think Panini makes a slew of products but in a way that's kind of cool. It gives me a choice. The inserts look nice and while it isn't high end, it's collectable. Anyone busting a lot of it should get some nice looking stuff. No it won't be worth a fortune but are you paying a fortune for it? The only thing I don't like about a lot of these products is it's so focused on rookie autos. I want autos of stars and vets too. But I'd say percentage wise, there is always less.

Threebboyz

Jan 7, 2013
Im all in on chrome this year... And the only decent panini release is contenders, which I will try my hand at. Of all last years rookie autos, contenders sell for the most consistently..

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
I've been very happy with the retail side of things. Topps offers me very little for my money retail wise unless it is topps chrome. I do think Panini makes a slew of products but in a way that's kind of cool. It gives me a choice. The inserts look nice and while it isn't high end, it's collectable. Anyone busting a lot of it should get some nice looking stuff. No it won't be worth a fortune but are you paying a fortune for it? The only thing I don't like about a lot of these products is it's so focused on rookie autos. I want autos of stars and vets too. But I'd say percentage wise, there is always less.

I agree, and yet at the same time some of the breaks have the "I paid that much, for this?!?" feel to them more often than not. So its more like they overprice their products past what the value and demands actually dictates

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts