Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Why not insert them instead of selling them outright?

I don't agree with it but people are saying because the back of the cards have the language on them that they're signed. But they're not, so it's a liability?

I think the entire thing is stupid.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
They were stamped with his life years after the fact (altered), so I don't buy that as an issue. A disclaimer could have been added if absolutely necessary. I'd rather see something like that packed out than stashed away, destroyed or otherwise not made available just because the player was not able to sign the cards.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
1. It says "Authentic Signature" on the FRONT. These could not have been packed out.
2. You guys make very valid points about " donating to Charity (namely the TAG Fund). That would have been an amazing idea, but I can hardly blame Brian off taking the route he did. If you have not noticed, Leaf sells a lot of things (singles) on EBay like this.
3. I bought one. Maybe the first one? Not sure, but even as a loud opponent to the non-licensed cards and no logos, I could not pass the opportunity to pick one up for the price, and the circumstance of not being able to pack these out, and maybe the last card ever produced of Gwynn before he passed. Worst case scenario (Topps, Fleer, etc...) they would have ended up with Cardboardpimping, or Bigboyd, or some other even more shady scenario (guy at a garage sale/swap meet). [MENTION=1948]Leaf[/MENTION] did what he needed to do to take ownership of the cards, and generate some advertising as well.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
For the record, my biggest issue is just with a manufacturer of baseball cards turning the tables and selling cards as if they're a case break flipper of individual cards. No one can argue with that. Think how much more money Topps can make if they were to just sell all the premium cards individually! In all seriousness though, the cost of some cards to Topps is nothing compared to what they sell for after being flipped on eBay. At some level there needs to be a difference.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
1. It says "Authentic Signature" on the FRONT. These could not have been packed out.
Why not? They could have made a press release explaining clearly what they are and release them just like this with the stamp. Or reprint new cards face and pack it out. Its not that hard. But also not nearly as profitable.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
For the record, my biggest issue is just with a manufacturer of baseball cards turning the tables and selling cards as if they're a case break flipper of individual cards. No one can argue with that. Think how much more money Topps can make if they were to just sell all the premium cards individually! In all seriousness though, the cost of some cards to Topps is nothing compared to what they sell for after being flipped on eBay. At some level there needs to be a difference.

I will respectfully disagree with you on this. Case in point, how is etopps doing these days?

The premium cards inserted into packs are what drives the sales for all of the other tens of thousands of cards they would otherwise not make money on selling individually.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I will respectfully disagree with you on this. Case in point, how is etopps doing these days?

The premium cards inserted into packs are what drives the sales for all of the other tens of thousands of cards they would otherwise not make money on selling individually.

Topps should stop putting bat knob cards in product and just sell them individually. The cost of them to create a Jeter knob card is a fraction of what they could just sell it for lol. Same with all 1/1s. Why would they create some stupid Belle base 1/1 card for $0.05 when they can just go on eBay with it and sell it to me for $50 or $100? Haha

Lead has some of these relic cards with the same serial number prices $10 apart?! Why $10 apart? Well it's because if they were to put their rip and flip hat on, that one is probably a slight premium to the other lol. Just doesn't scream "were in a bind and just want to get these out to all the collectors"

This will be the biggest ROI for them this year.

---

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=5741]IUjapander[/MENTION] - Explain eTopps? They manufacture cards and sell at retail for all different prices? Taking full advantage of the consumer and trying to fully maximize on price? Please explain that reference.

---

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Smart business by leaf, capitalizing on a market.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Smart business by leaf, capitalizing on a market.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Definitely capitalizing on a market. I don't know if you'd call it smart but it's cleaver.

---

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
What is different than what Leaf is doing vs the Topps Vault? The vault sells cards that should've been inserted into packs like the 1/1 blank backs or no name cards they intentionally mess up and get premium dollar for.

Sell me your Jay Bruce cards!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
We don't know the specifics of "Q" but if that product is going to be all autos, then these Gwynns had no part in it. Can't expect Leaf to eat these cards.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
We don't know the specifics of "Q" but if that product is going to be all autos, then these Gwynns had no part in it. Can't expect Leaf to eat these cards.

Topps also may have used fake game used jerseys while trying to save cash. Should leaf also copy that bad habit?

This topic is about leaf and the bad timing (goof for them $$) of these cards not sure what topps or the vault has to do with this.

Thats why you could add these as a "bonus" (tastefully) and add value to the product.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
IMO these would of suited everyone better if they just listed as auctions and let them all ride.

---

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
"Value add" until someone complains that a product that may or may not be all autos resulted in pulling a card that isn't auto'd that "obviously took the place of an auto hit".

Don't say it wouldn't get said.

GUARANTEED ONE MILLION PERCENT it would happen!

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
"Value add" until someone complains that a product that may or may not be all autos resulted in pulling a card that isn't auto'd that "obviously took the place of an auto hit".

Don't say it wouldn't get said.

Who said anything but yourself about removing hits? is it that hard to add it to a box with a autograph already in it as an "extra"? An extra we both know isn't free.

Is there really a need to race to the market for these besides monetary gain?

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Who said anything but yourself about removing hits? is it that hard to add it to a box with a autograph already in it as an "extra"? An extra we both know isn't free.

Is there really a need to race to the market for these besides monetary gain?

Exactly. So many other ways to handle this outside of becoming a rip/flip seller on eBay with them.

---

Members online