Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

All-Star Game Rosters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
SERIOUS..GET OVER IT... Did you pay attention to who he picked? He did not pick any Cardinal and picked Jay Bruce along with Hammels, Papplebon, Ruiz(who should BE THERE), Miley, Street and Stanton. Of his 9 picks he had, 4 were from teams with no representation...Miami, San Diego, Philly and Arizona. So to say he didnt pick him over some BS a couple of years ago is silly.
The ASG is far from perfect...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8122219

guzman4cy

Aug 18, 2009
Took this excerpt from ESPN.com...

"For his part, Greinke told the Brewers he wanted a chance to pitch in the All-Star Game, and so the Milwaukee pitching schedule was arranged so that he would start Monday night, and then on Saturday before the All-Star break, rather than on Sunday.The Brewers did not receive a call from La Russa or others asking about Greinke's pitching schedule, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Olney. La Russa told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he had been informed that Greinke is scheduled to pitch Sunday before the All-Star break, and this is why he wasn't considered for the NL team."

Greinke deserved this honor more than Lance Lynn, hopefully they'll find a way to get him on the roster.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Took this excerpt from ESPN.com...

"For his part, Greinke told the Brewers he wanted a chance to pitch in the All-Star Game, and so the Milwaukee pitching schedule was arranged so that he would start Monday night, and then on Saturday before the All-Star break, rather than on Sunday.The Brewers did not receive a call from La Russa or others asking about Greinke's pitching schedule, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Olney. La Russa told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he had been informed that Greinke is scheduled to pitch Sunday before the All-Star break, and this is why he wasn't considered for the NL team."

Greinke deserved this honor more than Lance Lynn, hopefully they'll find a way to get him on the roster.

Pretty sure that was the blanket excuse given by TL.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
Don't think Salty was snubbed, he's been dreadful defensively all season.

Also, while the AL lineup appears to be a bit better, the NL has one hell of a group of reserves. Top five of Braun, Cargo, Cutch, Stanton, and Wright are MUCH better than Miggy, Konerko, Trout, Jones, and Trumbo IMO.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I would argue that catcher and SS are the two positions where defense comes into play. Remember, Varitek made the team as a .220 hitter one year.
It's a popularity contest. The fan vote.....no one votes for the best defender in baseball. The manager doesn't either obviously....none of the several best defensive players in baseball made the team this season. Fans want to see offense, a higher scoring game gets more viewers.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
396766_262661747168029_911764022_n.jpg

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
It's a popularity contest. The fan vote.....no one votes for the best defender in baseball. The manager doesn't either obviously....none of the several best defensive players in baseball made the team this season. Fans want to see offense, a higher scoring game gets more viewers.

Yeah but Asdrubal Cabrera, Elvis Andrus, and Matt Wieters are not exactly making offensive highlights every night. I think their defense had a bit to do with it. Asdrubal is a complete package, I can except that. Wieters is on the verge of being the best catcher in baseball if he can get consistent with his bat. But their defense is what puts them ahead of others at their position.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Yeah but Asdrubal Cabrera, Elvis Andrus, and Matt Wieters are not exactly making offensive highlights every night. I think their defense had a bit to do with it. Asdrubal is a complete package, I can except that. Wieters is on the verge of being the best catcher in baseball if he can get consistent with his bat. But their defense is what puts them ahead of others at their position.
If I'm not mistaken Andrus was picked by Washington, Cabrera is Clevelands only rep, and Wieters is solid offensively and his glove may have given him the nod over a couple of other catchers. We sure know Mauer didn't get picked for his glove...

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
If I'm not mistaken Andrus was picked by Washington, Cabrera is Clevelands only rep, and Wieters is solid offensively and his glove may have given him the nod over a couple of other catchers. We sure know Mauer didn't get picked for his glove...

Cabrera would've have made it regardless if the Indians had 8 reps. He is the best SS in the AL, period. Wieters is the second best defensive catcher in baseball and got the nod over A.J. because of his defense (if you would ask me the three catchers that deserve to go I would've said A.J., Wieters, Mauer in that order....but Napoli was voted in....A.J. got robbed!!)...Wieters is hitting below .250 going into today! How does that not scream defensive AS berth?

Elvis was brought to the bigs at a young age b/c of his defense, pure and simple. He's having a great year for a SS offensively, and he deserves to go. But his defense IS a factor.

Does Salty deserve to go from an offensive standpoint? Sure. But he's arguable the worst defender of the "AS contenders" in Napoli, Wieters, Mauer, A.J. and himself.

I'm just debating this b/c I believe, like the past has shown, that at the C and SS positions, defensive CAN play a huge part in the selections process.

Members online

Latest posts