Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AP - "I want to be the best ever"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Ugh, I sooooo didn't want this to be as serious as it might be. I'm all for corporal punishment, but if the reports about a doctor having to be involved are true, I might not be able to defend AP.

As a Packer fan, I derive ZERO glee from this on any level.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
If these pictures are legit, then it goes beyond a simple whipping with a switch. That, I have no problem with. This... well, there's a whole lot wrong with it. They show that the switch wrapped around the child's leg and drew blood - you can see the scabs.

s8nHifi.png

In this story from CBS Minnesota, you can see clearly see how bad these wounds are when you view the pictures individually.
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

Beating a four year old is abuse. 4 year olds learn nothing from being beaten.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Looking back on what I wrote, I sure could have done a little better with my word choices.

Beating is abuse, yes. A quick swat or two on the butt for misbehaving is not, imo. I'm not talking full windup swat, but just enough to get the rascal's attention. Using a switch with that much force on anyone, regardless of age, is abuse.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Looking back on what I wrote, I sure could have done a little better with my word choices.

Beating is abuse, yes. A quick swat or two on the butt for misbehaving is not, imo. I'm not talking full windup swat, but just enough to get the rascal's attention. Using a switch with that much force on anyone, regardless of age, is abuse.
Hitting a child with anything other than your hand seems excessive.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Understood, and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm of an age where I remember switches, and kids being made to go cut their own. I know there are studies showing that any kind of corporal punishment of a child is wrong, and other studies that refute that. Plenty of kids have been spanked, or had their hides "tanned with a switch" and turned out just fine. Others haven't turned out fine at all - that may or may not have been because they were physically punished. And there are kids that grew up without any kind of physical punishment - most turned out just fine, but some didn't.

Please understand that I'm not condoning child abuse - far from it. I know intimately what real child abuse is all about. The pictures stemming from AP's indictment definitely cross the line of what is and isn't abuse.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I've bled once and that was when my grandmother got after me with part of a rose bush she'd trimmed. Those thorns hurt! But yeah, these wounds definitely look over the top. I would get red welts normally. Not cuts. This may have been one of those times where his temper got the better of him and he hit with more force than he realized.

As for whipping a child, I think it can help. I've seen people do it, and not do it. I believe how the child turns out is ultimately up to the child after a certain age. I turned out how I did because I always felt like my parents had my back and I didn't want to let them down. A lot of friends didn't go down that path and had a lot of struggles because of it. And some didn't. I guess you just don't ever know.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
As I stated in this post...this needs to concentrate on family. You gives these guys an opportunity and take them out of the ghetto and *poof* it all goes up in smoke........

Ghetto? What makes you think AP was ever "in" a ghetto?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I always thought he grew up in the hood or at least that is how he explains his upbringing, etc. I suppose one would have to define "ghetto" or "hood" or whatever.

The area where he grew up is not great. But it's no where close to being a ghetto. Palestine is small. I have family there. It's got it's good and bad parts. But it's not terrible.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The area where he grew up is not great. But it's no where close to being a ghetto. Palestine is small. I have family there. It's got it's good and bad parts. But it's not terrible.

Yea, I didn't call it a ghetto but I did call it a hood but we're splitting hairs I'm sure. Either way, when he talks about his upbringing, he talks about it as if he grew up in a terrible area and that he fell on hard times and he paints a picture as if it was a ghetto or hood... at least for those of us who might not have grew up in such places.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Ok, thanks. I wasn't aware of his history. I don't think that where or how aaa person is brought up would factor in to one's abusing his (or any) child. I mean really, abuse crosses all circles of society, doesn't it?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Ok, thanks. I wasn't aware of his history. I don't think that where or how aaa person is brought up would factor in to one's abusing his (or any) child. I mean really, abuse crosses all circles of society, doesn't it?

Yeah but I think abuse can be something you learn although I'm sure people would disagree with me. While it's not abuse, I tend to hold people close to me to a higher standard and expect more out of them because that's what I got from my folks...mainly my dad. I never felt I could be quick enough or smart enough for him. He was very impatient and I have noticed myself being the same way. But there's also things that went on in my childhood that I'll never do to my children or my wife. Because I know how bad it sucked.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Yeah but I think abuse can be something you learn although I'm sure people would disagree with me. While it's not abuse, I tend to hold people close to me to a higher standard and expect more out of them because that's what I got from my folks...mainly my dad. I never felt I could be quick enough or smart enough for him. He was very impatient and I have noticed myself being the same way. But there's also things that went on in my childhood that I'll never do to my children or my wife. Because I know how bad it sucked.

Good for you man. We're all products of our environments, but it seems like only a percentage of us learn from our experiences. One thing I know for sure, the damage done by a users such as AP has a profound impact on the victims their whole lives. It's very sad and a crime of the highest level. AP should do time, a lot of time.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yea, I didn't call it a ghetto but I did call it a hood but we're splitting hairs I'm sure. Either way, when he talks about his upbringing, he talks about it as if he grew up in a terrible area and that he fell on hard times and he paints a picture as if it was a ghetto or hood... at least for those of us who might not have grew up in such places.

Oh yeah, we're splitting hairs. I mean...I think of ghetto or hood and Palestine never enters my mind. But being from Houston gives me more experience to draw on. Whereas somebody from California or Chicago might never think of Houston as having bad parts and so on.

Either way, Palestine is more of a country type of place. It has it's problems but nothing major(like everywhere else really). I believe from what I've heard/seen and my family has said, there just aren't a whole lot of opportunities to be had there. I think that's why he wanted to "get out". But having several friends in the Hill Country growing up, they were all fascinated with the fact I lived in a "big city" and wanted to know what it was like to be able to go to the mall whenever I wanted or go to any type of restaurant I wanted because they couldn't. It was like they were bored and had nothing to do and dreamed of getting out of their small little town where nothing "cool" ever happened and the future was kind of bleak. That's kind of how I take what AP said.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Anybody who hits a 4 year old, with a stick or switch or anything to leave marks like that in those pictures, should never play again...NEVER
JMO

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I'm torn. Did AP go too far? Obviously. It's not my personal parenting style, but there is certainly merit in corporal punishment applied correctly. The effectiveness is in the frequency and intensity. The child certainly needs to feel pain and associate the pain with their transgression. Drawing blood is undoubtedly going too far and several swats would seem to be sufficient to make your point, rather than the double digit swats that AP seemed to have employed. However, in a country of kids seriously lacking in discipline, do we really want to go after the parents that go overboard one time and use too much discipline? (I am assuming that this was the only time AP went this far with discipline until I hear differently.)

Perhaps some of these kids running around like a pack of wild animals would think twice about it if they had a Daddy at home waiting with a switch or belt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRimco4H4E

Members online

Latest posts