Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Back after a couple of years of being gone..what is going on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
Hi all.
Been off playing ball for a couple of years and haven't had a chance to really look at cards. I started looking at the Elite cards that came out recently and saw some familiar names (love to find a Dane Phillips card, he's a great guy I played a season with). Last time I was looking at prospects the economy was in the toilet and it was real hard to move anything that wasn't timely and hot. It looked like cards were going to become a big money pit for anyone in the market so I didn't want to be holding anything.

What's been going on with the current state of cards? I know big names like Taveras and Bundy will always sell well but what about the rest of guys? It looked like Bowman Chrome was getting saturated with an incredible number of refractors; I thought the orange refractors were too much a few years ago and I assume they've only ramped up the production. Do gold refractors still have the allure of years ago?

I also saw that a lot of the popular prospects have Leaf cards.. I don't know anything about those. Are they consider quality by collector standards? Are they like Razor Signature cards and is Bowman still supreme on the market?

Thanks for the help guys. Looking forward to picking up a few cards soon.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Welcome back.. check with Jaypers as far as which young kids to invest in..

Prospecting is still a crap shoot as it always has been, but once in awhile you get lucky.. (my wife pulled a Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Redemption for Brett Lawrie that I sold for $750.. that once they were live sold for $1200)

Are you still playing, trying to make it thru the various levels? Which organization?

I'm sure there will be some better answers, but I thought I would say welcome back!

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks. Not trying to look for prospecting advice! Haha, I'm still playing in college but sense the end is near for my journey. Got the chance to play with and against a lot of guys that made it into organizations though. It's funny to see it from a different perspective on guys who are considered big names and such by collectors! It's a bit like insider trading haha.

hagausaf

Nov 23, 2008
Tampa, FL
I was out of cards for a year and some change too but not playing ball, I was dodging bullets and IED's lol. Welcome back as well

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
There is infinitely more respect and significance in that than any prospect or mlb player chucking baseballs for a living!

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
Anyone else have any new insight? I've been looking around at Ebay but have been overwhelmed. I managed to pick up a Dane Phillips Elite Gold Auto /10 today for what I believe to be a decent price, especially since he had the talent to be a first round bat. At $15 I figured it was low risk buy!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts