Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best Pen for Autos Test : Ruined a perfectly nice ROMLB...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
the1mcjensen said:
in my experience, for silver, srx all the way. better than silver sharpie and paint pens and dont have to be prepped. they last a good while as well.

evanlongoriatampabayraysmini.jpg

looks better in person

not baseball, but there are 80+ on here, all done with 1 srx pen from start to finish over 7 months

BuccaneersFullSizeasof10-19-2010a.jpg
BuccaneersFullSizeasof10-19-2010b.jpg
BuccaneersFullSizeasof10-19-2010c.jpg
BuccaneersFullSizeasof10-19-2010d.jpg
BuccaneersFullSizeasof10-19-2010e.jpg
Those look much better than paint markers.

tikitomoka said:
Big Mac McGwire said:
Hahaha. Wow. You my friend are about as lackluster as your hurting selection of autographs you are trying to peddle on eBay.How long you been doing this? I been at it 21 years.  But my experience has no merit. Hot streak with Bryce Harper? Jealous??Cause that's what you sound like. It's funny how bitter and ignorant you come off . Disregard for others opinions?? Yea ****, I am the most cocky dude on here.  Ask everyone as I have no doubt they will agree. I'll help you out, would you like me to help you pay for your next meal by purchasing your single letter Pippen Photo? Your not too much of a rip job scumbag dealer.  I hope I annoy you. I do what I do better in the combined month out of the year then what you do year round.  Go peddle your garbage graphs. Your as much of a joke as the 99% of the people who's ******* you ride and kiss on the other site. I hope you look forward to reading more of my obnoxious posts. My intent is for your delight.
nothing to prove my point wrong in your post. you asked a question, i answered. i'm not going to get into a pissing contest over how many years you've been paying others to get autographs for you nor am i going to compete over who has the better collection. there's no way i would pay the money you have and still will to piece your collection together, rather than actually get it all done yourself. the shat (and i'll be the first to tell you that what i have on ebay at the moment is shat since i have had no time to list anything in quite a while) that's on ebay isn't a tenth of my collection nor does all of the things i get signed go up there, and it also doesn't "pay for my next meal". i don't have the dispensable income that you do to throw hundreds of dollars at photos with marker on them. ebay helps me pay for that. i see absolutely nothing wrong with that either. and please, show me who's ass i kiss on sportsgraphing. i'm the exact same way as i am on here and you don't like people that don't like every single success you post so you get defensive and use personal attacks that do nothing but further your appearance as an ignorant, uneducated adult who has a sick obsession with mark mcgwire.

I don't need anyone to like my success'. You have no clue how I piece my collection together. All you know about me is I have a sick obsession for McGwire. That's it. you started taking shots at me so today I asked why and I figured I would insult you as you have done so to me. Besides that keep your mouth shut in regards to anything I post unless it is directly pointed  at you . You call me ignorant but you are the one who started making negative comments about me without ever meeting me and or etc.Your signature has changed from your twitter to you now stating you are an a-hole. At least I know what kind of a person I'm dealing with. I don't pick squabbles with people I never met on boards.   If you don't like what I post then don't read it. 
You obviously read my posts and have done estimates on how much money I spend and what i spend it on . I will my have 2nd degree in december so i am sorry for not graphing something every single day. You obviously have thought more about me then I have you. Say what you want but you sound bitter and jealous. And you call me pompous. Don't worry bout my graphing habits, who I collect and what I buy. But you obviously have and it bothers you for some strange creepy reason. But it's also nice to have a fan. I appreciate your acknowledgement. 
It's nice to have an admirer. 

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Guys relax. Obviously we have some differing viewpoints. No big deal. Just speak your piece and at least it'll be out there. Hopefully someone sees it and sees the discrepancy and does a little homework for themselves.

New sharpies can streak. That is not debateable. What it really depends on is the surface. If its glossy you have a hell of a chance of it streaking. On chrome, or anything really glossy. If you get something signed that is rough, it will go on a little better and since it's new, it can leave a nice, clean, and thin auto. Heritage cards or something of that stock, maybe even Allen and Ginter, are perfect for brand new sharpies. Anything glossy, well, lets just say it depends on what you like. Me, I don't like that chance.

As for how many years people here have been doing this...who cares. I've actually met people in person who have been collecting and even selling autos for years and sometimes you can run across people who really don't know what they are doing. Some don't want to, some just flat out don't believe you. Whatever. It's their hard work. I suppose they can choose the results. It is apparent that a good majority of this board represents(or should be) itself as casual collectors that go to get the occasional auto. There are a few who know what they are talking about(even if I don't agree with all of their conclusions).
Might be better in the future to put these types in the IP and auto section.

Oh...and the1mcjensen...that TB Rays helmet looks kinda light in some spots as well as a little too loopy. But it held a lot better on the Bucs helmet I see. It doesn't look as loopy. Which leads me to believe that those baseball helmets just flat out suck when it comes to getting them auto'd. Has to be something on the surface of the material.

kev, the guy takes shots at me on Here and on another site were on. I get along with 99% of the people in here. But this guy feels I portray myself as pompous and above everybody else. He's a jealous troll. Plain and simple. How people collect is their own and who and why they collect is unique for everyone. I fed the troll today. How someone estimates what others spend on their collection Is rediculous. I guess I will just have to blame my dad for all the trips to the Bronx in the early 90's when the A's came to town.
Hands down one of the most comical disputes I ever gotten into. To bash someone for buying autographs and who they collect and who they get to sign for. Unreal

predatorkj said:
Guys relax. Obviously we have some differing viewpoints. No big deal. Just speak your piece and at least it'll be out there. Hopefully someone sees it and sees the discrepancy and does a little homework for themselves.

New sharpies can streak. That is not debateable. What it really depends on is the surface. If its glossy you have a hell of a chance of it streaking. On chrome, or anything really glossy. If you get something signed that is rough, it will go on a little better and since it's new, it can leave a nice, clean, and thin auto. Heritage cards or something of that stock, maybe even Allen and Ginter, are perfect for brand new sharpies. Anything glossy, well, lets just say it depends on what you like. Me, I don't like that chance.

As for how many years people here have been doing this...who cares. I've actually met people in person who have been collecting and even selling autos for years and sometimes you can run across people who really don't know what they are doing. Some don't want to, some just flat out don't believe you. Whatever. It's their hard work. I suppose they can choose the results. It is apparent that a good majority of this board represents(or should be) itself as casual collectors that go to get the occasional auto. There are a few who know what they are talking about(even if I don't agree with all of their conclusions).

Oh...and the1mcjensen...that TB Rays helmet looks kinda light in some spots as well as a little too loopy. But it held a lot better on the Bucs helmet I see. It doesn't look as loopy. Which leads me to believe that those baseball helmets just flat out suck when it comes to getting them auto'd. Has to be something on the surface of the material.

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
Big Mac McGwire said:
kev, the guy takes shots at me on Here and on another site were on. I get along with 99% of the people in here. But this guy feels I portray myself as pompous and above everybody else. He's a jealous troll. Plain and simple. How people collect is their own and who and why they collect is unique for everyone. I fed the troll today. How someone estimates what others spend on their collection Is rediculous. I guess I will just have to blame my dad for all the trips to the Bronx in the early 90's when the A's came to town.
Hands down one of the most comical disputes I ever gotten into. To bash someone for buying autographs and who they collect and who they get to sign for. Unreal

predatorkj said:

obviously my jealousy of your bryce harper's has overtaken my life and caused me to go on a summer-long roadtrip to stalk bryce harper in hopes of getting him everyday of a four game series. you got me. i posted my opinion on sharpies and used your harper as a reference. nothing more, nothing less. you got defensive shockingly enough and asked why i don't like you, so i told you. you brought the personal attacks and the name calling. all i was trying to do was contribute my opinion to the thread and you came in with a personal agenda and started this whole thing. just like you collect how you want, i collect how i want. nowhere did i "estimate" how much you spend on it, i simply made an observation based on your past posts of things that other people have gotten signed for you. and how is it any different when you bash me for doing what i do when it comes to autographs? its not. like i said, i apologize that i don't have the disposable income that you do to throw into autographs and use ebay to create that. i'll go back to getting cards signed since it bothers you.

cwells46

Aug 7, 2008
Pigeon Forge, TN
New sharpie botched my Geo 8x10 :(

Soto8x10.jpg

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
tikitomoka said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

predatorkj said:

obviously my jealousy of your bryce harper's has overtaken my life and caused me to go on a summer-long roadtrip to stalk bryce harper in hopes of getting him everyday of a four game series. you got me. i posted my opinion on sharpies and used your harper as a reference. nothing more, nothing less. you got defensive shockingly enough and asked why i don't like you, so i told you. you brought the personal attacks and the name calling. all i was trying to do was contribute my opinion to the thread and you came in with a personal agenda and started this whole thing. just like you collect how you want, i collect how i want. nowhere did i "estimate" how much you spend on it, i simply made an observation based on your past posts of things that other people have gotten signed for you. and how is it any different when you bash me for doing what i do when it comes to autographs? its not. like i said, i apologize that i don't have the disposable income that you do to throw into autographs and use ebay to create that. i'll go back to getting cards signed since it bothers you.

I think both of you need to move on. As predator stated, we all have differing opinions on things. That's partly why I started this thread and experiment. I was looking for a definitive guide on getting autographs. The only thing I got was more confusion. Staedtler, Bic, Jetstream...Sharpie, Steadler...broken tip, new tip.

I appreciate both of your contributions, because it gives me something to think about, but I think that's as far as it needs to go.

Alot gets lost in words...especially on forums. Thanks.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
cwells46 said:

Soto8x10.jpg

I wouldn't say that is too bad. I'm kinda in the middle on stuff like that. On one hand, being a hardcore auto collector, I see the flaws. On the other, I am just happy to have the auto. It's torturous at times. I've got an Ladanian Tomlinson helmet that did that. Marker wasn't even new either. Every time I see it I am torn. On one hand I love the fact that I got it(especially for free) and on the other I say "Damn! That could have come out better!".

In any case, learn from whatever mistake you feel you made, and enjoy the auto. Because it's not like you can do anything about it anyways. That is about all you can do. But it doesn't look that bad.

cwells46

Aug 7, 2008
Pigeon Forge, TN
predatorkj said:
cwells46 said:

I wouldn't say that is too bad. I'm kinda in the middle on stuff like that. On one hand, being a hardcore auto collector, I see the flaws. On the other, I am just happy to have the auto. It's torturous at times. I've got an Ladanian Tomlinson helmet that did that. Marker wasn't even new either. Every time I see it I am torn. On one hand I love the fact that I got it(especially for free) and on the other I say "Damn! That could have come out better!".

In any case, learn from whatever mistake you feel you made, and enjoy the auto. Because it's not like you can do anything about it anyways. That is about all you can do. But it doesn't look that bad.

It's ok but would look a ton betters with a thicker sig for sure.....

G

predatorkj said:
cwells46 said:

Soto8x10.jpg

The worst part is the placement of the auto in relation to his crotch

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
GoldenBuckeyes said:
The worst part is the placement of the auto in relation to his crotch

On that picture, that is probably the best place for it. I hate a busy background but it's hard to find a picture without one. That is why I don't fool with photos for the most part.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I have had a little experience with "experiments" (or lack of knowledge).

When I was starting to learn the IP ropes, I thought OLB's were the balls to get signed (mainly because I bought a Fergie Jenkins and Mudcat Grant signed OLB's from their booth at TwinsFest ::facepalm:: ). Now, obviously they are the worst balls to get signed...

Here is what I have found. If anyone would like pics to see, I can probably round some up

Wal-Mart Rawlings leather Baseballs + sharpie (given enough time to dry) = a decent signature (sometimes).

Wal-Mart Rawlings Leather + BIC Pen = decent signature (all the time. I have had no problems. I have one signed in black that hasn't faded)

MacGregor Baseballs (lol) + BIC pen = ink bleeds in a rather cool way, but not what a collector would like to see

MacGregor Baseballs + sharpie = usually a good standing signature for a while, but then might fade a bit

OLB + sharpie = def. fading, usually fairly quick

OLB + BIC Pen = guaranteed quick fading

(R)OMLB + BIC Pen = best results I have had so far. These are the only baseballs I will buy anymore too. No fading. All of mine have bright signatures on them.

Riddell Mini-Helmet (baseball) + BRAND NEW Silver Sharpie = I noticed a few, very small spots on the signatures but you have to be up close to see them.

I could go through a ton of different cards I had signed with different things too, but that would be boring. All I have to say, if it is glossy, it better be prepped (for sharpie).

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
boxbreaker44 said:
I seem to find most "graphers" pretty obnoxious and annoying. Not all but a lot are.

I agree, the same goes for TTMers but they all have there place in the hobby so I stay out of it.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I was just wondering if there was any update on a / that ball signed w/ lumocolor.
Ive been hearing more and more people using those pens/markers for baseballs lately and just wondering how the graph stands out...yrs later.

Members online

Latest posts