Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bought 1 hobby box of strata elite and gridiron very disappointed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03cobrakid

Jan 10, 2013
Hi my name is Joe just joined the site and really just got back into the hobby over the past couple weeks after not buying a card in about 7 years. So I figured I would buy a couple boxes to get back into and get that rush of opening packs again but I must say I was very disappointed with every box I got. The hits were all worth less and just a rough way to lose 300$. I no that's the risk of buying boxes but I probably only got about $40 in value back in all 3 boxes total. Well here's what I got.
2012 strata
Rookie auto Bobby Rainey
Alshon Jeffrey relic # 13/296
Clear cuts auto relic Greg child's
A bunch of base rookies

2012 elite
Marshawn lynch aspirations #55/76
Adrian Peterson prime numbers #631/999
Desean Jackson elite series #11/49
Tommy streeter hard hats #370/399
Trent Richardson elite series #931/999
Brandon Weeden rc # 215/699
Alfred Morris rc # 538/999
Couple other rookies no one special
The hits were
Harrison smith auto numbered
Danny coale auto numbered
Mychal Kendrick's auto numbered
Brandon Weeden relic #1/299
Prob did better on numbered cards then the hits

2012 gridiron
David Wilson gridiron gems auto relic# to 299
Adrien Robinson auto # to 99
Coby fleener jumbo relic numbered to 99
Joe Adams triple patch card (nice patches) numbered to 49

I want to continue to get back into the hobby but if this is what ppl are getting for a return for expensive boxes I don't think I can do that. Just work on personal collections I guess. All cards are for sale trade or on eBay currently if you guys want anything. Thanks joe

03cobrakid

Jan 10, 2013
Not compared to what the market has become. But to not even get 1/4 of the value you spend on the box is tough. What are you gona do I guess that how it is now.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Busting boxes should be for fun only.

Go in there with that attitude and you're always happy. If you're expecting to break even or make money, you'll be disappointed 99% of the time. Brutal truth.

Estanko

Dec 16, 2012
I have learned that you need to get the best bang for your buck. Right now for me that was chrome and contenders coming out at the end of the month. I also like absolute.

mkhawk21

Oct 7, 2012
Mason City, IA
I have learned that you need to get the best bang for your buck. Right now for me that was chrome and contenders coming out at the end of the month. I also like absolute.

I agree with you on this. Chrome made me a good amount back in return and absolute has been a fun break as well. Looking forward to Contenders. I've done some breaks with some others just to see what else is out there but as someone mentioned before I go into those looking to have fun and if I hit something bigger, all the better.

03cobrakid

Jan 10, 2013
I agree that it's for the fun of the hobby but I mean to not even get a quarter of what u spent is bad.

Threebboyz

Jan 7, 2013
I dont sell anything right away. I collect. I never understood how people can go buy a box and sell everything.. Why not just play the lotto? I dropped 2500 this year bb and fb only and dont plan on selling or trading anything till they're worth something!

Jan 5, 2013
Wyoming
I have to agree as well, that trying to recover what you spent is nearly impossible, unless you hit blackmon, rg3, or luck...Opening boxes should be for the fun of it, even though I have to admit....I was getting frustrated, cause I would buy rack packs from target, or wal mart, with no success, till about a month ago, I bought a chrome rack pack from wal mart, only to look in last pack and hit a Andrew Luck Auto...I about fell over, sold it to my local lcs for $385, and was happy...

I guess the moral of the story is never say never, I have hit several bad boxes, then hit some, and even a $500 card in a rack pack from wally world, so keep your head up!!:D

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Welcome to the boards, CobraKid. Sorry you fared poorly on your purchase. It is important to be discerning on box purchases nowadays, given modern pricing. I'd recommend checking out the boards on FCB and seeing what members are saying about the value of boxes before investing in one. Like any investment, some packs are safer risks, some are like "junk bonds" (high risk of losing big, but when you win, you win big), and some aren't worth your investment.

If you want to be "risk averse" in your collecting, it is usually a better idea to purchase singles than to open packs if you are concerned about getting your money's worth. Of course, the cards you buy may go down (or up) over time, but if you buy intelligently, you'll be getting fair value at the time of purchase. Granted, buying singles or card lots may not equal the fun of buying packs, but at least you get to decide exactly what you'll be receiving in return for your hard earned cash.

03cobrakid

Jan 10, 2013
Def agree with everything you guys are saying and busting boxes has always been like that and is all about the fun. I'm just saying I feel like you should be able to get bought half your value back. I mean I still enjoy it just think its surprising you can't get some value back.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I have to agree as well, that trying to recover what you spent is nearly impossible, unless you hit blackmon, rg3, or luck...Opening boxes should be for the fun of it, even though I have to admit....I was getting frustrated, cause I would buy rack packs from target, or wal mart, with no success, till about a month ago, I bought a chrome rack pack from wal mart, only to look in last pack and hit a Andrew Luck Auto...I about fell over, sold it to my local lcs for $385, and was happy...

I guess the moral of the story is never say never, I have hit several bad boxes, then hit some, and even a $500 card in a rack pack from wally world, so keep your head up!!:D

I thought you just said the card was $385.00.:confused:, It not a 500 dollar unless you sell it for that much. So did you hit 2 high dollars cards from rack packs:confused: Or are you talking about the same card you sold for 385.00 and left money on the table??

Members online

Latest posts