Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brian Gray Sues the Industry Summit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Love him or hate him, the man is speaking out publicly about a lot of the things in the industry that we all complain about regularly. At the very least, anyone who loves this hobby should be able to respect that regardless of whether or not you like his products.

Perfect.

Man that sig of yours is mesmerizing. Harper can mash.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
does it suck? Absolutely.

Will the public know, or more importantly care? Probably not.

Now, if Leaf was banned from The Show, then there might be more public outrage

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
So you've never in your life sold a redemption card?

Yes. I have. I didn't used to. But recently, if I pull one, I sell it right away. It sucks because it might be a good pull. But what else am I supposed to do? Wait for it to never be made and end up with 3 Gary Carter autos from a set that doesn't exist three years later?

Just so you know, I stopped buying very much wax. I want my hits. Not IOU's that never get paid. I'll have to stick to buying rack packs at retail until I know I'm not being ****** around when I spend $80 on a hobby box. For now, the only reason I bust anything is for a base set. The only motivation on busting a $80 or more box of cards has been taken from me (the chance of a good hit). So yeah, if I am pretty much forced into that corner, I'd rather not bust wax boxes and just sell the few redemptions I do pull from rack packs. Passing the buck? Yes. But it's sad that I have to give up my "big pull". And I do see it as a problem.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Your a joke. He does come across as a ****** and again I never said he is acting like a 4th grader maybe when your done blowing BG you could take a minute and try to comprehend that me saying it isnt 4th grade not everyone gets invited to the party means that very simply the person holding the summit is under no obligation to have BG there and we are all adults and not everyone has to be invited to everything.

The promoter has every right to tell people they can or cant be there because its his event. Bg doesnt help his image by suing anyone who looks at him wrong.

You guys are getting silly. You mentioning what you did pretty clearly insinuates that you feel Gray is acting like a 4th grader. Otherwise, why use the reference, even with your explanation of the reference? Just own it already man! This back and forth between all of you where a person says what they say but retracts and doesn't mean it like they said it makes this thread kill my brain cells. And no, it's not a reading comprehension issue. It's more of a "if you don't mean it then don't write it issue". Your ****** reference was clearly worded and therefore understandable. But your last statement leaves two conclusions. Either you believe he is what he seems like or you got your words twisted about the 4th grade issue. Either way, who cares? Let's move along.

As far as Jimmyjam is concerned, buying topps products does not make you a topps apologist. But saying if they insert an item in a product that is worth less in the end than the paper it's printed on due to never being made is not a big deal because you can pass it off just makes you sound like you don't feel there is a problem. There is one. Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean there isn't one. Because honestly it is affecting you. Otherwise, you'd normally prefer to sell the card in hand, not a redemption. Let's just leave it at that.

Does Brian have a right to go? Yes. If he isn't wanted, maybe he would bow out. But if he feels that it's being done purposefully to hurt his business, he has a right to take measures against that.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
So...we all have freedom of association. If the organizer doesn't want to associate with Leaf then he doesn't have to. What am I missing?
its widely attended and invite only.

Although I have declined the invite every year it's been offered. Not that I don't want to go, but it never really lined up.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
So...we all have freedom of association. If the organizer doesn't want to associate with Leaf then he doesn't have to. What am I missing?

Maybe he shouldn't call it "Industry Summit" then, if it's only for companies he decides he wants there.

It's like having the National, but uninviting Dave and Adam's because either A) you don't like Adam's arrogant attitude or B) Blowout and BBCE said they wouldn't show if Dave and Adam's was there. Sure, you could do it, but it would be tremendously stupid and counterintuitive on your part as they are major players in the hobby.

Last edited:

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I usually listen to music during lunch. Today I listened to the speech. Cliff Notes:...

2) Brian is under the impression that the only meal # at McDonald's that is a bad choice is the #2 . News flash, Brian - all meal #'s at McDonalds become #2 s and they are all nasty and bad for you. If you take away nothing else from this post, take this to heart - STOP eating McDonalds food!!!

This pretty much sums up the thread.

cubfan86

Aug 13, 2008
Central,IL
My problem is the fact that Brian feels he is entitled to be there. The promoter doesnt have to include anyone. I wouldnt blame him one bit if he excluded Leaf based on the fact that the other companies are tired of his act. I mean if I was running a show I would much rather have Topps, Panini and Upper deck there over Leaf. They are the big boys in this industry. Very few people that collect in my area purchase Leaf products but everyone I know purchases the other three. So if you were putting on an event who would you rather have?

So what if he told him he could come and then changed his mind in order to keep his event relevant and well attended after all that is his goal.

Really??

I have been to the last 2 summit events and Brian is much more relevant and focused on making sure he is approachable regarding customer service than any other company in the business.
Panini had the balls to talk about how they have a 50% redemption fill rate at under 6 months last year, like that is a good thing. It is absurd!!!
Topps would hardly even address there redemption problems only stating that they are working on it. They have been "working on it" for years and have only gotten worse.

This whole situation is laughable.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
If your going to get this angry about the name of something being absurd may I direct you to the Affordable Healthcare Act? Its a private event from what I can tell that's the end of the story as far as a lawsuit. If Bruce paid he should get his money back. Outside of that it's sour grapes.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Isnt the Summit sponsored by GTS and other distributors that carry Leaf products?

Maybe Leaf should just go direct to dealers and have online exclusive products like Topps does and be done with the distributors that are supporting the Summit.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
If your going to get this angry about the name of something being absurd may I direct you to the Affordable Healthcare Act? Its a private event from what I can tell that's the end of the story as far as a lawsuit. If Bruce paid he should get his money back. Outside of that it's sour grapes.

Bruce???? Crap!! Now, I am lost. Who is this Bruce dude? The thread had me at sues industry summit and lost me at Bruce. I wish I was going to the summit, because I would find this Bruce guy and punch him in the throat, just for the confusion, he has added to the whole situation.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
Sorry, Brian, I'll just refer to him as Leaf dude for now on. In reference to gilmo's comment, contracts are broken all the time and there is either a clause in the contract that spells out what happens if it is broken or there is a statutory remedy. Obviously his money needs to be returned but he cannot force them to allow him to participate. That's the sour grapes part.
Bruce???? Crap!! Now, I am lost. Who is this Bruce dude? The thread had me at sues industry summit and lost me at Bruce. I wish I was going to the summit, because I would find this Bruce guy and punch him in the throat, just for the confusion, he has added to the whole situation.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Sorry, Brian, I'll just refer to him as Leaf dude for now on. In reference to gilmo's comment, contracts are broken all the time and there is either a clause in the contract that spells out what happens if it is broken or there is a statutory remedy. Obviously his money needs to be returned but he cannot force them to allow him to participate. That's the sour grapes part.

I hope you understood i was joking. This hobby needs an enema. People get to angry, attack other fans, attack company's, whine and biotch all day. Getting old to me. This affects leaf, they will try to figure it out. But it becomes a who can biotch the most thread.

None of this was aimed at you and my original post was just an attempt to bring some humor to a hobby that lacks it.

If u don't like leaf, quit the crying act and don't buy their stuff. I'm not a panini fan, but what does whining all day get done. They don't care what i think. So my complaining would only be an act to show others how mad i am. And the bottom line is, no one else cares.

It's not like the big dogs are going to think, oh chit that gmsieb guy really hates panini, we need to make him happy.

To sum it up. People biotch all dammmm day, and nothing changes and no one cares and it gets old hearing.

So quit the biotching, enjoy the hobby, or find a new one.

Again, none of this is aimed at twinsgnats. Just my thoughts on the hobby and this thread.

Cg. Maybe start a chat or board where people can complain/whine all day. Have an english professor there to correct all spelling and grammar. Look into doctor phil, see if he can join and help people on the board/chat.

Its a hobby guys. Hobby's and sports are for fun. Lighten up and enjoy it.

Last edited:

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
It's more than sour grapes, I'm sure BG had display/convention type displays to setup, travel/hotel/cab expenses that probably cant be refunded.
It's probably not about the money anyway, it's probably MLB, NFL, NHL & NBA putting pressure on the card manufacturers to do their part in keeping BG out (more so MLB). Plus Topps, UD and Panini are probably crying foul because they paid for exclusive rights to produce cards and BG is doing it without the consent of the leagues.

Fordman

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts