Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brian Gray Sues the Industry Summit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I think he ran away because of all the morons, crying all day about stuff, that has zero affect on them, but just so they can be heard.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Ok, I'll ask. I'm not a "Freedom of Association" expert, actually never heard of it before today. But after reading the supplied definition, I see it more as a tool for Leaf, than a means to kick him out? I don't think there is a "trade union", but wouldn't the summit be the closest thing, therefore them blocking him would violate the law? Serious question.

And if it is only a licensed show, then how can Historic Autographs be invited, as they don't have any licenses? Leaf has Perfect Game, and some others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
another thing, what kind of super ****** acts as though they have the power to command a specific response by anyone. I've seen you do that multiple times, only real special cases behave that way.

I'll do it from time to time. But it's usually after you've run your mouth for long enough ( not you twingnats but just anyone in general) and it's time to look at what's being said logically minus the bs(again not referring to your comments but in general). At that point, I've made up my mind that either you better start convincing me real quick, provide something worthwhile, or I'm not taking you seriously anymore and the discussion might as well be over. 99 out of a 100 times I'll get a response just like yours(although this again is not in reference to you) and at that point, the person I'm dealing with is against a wall with nowhere to go.

Of course I try to look at things logically. If I see skirting, I'm usually quick to point it out and ask you to put up or shut up.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The baby is up and I'm willing to make the argument, but S.D. needs to succumb to my demands first.

Sweet Jesus. Get over it. Get up, walk to your front door, open it, and realize there is a great big world out there that is far more important than this and your internet "demands".

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
It's more than sour grapes, I'm sure BG had display/convention type displays to setup, travel/hotel/cab expenses that probably cant be refunded.
It's probably not about the money anyway, it's probably MLB, NFL, NHL & NBA putting pressure on the card manufacturers to do their part in keeping BG out (more so MLB). Plus Topps, UD and Panini are probably crying foul because they paid for exclusive rights to produce cards and BG is doing it without the consent of the leagues.

Fordman

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I made the mistake of popping back into this thread, but the one thing I have to say is that Leaf has plenty of licenses, just not with the leagues themselves but the players associations. MLB has made clear they went for the money with Topps but the MLBPA doesn't seem to have a problem with Leaf or other "non"-licensed companies.

The industry summit is run by whom exactly? And how can they decide to exclude certain companies from attending? Just curious.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I've read this whole thread but wanted some clarification...

I keep seeing the word 'contract' thrown around, but is that really accurate in the context it is being implied? I assume what LEAF got was an invite, a invite he responded to by checking the 'attend' box and returned with the fee, is this accurate? Is there more of a substantial contract that we are not seeing here? I am honestly asking because I do not know. Also, without knowing what this 'contract' entails, can anyone confirm or deny it does not in and of itself serve as a consensus of attendance rather than a binding contract between LEAF and the Industry Summit? I just want to be sure I am understanding the meaning of 'contract' I keep reading.

Also, aside from Brian stating that he was uninvited by the Industry summit citing his previous speech as the reason (by BGs admission), do we know anything else as fact? Are their any substance to the claims and/or speculation being presented with regards to a conspiracy? I really want to try and fully understand this, but for some reason I cant get past the whole 'contract' word and it seems everything is hinging on that before we can delve in to anything else.

I would love for someone in the know to clarify that with me.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Sorry, Brian, I'll just refer to him as Leaf dude for now on. In reference to gilmo's comment, contracts are broken all the time and there is either a clause in the contract that spells out what happens if it is broken or there is a statutory remedy. Obviously his money needs to be returned but he cannot force them to allow him to participate. That's the sour grapes part.

This isn't something that is as simple as hey can I come ok heres my money, hop on a plane and show up. This requires intricate planning and coordination of staff and other promotional activities. They were very likely in the process of coordinating signers, organizing promotional material and other steps that it takes to show up that you aren't aware of. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian spends 150k on this show in addition to his fee to set up at it. If he's already spent for a show that he can now no longer set up at even though he's got a contract then damages should apply. (not a lawyer, that's just how I think it would work)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Point of clarification.

If this thread ends up in FCB's Hall of Shame, I still get my reward points, correct?

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
I think that's valid.
This isn't something that is as simple as hey can I come ok heres my money, hop on a plane and show up. This requires intricate planning and coordination of staff and other promotional activities. They were very likely in the process of coordinating signers, organizing promotional material and other steps that it takes to show up that you aren't aware of. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian spends 150k on this show in addition to his fee to set up at it. If he's already spent for a show that he can now no longer set up at even though he's got a contract then damages should apply. (not a lawyer, that's just how I think it would work)

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio

I guess people just thinks BG shows up with a suitcase full of cards and lanyard with his name on it. Its way more to set up at something like this than at a regular card show.

Fordman

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Yes JP, and they have been awarded. Keep going and you can get one of the nicer sterling autos we have up.

Ok thanks. Holding my points for a while, to eventually (hopefully) afford something big.

Carry on, all.

Members online