Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cal's "Holy Grail" up for auction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Final price (including commission) for the Ripken: $11,850.

Final price (including commission) for the partial set of 15 Police cards: $651.75.

Total for both lots: $12,501.75.

Incredible.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Not a bad day for the seller I assume. I had thought over $5-7 but didn't see 10k on a 4, but wow

Ryan

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It's funny how the commission is added at the end and not taken from the bid. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm other news, the sale in general doesn't make a lot of sense to me... I guess I'll keep moving.

---

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Chris,
Thanks for all the information and excitement in the search you have provided me with over the past few years for this card and set. An absolutely amazing card.

Brandt

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Not a bad day for the seller I assume. I had thought over $5-7 but didn't see 10k on a 4, but wow

Ryan

As of August, PSA/BGS/SGC had slabbed a combined 20 copies of the card. I know of at least one copy recently slabbed by PSA, bringing the total known population to 21. This is one of those rare cards where I do not believe a potential owner is worried about condition. It's not so much the idea of holding out for a better grade to surface as it is just owning one. This is the first public auction of one of these since 2007.

There is a known PSA 7 and PSA 8. This in itself is pretty amazing considering how the cards were distributed. In the summer of 1980, officers from the Charlotte Police Department handed out one or two cards at a time to children. The majority of distribution reports I have heard centers on officers finding kids around town and handing them out. I have also heard that some were given out at schools. I presume either before school let out for summer or in the fall of 1980. Either way, it is going to be tough for a kid to keep one in mint condition. The stock of the card plays a factor as well as it is not what I would call a traditional card stock. Very flimsy card. Very thin stock.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Chris,
Thanks for all the information and excitement in the search you have provided me with over the past few years for this card and set. An absolutely amazing card.

Brandt

Hi sir. Glad to be of assistance. I had a hunch that you were paying very close attention to what was going down last night.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I just could never justify it unless I was making a lot more than I am now! That and my girlfriend would dump me in a heartbeat :D

The sad thing is that I had an opportunity to purchase one of them in 2006 for a little over $900. Life was different then and I simply did not have the extra cash. Talk about a return on investment.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Do you guys remember some time last year when I bought a collection of 1980 Ripken cards that included both the WBTV and Police cards and the seller reneged on me? I was upset then. Now I'm really steaming. Oh well. Life goes on.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Do you guys remember some time last year when I bought a collection of 1980 Ripken cards that included both the WBTV and Police cards and the seller reneged on me? I was upset then. Now I'm really steaming. Oh well. Life goes on.

No way lol... Wow

---

RITM

Aug 25, 2008

That was tough. Didn't that guy ultimately sell the cards? I can't remember what became of them.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but a lot of people who have been selling the orange cards via BIN have got to be feeling sick right now.

Members online

Latest posts