Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Charlotte Knights SGA - 2007 Kellogg's Harris Teeter Lenticular Cards (Frank Thomas & Cal Ripken Jr)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I know there is a highly sought out Frank Thomas lenticular card that was issued as a SGA at the ballpark . I had always thought it was when he was with the team for a 10 day stint, but since I did not have the card, I didn't know. I guess I did not pay attention to the fact that it was from 2007, 2 years after his stint. Apparently local supermarket Harris Teeter and Kellogg's sponsored this give away card. I would like to own this card myself. it has the right combo of limited issue, oddball, technology (love lenticular cards) and star player I like.

According to this worthpoint capture, the card was limited to 1000 and was given out at a specific game in 2007. I presume that the seller of the card knew this because he/she attended the game and got one or more. Now anyone seeking information on an old major league promotion, let alone the minors, knows it can be tricky at best.

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 3.41.59 PM.png

Now the story doesn't end here, obviously. i would like to say that I found a Thomas, but that is not the case here. As you can probably tell by the opening description, I found something else related.

I stumbled upon a Cal Ripken Kellogg's card on ebay. As previously pointed out, I love lenticular cards and have always had an interest in them. When I clicked on the auction, I could see that this was affiliated with the Charlotte Knights and was from 2007. As it would seem, this Ripken card is very similar to the Frank Thomas card, although that worthpoint is the only image of this Thomas card i can find online). I wanted to share this discovery, but waiting until card was in hand just to be safe. I also tried to do a little more internet digging as well, since I had the card at my disposal.

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 3.48.50 PM.png

I found this article that confirms that there was a Ripken day in Charlotte in 2007. A couple thousand bobbleheads were given away and the article claimed there were other prizes as well, like hologram cards from Harris Teeter/Kellogg's. Not sure why, but not the first time hologram and lenticular were confused or maybe a press release accidentally said hologram when it meant lenticular. I am convinced this article is verifying the card I hold now and that hologram was a mistake. This Ripken is Kellogg's/Harris Teeter and references the Knights, plus it is dated 2007. it makes sense that this is the card being described.

I don't collect Ripken specifically although he is a great player and I have many items of his, which is why I am hoping one of the many fanatical Ripken collectors can advise me on this. I had never seen one or heard of it before the other day, but not being a collector of Ripken or the Knights, there would be no reason for me to know about it unless someone shared info on them that I happened upon. Besides the obvious tie to a HOF star player, the lenticular design is what really drew me to this card and ultimately how I found it. Depending on how scarce (or easy) this card is, timing may have played an ever bigger role.

How common is this card among Ripken collectors? Have I stumbled upon a lost grail or am I just late to the party for yet another oddball Ripken card everyone has already? If the Thomas is so hard to find, could Ripken be in the same club? Was $15 laughable or did I steal this item?

IMG_7696.jpgIMG_7694.jpgIMG_7693.jpgIMG_7695.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts