Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Desert Shield fakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ripken2131_8

Feb 4, 2011
Savannah, GA
Hey guys

Can any of you guys shed some light on how to spot a fake? I'd eventually like to get Cal's 2 in the set, but I obviously don't want to get duped. I've heard there's been a lot of forgeries in this set too. Is there anything I need to look out for?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I got the Jim deshaies. I went with a psa version and a raw. No noticeable differences so I think I'm good.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Hey guys

Can any of you guys shed some light on how to spot a fake? I'd eventually like to get Cal's 2 in the set, but I obviously don't want to get duped. I've heard there's been a lot of forgeries in this set too. Is there anything I need to look out for?

I tried looking, someone did a really excellent and thorough write up of how to spot a fake. Maybe someone can help me out?

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Ok, so I was reading all the comments to the article I posted the link for above, and there seems to be much confusion about what the counterfeits look like. I have 3 of the Frank Thomas Desert Shields, but they all look the same and none of them looks exactly like either of the pictures in the article. Also, if you go on ebay and look at them there, it's so hard to compare the emblems from card to card because all the scans/pics have different angles/reflections/lighting to them. I'd say to play it safe, stick to graded ones. Like pootshwan said, it's still not a guarantee, but at least graded ones have gone through SOME sort of inspection process by people who do this for a living.

Members online