Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dick Porter Holy Grail acquired...1934 Al Demaree R304

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Okay, it's not every day that I'll pay $400 for a for a tab where almost half of it is cut off...well...except for this. Basically, below the name, there was a folded over tab about the same size as the card itself.

dick-porter-al-demaree-R304.png

Even with the tab, these are really tough vintage issues and Dick Porter was one of the last to surface and this is the only one I've seen. Ever. This card still remains uncatalogued in most books. Beckett lists these as 1935, but 1934 is more of the assumed year, especially considering Porter was traded to Boston in May of 1934.

For those who know, Dick Porter was my grandfather's best friend and my dad would often go hunting, fishing, etc. with him. His only other "known" cards are 1933 Tattoo Orbit, 1934 Goudey, 1934 World Wide Gum (Canadian Goudey), 1993 Conlon Collection, 2005 Donruss Century 1/1 Auto/Stamp. He also had a 1/1 signature as one of the "Mystery Cuts" in a SP Legendary Cuts set. While I'd love to own the Donruss Century 1/1, I really don't care that much for the manufactured 1/1s (although I did buy the Mystery Cut 1/1).

He was stuck with the International League Baltimore Orioles until 28 when he was finally sold to Cleveland after winning multiple batting titles. He was a career .300+ during his sole MLB years - 1929-1934, along with a .350 in 1930. He was a fantastic fielder as well as a fan favorite.

This is now the pinnacle of my Dick Porter collection so I'm super stoked. A collection that includes contracts, a game-used bat, a signature model bat, about 6 signature model gloves, and a bunch of other oddballs.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
You must have the most eclectic collection ever, and I mean that in the most complimentary of ways. Between the cards you make, the obscure older releases like this, and your cornering of the Shooty Babbitt market, your additions are always fun to read about.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Congrats on the pick up, Mike! Very cool card and story. Thank you for sharing.

One of these days I am going to have to get back in touch with you about making some customs.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I forgot to mention, this is technically the first Leaf baseball card set, who didn't start using the family surname until over a decade later.

This is also, to my knowledge, the only known copy of the Dick Porter.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
held61KAHNS.jpg

Dick Porter, meet Woody Held. Now put those things back in your pants, guys.

Extremely gratifying pickup - you should be super stroked, I mean stoked. Keep a firm grip on that one!

(Yes, I'm 12.)

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
As a collector of a player that has a Demaree, I know how tough they are. I've only seen 1, like you. That is an incredible pickup, and great story to go along with it. I'm glad that it is finally in your hands.

Do you plan on slabbing it?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Really happy for you Mike. I know we've talked at length about how much you like that card. Glad you were fortunate enough to add it to your stable. Hope all is well for you.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Awesome! Congrats on landing that one, Mike. I still need to buy me a Tattoo Orbit for my collection...if you post a scan of yours I might be a bit more motivated. :)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks again, it's a huge card acquisition for a player collection of a someone who has almost nothing out there.

As for getting it graded, I don't think so. Even though it's possibly the only known copy, it's nothing more than a PSA 1 with most of the lower tab cut off. I know it's real and that's key for me.

And Scotty, here's a copy of the Dick Porter Tattoo Orbit...another tough, but mildly collected set. One of these days I'll scan all of my Tattoo Orbits, I think it's such a cool set.
dick-porter-tattoo-orbit.png

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Thanks again, it's a huge card acquisition for a player collection of a someone who has almost nothing out there.

As for getting it graded, I don't think so. Even though it's possibly the only known copy, it's nothing more than a PSA 1 with most of the lower tab cut off. I know it's real and that's key for me.

And Scotty, here's a copy of the Dick Porter Tattoo Orbit...another tough, but mildly collected set. One of these days I'll scan all of my Tattoo Orbits, I think it's such a cool set.
dick-porter-tattoo-orbit.png

I had the #2 Tattoo Orbit set and #7 DeLong set on the SGC Registry. I was forced to sell them off to pay off some crushing debt though. They are incredible and attainable sets with a little patience. At one point, I owned the highest rated Tattoo Orbit Porter which is one of the lower pop cards in the set.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I had the #2 Tattoo Orbit set and #7 DeLong set on the SGC Registry. I was forced to sell them off to pay off some crushing debt though. They are incredible and attainable sets with a little patience. At one point, I owned the highest rated Tattoo Orbit Porter which is one of the lower pop cards in the set.

What was the grade on the Porter if you remember?

I'm slowly building that set, but finishing the '34 Goudey is my priority. This card slowed that a bit but impossible to pass up.

And I love that Delong set.

Sent from a handheld, intergalactic communicator.

Members online

Latest posts