Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you think if Mantle was still alive card show signings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
would be affordable?

It seems like he was at the forefront of affordable autographs of legends. Wasn't he like $10 per Autograph? If he didn't die, I think it's safe to assume he would still sign at shows because he did so many. Do you think if he remained at $10 or maybe increased at most by $50 others would stay cheap?
I only say this because $160 for a Bernie Williams Autograph is absurd? Want an inscription? Toss in another $50 to get him to write 4x WS Champs.
Did players even charge for inscriptions "back in the day?" (as in the early 90s).

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
He would be at whatever the market dictated. The athletes are aware of what their signatures are worth, and know they "have" something that is in demand. The most recent PSA authenticated Bernie Williams ball sold for over $100 on eBay and Steiner has his 8x10's at $299 per, so $160 for an in person signature on Williams isn't too out of line.

If Mantle was still alive, and his signed baseballs were selling in the $250-300 range, you can bet he would be right around that price point (if not higher). Makes no sense for the athlete to charge a lesser amount than what the item goes for in the open market.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
He was $10 when I saw him in 91, $12 when I saw him in 92. He was $75 in 94 I think.

$500 might be a tad high now, but at least $400 (Mays is $300)

Imagine being paid $10 to do something in 1991, and 40 times that twenty years later. INSANE

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
jondawg04 said:
He would be at whatever the market dictated. The athletes are aware of what their signatures are worth, and know they "have" something that is in demand. The most recent PSA authenticated Bernie Williams ball sold for over $100 on eBay and Steiner has his 8x10's at $299 per, so $160 for an in person signature on Williams isn't too out of line.

If Mantle was still alive, and his signed baseballs were selling in the $250-300 range, you can bet he would be right around that price point (if not higher). Makes no sense for the athlete to charge a lesser amount than what the item goes for in the open market.
I understand that, and I think you are spot on, but if he was still alive, would his baseballs sell $250-$300? There would be a LOT more out on the market, and a LOT of those would be PSA'd or JSA'd (probably a special where you get the auto guest at the show, you get a deal on authentication), so wouldn't that water down the market a lot making his autograph worth less making him charge a lot less?

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Got two AL Balls signed in 1987. Free I believe but we had to stand in line FOREVER!

Took a picture with him too. Still have one of the balls. Completely mint signed on the sweet spot.

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
trademhigh said:
jondawg04 said:

I understand that, and I think you are spot on, but if he was still alive, would his baseballs sell $250-$300? There would be a LOT more out on the market, and a LOT of those would be PSA'd or JSA'd (probably a special where you get the auto guest at the show, you get a deal on authentication), so wouldn't that water down the market a lot making his autograph worth less making him charge a lot less?

I think even with a flood of em on the market, Mantle balls would be around that $250-300 mark, definitely. It's hard to say for certain though.

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
I think so...what inspired you to post this? Was it the WP's Card Show? Bernie wasssssssssss tooooo much money money money

piggy1918

Jul 31, 2009
I've always thought players charged too much... OK I can see $150 for a HOF superstar, but honestly the least you can do is write HOF '01 or a short inscription. Honestly it's ridiculous to charge like $50 for something that takes literally 3 seconds. That's $60,000 an hour...

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
Me and my grandpa ate dinner with Mantle in 1993 at a convention in Dallas. I got 3 autos and a polaroid of me and him. All for free.
I also got 2 more the following year also in Dallas at a card show for 50 a piece. I would say he would be around 300-350 right now.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
The only person higher than Mantle while he was alive was Campanella, and that was due to the limitations and considerations of his situation. Mantle would easily be $400 now, if not more. My guess would be he'd have an exclusive deal with some company, and not be doing public signings.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I wonder if he'd still be a Topps exclusive if he was alive.

sheetskout said:
Got two AL Balls signed in 1987. Free I believe but we had to stand in line FOREVER!

Took a picture with him too. Still have one of the balls. Completely mint signed on the sweet spot.
Anywhere Mantle touched a baseball was the sweet spot ;)

Aug 13, 2008
I wouldn't compare him to Mays. Mickey was a pretty prolific signer when he was alive. He seemed to enjoy these shows - as opposed to Willie. I would put him at $150 - $200 tops.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Mantle's 1st signing in 77 was for $2.00.

Nowadays my limit for anyone is $20.00.

Mantle's autograph is not one bit rare. I imagine you would see more Mantle's then Stargell's in good condition.

I was thinking about this tonight with the Sandberg rumors. Sandberg's graph has almost taken the place of the Bob Feller autograph. It just shows up.....

Using the math of last year when he visited Mobile twice:

10 games X roughly 22 people (or more ) X 1 or 2 items = Between 220 to 440 items

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Bernie's auto price was high because he never signs IP and at shows, so WP is one of the only shows that he has ever done. I see why it was $160.00, but it is still way to much for him.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
I went to an East Coast National (it could have been the national) back in 87 i think. It was upstate NY and had Mantle, Killer, and a bunch of other Hofers. I am pretty sure he was no less than $50. I had sold mine off years ago as i wasn't into mem. just cards at the time. I also think he would be atleast $300 if he were still signing.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
There was a show here in Atlanta in 1988 with Mantle, Mays, and Snider. Mantle was up to $20 and the other two were $10. I still have the tickets somewhere. By the early '90's, Mantle had crept closer to $50 IIRC.

But I will never forget that show.

Members online

Latest posts