Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

EBAY BUYER COMPLAINT - Game Used Bat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
I have a situation that I would like my fellow FCBers to comment on or give their 2 cents :)

Sold a game used bat on Ebay and indeed I mentioned it was uncracked, bat was sold for like $40, nothing too huge.

Buyer emails and states the following "After removing the pine tar, I have found a crack in the handle" He uses the bats for a wood bat league, but now wants a full refund. He cleaned the bat and removed pine tar so how should I resolve.

Thanks

BigAppleJak

Aug 8, 2008
Luckily its mot too steep a refund, but what a pain.

If you are listed under Sports Collectable and NOT sporting goods, that might give you a bit of a leg to stand on, but otherwise $40 might not be worth all the headaches...

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Since it's been altered, are you obligated to accept a return? Either way, I think that verbiage would be good for any sellers to have in the description.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
If you said it was uncracked and it's cracked, that seems like it's on you. However, being sold as a "game used" bat to which pine tar coverage lends authenticity (somewhat), it would seem that the buyer altered it from its original condition, so that's on him. While it seems like an "item not as described" case and ebay giving preference to the buyer would win out, you might suggest the buyer return it at his cost and give him a $20 refund.

I used the word "seem" way too much.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Tough break, no pun intended.Doesn't pine tar give a better grip.Sucks buyer had to remove it.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
browsing Academy.com I see there are a variety of wood bats you can buy for $40 and under. Why would you go on eBay and buy a game used bat for $40 + shipping and time to clean the tar off of when a local sporting goods store would suffice for the same price sticker new?

I know it's besides the point of the thread, just seems goofy.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
browsing Academy.com I see there are a variety of wood bats you can buy for $40 and under. Why would you go on eBay and buy a game used bat for $40 + shipping and time to clean the tar off of when a local sporting goods store would suffice for the same price sticker new?

I know it's besides the point of the thread, just seems goofy.

Better wood is used in bats made for professional players than for regular bats sold at sporting goods stores. Stars and MLB players will get the very best wood, and it goes on down from there. Incidentally, it means that sometimes you'll have a better player order bats for other players; one player in particular (I forget who) would order hundreds of extra bats, and then ship them to players he knew in Venezuela.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Better wood is used in bats made for professional players than for regular bats sold at sporting goods stores. Stars and MLB players will get the very best wood, and it goes on down from there. Incidentally, it means that sometimes you'll have a better player order bats for other players; one player in particular (I forget who) would order hundreds of extra bats, and then ship them to players he knew in Venezuela.

Even with better wood, older bats will be brittle since they will have dried out over time. "Fresh" bats always have more life to them.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
I don't get why he'd remove the pine tar though. Is there some limit/rules about having it on bats in leagues other than mlb & milb?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

ch2423

Jan 3, 2011
NE Ohio
He cleaned off the pine tar?

george-brett-mad1.gif

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm sorry but this is why I don't sell hardly ever on eBay. Sellers have NO power what so ever. I mean dude dismantles the OP'ers bat, finds a small crack in a USED bat and it's a dead deal. Just sh!tty if you ask me.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Unfortunately, it's all in how the item is described. I am not saying this is the case here, as I didn't see the description, but too many people spend not enough time writing a decent item description. I suppose the more time spent, the less listings, etc. However, why sell something really good and post a picture from a mobile device with a 2 sentence description? People do it! All the time!!

I would guess in this case, as a seller you can't win. I'd agree that the guy needs to return the bat and I am pretty sure that he is on the hook for the return shipping regardless. I know when I returned something that a seller screwed up on the description, I had to pay return shipping to get my refund. It was minor, but it bugs me a little that a seller can sell a card with a wrong serial number (the only reason I bought it) and then I lose money by returning the item. It cost me a couple bucks to have the honor of returning an item!!

It may not be worth it for him to return it in this case due to the cost, but then again he may be angling for a discount too. I guess it really depends on what the guy is asking you to do. He wins with anything less than a full refund and him returning the bat to you at his cost.

Members online

Latest posts