Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay DSR's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I could never figure out the USPS postage rates for shipping to Canada since the increase about a year or so ago (when rates took a huge jump). So if you wanted to mail a letter or birthday card to Canada you still have to go through all the customs hassle and pay through the nose? Why can't they just have an international stamp like they used to?

Interestingly, I've noticed that now the packages I get from ebay or from Zistle trades from the States have a Canada Post tracking barcode affixed to them, presumably put on when they entered Canada. Another recent auction I won was for a card that was $1.99 and the seller charged $3.00 shipping. It arrived in a padded envelope and the seller paid almost $7 in postage. Needless to say the seller got 5 stars for shipping.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I Say you find a friend who lives next to the border, and make another friend on the US side too. Then mail stuff to the US friend, and have him throw it over the border to your canadian friend. :)

Seriously though, it must be so difficult to collect living in canada, and try to keep your costs down.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
That sentence is as accurate as it is long. I have no idea why some people insist on wasting $1+ to ship at the post office. If you don't have a printer, buy one...they're cheap and they'll pay for themselves after enough auctions. It's cheaper AND you don't have to make a trip to the oh so pleasant post office. You save on both cost and convenience. I'd pay MORE to use paypal shipping than I would to go to the post office (just don't tell them that).

Plus you're costing yourself money on auction income...if I'm willing to pay $20 for a card, I'm willing to pay $20. That's $17.50 plus $2.50 shipping, or $16.50 plus $3.50 shipping. It makes no difference to me. But using the higher cost shipping, you're getting $1 less of my money.

You hit it on the head. Agree 100% with everyone said.

I don't understand why anyone charges for shipping on eBay. Those who do why do you do it? Do you think you are actually recovering any additional costs? If so I would challenge that thought process. As Dilerrules mentions most sellers will pay a certain price for a card not that price plus whatever you charge for shipping.

Free Shipping guarantees 5 stars on the shipping cost category.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
in the 1980's, I aged from 9 at the beginning of the decade to 18 as the decade closed. There was no widely available internet and thus not a lot of things technological that made life quick and cheaper to ship USPS. I figure if one mails their item at a postal service counter on a routine basis in 2014, one is a grandma or grandpa because one isn't using today's USPS-approved technology to mail smarter and cheaper. That person might as well also grocery shop and pay for it with a personal check just like all the old people do in front of you at the cashier line.

The only reason I see to visit a USPS retail counter is because the postal regulations require it to mail some things. I know there are some things because I've read part of the DMM but I haven't personally been effected by those few items yet. It's best to avoid the gas, time at a retail counter and extra costs of interacting with a USPS clerk by printing my own shipping with tracking labels, print my own postage through the Paypal/USPS site, and mail it in my neighborhood box or hand it to my carrier. Obviously a lot of people on FCB are doing that because they are mailing their 1 oz bubble mailers for under $2, whereas I gave a breakdown supported by a "calculate prices" simulation I've done on the USPS website this morning of how a 1 oz bubble mailer can cost $3.23 to ship.

Look, I don't sell on ebay as a business, I actually don't sell my stuff very often in general. I'm in this as a hobby and have fun, not to make money. I've been on ebay for about 13 years and have well less than 300 feedback. I'd say 90% of those are from purchases, not sales. I have absolutely no problem driving to my local post office and stopping at the counter. Who are you to say how I should spend my time and efforts? You'll probably find it obsurd that I don't buy my supplies is bulk either, because why on earth would someone pay .05 more when you do it so much cheaper. I do still use personal checks for some things, I don't pay my bills online, I don't use a snipe service, and I don't have a smart phone either. How on earth do I survive in this world must really boggle such an advanced mind like yourself.

Bottom line, like others have said, factor it in to your bid and move on.

Members online

Latest posts