Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

First A&G RIP card! Does the flashlight trick work? Rip it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

che stadium

Aug 16, 2008
After buying countless amounts of boxes and packs of Allen and Ginter over the past three years, I finally got a rip card out of a loose hobby pack (a local pharmacy sells hobby packs!! My only local "dealer"). It is a Cole Hamels #'d to 99. Now I heard a trick that you can do with a flashlight to see what is in there. I tried but really could not see much beyond the edge of the card. Is it not possible in 2008 A&G?

Now I know I could sell this for more than what the mini is inside (unless I get lucky :twisted: ). So what is the verdict guys?

Roy Birchler

Aug 7, 2008
Northern California
che stadium said:
After buying countless amounts of boxes and packs of Allen and Ginter over the past three years, I finally got a rip card out of a loose hobby pack (a local pharmacy sells hobby packs!! My only local "dealer"). It is a Cole Hamels #'d to 99. Now I heard a trick that you can do with a flashlight to see what is in there. I tried but really could not see much beyond the edge of the card. Is it not possible in 2008 A&G?

Now I know I could sell this for more than what the mini is inside (unless I get lucky :twisted: ). So what is the verdict guys?

I have heard that the flashlight trick does not work on 2008.
If you ask here 9 out of 10 will tell you to rip it, including me. You bought the pack hoping for the big hit, right :)

Roy

che stadium

Aug 16, 2008
Roy Birchler said:
[quote="che stadium":vfgd1tkh]After buying countless amounts of boxes and packs of Allen and Ginter over the past three years, I finally got a rip card out of a loose hobby pack (a local pharmacy sells hobby packs!! My only local "dealer"). It is a Cole Hamels #'d to 99. Now I heard a trick that you can do with a flashlight to see what is in there. I tried but really could not see much beyond the edge of the card. Is it not possible in 2008 A&G?

I have heard that the flashlight trick does not work on 2008.
If you ask here 9 out of 10 will tell you to rip it, including me. You bought the pack hoping for the big hit, right :)

Roy[/quote:vfgd1tkh]

It's like saying "kids are great as long as they are not my own". I dare someone to say "no, don't do it"!

rctdw

Sep 2, 2008
I too had heard of the flashlight trick. this year year i too finally pulled one of curt shilling numbered to 99.
I knew i was gonna rip it so i decided to try the flashlight. I could clearly see what was in it before ripping it.
Which is why i would never buy an unripped rip card. its just to easy to get scammed.

Good luck on the rip hope you pull something great!!!!

che stadium

Aug 16, 2008
I tried the flashlight thing and nothing worked. I suppose it would show a COA sticker for an auto. Oh well...

I DID rip it and got a Dan Haren mini. Whoopee!!

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I also pulled my first rip card the other day and it was of Delmon Young. I looked on the bay to see what I could sell it for and the last one sold for like 42 bucks. After fees from listing, final value, and ebay payment fees, I would probably end up with like $35 and just decided that was not enough for me to not rip, so I ripped it and pulled a Lincecum mini and those sell for 30 bucks, so I didnt do to bad as I may just sell it when/if he wins the Cy award. Its still inside the card so I am trying to decide on whether or not to take it out or sell it as is and display picks of it inside the card.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Glad the flashlight trick didnt work or some unsuspecting person would have probably bought it...

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
mlbsalltimegreats said:
I also pulled my first rip card the other day and it was of Delmon Young. I looked on the bay to see what I could sell it for and the last one sold for like 42 bucks. After fees from listing, final value, and ebay payment fees, I would probably end up with like $35 and just decided that was not enough for me to not rip, so I ripped it and pulled a Lincecum mini and those sell for 30 bucks, so I didnt do to bad as I may just sell it when/if he wins the Cy award. Its still inside the card so I am trying to decide on whether or not to take it out or sell it as is and display picks of it inside the card.
Damn, I want that lol.

Members online

Latest posts