Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Great now bugs and Salt in our card packs Thanks UD.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frow

TNP777 said:
The initial auto checklist blows away A&G, actually. Topps gives us 'Nique, UD gives us Jordan & 'Bron. I can't think of any retired players in this year's A&G, but UD is giving us Buck @$#%ing Dent, Molitor, Joe Carter, Ryan, Skowran, Dick Allen, Newcombe, Pepitone, Sr., Ozzie, Brooks, Rollie, Carlton, Ford, Berra.

All this for less than A&G, with an auto per box on average. Yeah, it's more than likely a 12-box case will yield low-tier autos, but at least you're getting them. I'm not an Upper Deck fan by any stretch of the imagination, but on the face of it, this product looks like a home run. We'll have to see what the final checklist looks like, though. Topps has pulled that crap a couple times in the last year - nice initial checklist, but the final product lacked any star power whatsoever.

That's what I never got about A&G. It's a throw back set that has a checklist with only current players (mantle doesn't count :lol: )

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
A_Pharis said:
I wonder how much people are going to pay for those "relics":

Authentic piece of the Titanic?
Can be purchased in a souvenir packet for under $20.

Authentic Dead Sea Salt?
Can be bought on eBay in a packet for under $5.

Pretty stupid if you ask me.

I like cards and I like history so to combine them is right up my alley.I have a hard time believing I am the only one.I like the throwback sets(A&G, Goudey, Mayo) and I will have no qualms whatsoever about collecting this with extreme prejudice.

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
Rudzud said:
TelePlayer22 said:
This is incredibly stupid.

How would you actually prove the salt is from the Dead Sea? Why would it matter? I wouldn't pay a nickel for that card..

Dead_Sea-18.jpg

And how could you prove its really horse hair?

If you're being facious, there are ways (chemically) to determine where the salt was from.

I'm not being facetious, it's a scam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEAD-SEA-BATH-S...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50

While the checklist/autograph cards are nice, if you are actively searching for a salt card, UD has your nuts in the vice.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
A_Pharis said:

Authentic Dead Sea Salt?

Erm....Didn't an A&G fossil card sell for $1,000+??

[In which the fossil itself can be had for under $20..]

(Maybe it was the hair card...but either way that is not the point..]

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
predatorkj said:
A_Pharis said:

Authentic Dead Sea Salt?

I like cards and I like history so to combine them is right up my alley.I have a hard time believing I am the only one.I like the throwback sets(A&G, Goudey, Mayo) and I will have no qualms whatsoever about collecting this with extreme prejudice.

You can buy a low end HOF'er auto on an index card for $10-20 even in a PSA slab. Put it in a Legendary Cuts card and it's a $100 card.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
As long as we aren't prospector bashing, all else is tolerated.

Don't collect it if it's not for you. This is the first year of the product, like A&G in 2006, it will start strong...with some of the best autos being purely exclusives that Topps could never acquire for A&G anyway.

I do like the 1 auto per box (on average), that's nice...but MSRP per pack is actually the same as Ginter...there are just 4 less packs per box. It works though because the base set is 100 cards less than A&G if I remember correctly.

In my opinion, these throwbacks are some of the best because they take design, theme, and style ques from some of the earliest and some of the greatest and make them relevant to today's market. Cheers to them.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
One thing that A&G has going for it is the Topps Set Collector. What idiot--er collector, would pay enormous sums of money for a certified autograph of the invisible man? That person who wants to put together the complete A&G Topps set.

One has to wonder if UD is going to have that same level of devotion. That's my only holdback to wanting to crack a case or two of this.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
predatorkj said:
[quote="A_Pharis":2jyazzeh]I wonder how much people are going to pay for those "relics":

Authentic Dead Sea Salt?

You can buy a low end HOF'er auto on an index card for $10-20 even in a PSA slab. Put it in a Legendary Cuts card and it's a $100 card.[/quote:2jyazzeh]

Okay.I am not sure I understand the point you are trying to make but I do agree its odd that its like that.But I simply like the throwback feel.I like the cards and I like the way sets look and include other historical things in them.Its not for everybody though.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
predatorkj said:
Jeff N. said:
predatorkj said:
[quote="A_Pharis":2xx3lvzb]I wonder how much people are going to pay for those "relics":

Authentic Dead Sea Salt?

You can buy a low end HOF'er auto on an index card for $10-20 even in a PSA slab. Put it in a Legendary Cuts card and it's a $100 card.

Okay.I am not sure I understand the point you are trying to make but I do agree its odd that its like that.But I simply like the throwback feel.I like the cards and I like the way sets look and include other historical things in them.Its not for everybody though.[/quote:2xx3lvzb]

He's pointing out that it isn't the relic or auto that gives it the value, it's the fact that it is encapsulated in a card. It's the same with the dead sea salt or titanic relic as it is with cut autos.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
predatorkj said:
Jeff N. said:
predatorkj said:
[quote="A_Pharis":ws1q5zt4]I wonder how much people are going to pay for those "relics":

Authentic Dead Sea Salt?

Okay.I am not sure I understand the point you are trying to make but I do agree its odd that its like that.But I simply like the throwback feel.I like the cards and I like the way sets look and include other historical things in them.Its not for everybody though.

He's pointing out that it isn't the relic or auto that gives it the value, it's the fact that it is encapsulated in a card. It's the same with the dead sea salt or titanic relic as it is with cut autos.[/quote:ws1q5zt4]

I would imagine so and I agreed with that.But since I collect cards this really fits into my hobby.I love history and artifacts but I don't exactly have a plethora of artifacts sitting around my house.This allows me the ability to have the chance to kill two birds with one stone.I buy one of those packets on ebay with coal from the titanic and I have it sitting around the house in some random place.I buy a card with it in there and it fits nicely with the other 200,000 cards I already have.Besides...it keeps my wife off my back.She already hates the fact that I collect cards.Can you imagine what she would say if I started a new hobby as well?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
predatorkj said:
Jeff N. said:
predatorkj said:
[quote="A_Pharis":2grtkz62]I wonder how much people are going to pay for those "relics":

Authentic Dead Sea Salt?

Okay.I am not sure I understand the point you are trying to make but I do agree its odd that its like that.But I simply like the throwback feel.I like the cards and I like the way sets look and include other historical things in them.Its not for everybody though.[/quote:2grtkz62]

The point I'm making is that if a card company takes an inexpensive auto or relic and puts it in a card (even better if there's a serial # on it), it will sell for a higher amount than just the auto or relic. The whole, as it were, is worth more than the sum of it's parts.

Does it make sense? no. But a lot of things in this hobby don't make sense.

This product looks VERY inviting -- but as I said before, it's the Topps and A&G collectors that drive up the prices to insane levels on such inane things as a Unicorn relic or Invisible Man signature.

TIme will tell as to whether UD has that same level of devotion.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
predatorkj said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
predatorkj said:
Jeff N. said:
predatorkj said:
[quote="A_Pharis":zmvoogx0]I wonder how much people are going to pay for those "relics":

Authentic Dead Sea Salt?

He's pointing out that it isn't the relic or auto that gives it the value, it's the fact that it is encapsulated in a card. It's the same with the dead sea salt or titanic relic as it is with cut autos.

I would imagine so and I agreed with that.But since I collect cards this really fits into my hobby.I love history and artifacts but I don't exactly have a plethora of artifacts sitting around my house.This allows me the ability to have the chance to kill two birds with one stone.I buy one of those packets on ebay with coal from the titanic and I have it sitting around the house in some random place.I buy a card with it in there and it fits nicely with the other 200,000 cards I already have.Besides...it keeps my wife off my back.She already hates the fact that I collect cards.Can you imagine what she would say if I started a new hobby as well?[/quote:zmvoogx0]

Then go for it! I don't think anyone here is saying not to buy this product -- to the contrary; I'm strongly considering it!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I definitely agree with your first sentence - I stay away from UD.

The other stuff (invisible man, etc) I actually enjoy and think is appropriate for the A&G set in particular because it contains a bunch of diifferent themes. Now, what I don't understand is why cards of minor league guys are in sets containing cards of major leaguers ;)

Jeff N. said:
One thing that A&G has going for it is the Topps Set Collector. What idiot--er collector, would pay enormous sums of money for a certified autograph of the invisible man? That person who wants to put together the complete A&G Topps set.

One has to wonder if UD is going to have that same level of devotion. That's my only holdback to wanting to crack a case or two of this.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
Both local shops have it still listed as coming out next week, but both are convinced it won't. I guess I tend to agree, considering how I still haven't seen a base set checklist issued yet.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
UD rarely puts out checklists. But they nearly always are a week later than the published date.

Members online

Latest posts