Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Guess It's Up to Us to Vote in Puig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
You can't compare Harper's case to Puig.
Harper played for more than two months and 220+ at bats before the All-Star Game, compared to Puig's one month.
The whole argument over Puig is he's only played a month.

By the AS game Puig will have nearly 150 ABs. On his current pace his stats will exceed Harper's 70 more AB total.

The argument is longevity and 1-month difference is minuscule.

He is one of the more electric players taking the field on a daily basis, I say vote him in.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
You can't compare Harper's case to Puig.
Harper played for more than two months and 220+ at bats before the All-Star Game, compared to Puig's one month.
The whole argument over Puig is he's only played a month.

I think you can compare the cases. Hype got them both on the final ballot over merit. Harper didn't deserve to be an option any more than Puig does this year. However, if the fans want to see it I guess I shan't complain too loudly. I suppose you can't understate the energy Puig has injected into the Dodgers lackadaisical season

Last edited:

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I voted Desmond, even though Puig will win by a landslide. Puig is freakishly big too - I saw him @ Coors Field the other night. I wonder if he's been a super human genome baby his entire life because I don't ever remember seeing a guy of his size at his age not named Arnold.

Last edited:

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I have no problem with him being on the AS team, after all the AS game is about giving the fans what they want to see and they want to see him play! However, I am not casting a vote. I am in the camp that one should prove himself longer than a month before taking a spot from an otherwise deserving player who has a larger sample size of credibility.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Doesn't look like Iglesias got any consideration and he is batting over .400 while playing gold glove caliber defense at both SS and third for the 1st place Red Sox. I did not expect him to get in but at least a mention would be nice

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Puig hasn't worked as hard this season as some of the other guys - which definitely counts for a lot.

Who is to say Freeman or one of the other guys wouldn't have played much better... if they had only played a month? That extra rest comes in handy.

The game isn't a sprint, its a marathon. This doesn't mean the 'sprinters' shouldn't get rewarded, it just means Puig hasn't even completed a sprint yet.

If fans want to see him, put him in the HR derby because he isn't an AS so far this year.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
The AL vote looks like a Bud Light commercial where you could also vote for the beer vendor in the stands...wonder how many votes he would get?

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Desmond might make it anyway, since Tulowitzki has a broken rib and is not expected back until after the AS break.
The NL team will need another shortstop.

I didnt consider that. Cool

So if for some crazy reason he beats Puig in the voting they will just add Puig to replace Tulo.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
If Puig's play warrants it, he has a teammate who has performed similarly who deserves note...

Wes

OG
Administrator
Yes it would. I'm a fan too, I can have an opinion. Puig playing 30 games is not enough to make him an All-Star. Period. And he's taking a spot from someone that has played most/all of the year. If he got called up a month earlier and was performing like this, I wouldn't have a problem with it. At least he would have played in 75% of the games...but here he hasn't even played in 40% of the games. It's ridiculous.

Shin-Soo Choo was hitting .333 with an OPS over 1.000 after the first 30 games of the season....he's not on the team.

If the fans want him, so be it but that doesn't change my opinion on it being stupid and the FACT that he's taking an All-Star spot from someone who's be in the MLB the entire season.

Well my first issue is that you did the thing where you said "Period" then continued on and on.

But here's some things to think about when diminishing the value that Puig has provided versus other All Stars - beyond the fact that he has a higher BA/OBP/SLG than just about everybody on the team:

Puig 50 hits - Bryce Harper 44 hits
Puig 8 HR - Yadier Molina 6 HR
Puig 4 SB - Brandon Phillips 1 SB
Puig 1 3B - Troy Tulowitzki 0 3B
Puig 19 RBi - Marco Scutaro 18 RBI

Selective numbers for sure, so let's take a look at it from a big picture standpoint. If you want to win the game, the player playing the best of anyone in the game should be on your squad. Games played isn't the only metric. He has a higher WAR than many players who have played the entire season. Isn't it conceivable that he's offered more value in less games than others? Doesn't the best player over 1/3 of the season belong in a game meant to show the best of baseball? The ASG is also a marketing event, and there isn't any player generating the interest in the game that Puig is right now. Puig has been the best player in the league for as long as he has been allowed to play in it. Period.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Puig has not played enough to be an all star. But in the time he HAS played in the Majors, he has done things that no one has done in Major League HISTORY. I'd rather see someone who has played all year (i.e., who has proven they can perform at an All Star level for a longer period of time), but I understand if Puig makes it.

As a side note, I find it odd that a guy who was just "good" in Double A can come up and completely dominate the Major Leagues. I can't imagine this will last much longer before his momentum slows and he comes back to reality.

Members online

Latest posts