Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hobby terms which irk you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Apparently you either smoke or you have never received cards from a smoker. It is obvious when you open an envelope that the cards were from a smoker. I regularly buy from a guy who I know smokes and I have to air out the cards before I sleeve and store them! It is a minor irritation, but one I am willing to overlook due to what he sells.
Definitely not a smoker. Have never received stinky cards. Hopefully never will.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I'm beginning to think the term "cardboard" is not really appropriate.

Cards haven't been printed regularly on "cardboard" since the early 1990's outside of some retro-themed sets.

Today we should be calling modern cards not "cardboard" but rather "paper" since it's multilayer paper that they are printed on.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
"Pasteboard"

Never heard anyone use this term although you can't go through one issue of PSA SMR without it being used.

deadman31

Sep 15, 2010
***You are only bidding on the card in the description, not the entire picture***

then dont put up a picture with 50 other cards. :)

Bob Lemke

Jul 30, 2014
"the Bay" why add a "th"?
"poppage" just a pet peeve
"Nationals" ditto
"ripping" better than the now-outmoded "busting," but what's wrong with "opening"?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
"ripping" better than the now-outmoded "busting," but what's wrong with "opening"?

ripping is totally accurate. I open packs by cutting across the top just below the seal and sliding the cards out as to not damage any of them.

Watching a lot of people opening packs, you see they tear the wrapper and go at it like a gorilla, so "ripping" is definitely a deserved term for their way of opening packs and dinging card corners and putting greasy fingerprints on chrome cards with their sloppiness.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Saying pack fresh in an attempt to make people feel the card is mint or better. Pack fresh is about the equivalent of a BGS 8.5. That's why anything mint or higher, gets a premium.

Using the word patch, when you have a plain white jersey piece.

Counting the color of the jersey piece and calling a plain blue patch on a white jersey a 2 color patch.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Saying pack fresh in an attempt to make people feel the card is mint or better. Pack fresh is about the equivalent of a BGS 8.5. That's why anything mint or higher, gets a premium.

I don't think this is an attempt to make people think anything one way or another but is rather a sad byproduct of those b-hole buyers who return cards if they don't get a gem grade. I don't blame sellers for not wanting to commit to a grade opinion in any direction these days. If you wan't a graded card, buy a graded card. Maybe they should just type that instead

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
In razz groups it's stated to imply the card is in great shape. People just don't grasp the concept behind pack fresh. That's where I was talking about. Should've been more specific.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts