Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOLY COW What a RIDICULOUS Patch!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cgilmo said:
bear0555 said:
Just because Clemente is featured on the card doesn't mean he wore that jersey. Topps only says it was worn in a game, probably some softball game at their annual picnic.

Know your history.

are you saying that roberto clemente didnt play in some pirates old time games in the 80s? id like to wager against that but i just spent all my money picking Barbaro to win the triple crown in 2012

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
cgilmo said:
bear0555 said:
Just because Clemente is featured on the card doesn't mean he wore that jersey. Topps only says it was worn in a game, probably some softball game at their annual picnic.

Know your history.

I'm sure he knows - I think if you reread it, bear is implying that anyone could have worn the jersey in any game. Simliar wording to my sig.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
I'm not an expert on game used uniforms, but lets think about this logically. Looking at the other (lame) /10 patch, why would Topps make one so lackluster and then one so amazing? Wouldn't they have saved this tag for one of his 1/1 patch cards? Even more logically, wouldn't they have cut the tag into four pieces and used it on four different cards (most likely the 1/1's)? I mean, Topps isn't so braindead that they don't realize that tag (if real) is a good item and should be used wisely, not just tossed on one of the run-of-the-mill /10 patch cards.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Jastermereel said:
I'm not an expert on game used uniforms, but lets think about this logically. Looking at the other (lame) /10 patch, why would Topps make one so lackluster and then one so amazing? Wouldn't they have saved this tag for one of his 1/1 patch cards? Even more logically, wouldn't they have cut the tag into four pieces and used it on four different cards (most likely the 1/1's)? I mean, Topps isn't so braindead that they don't realize that tag (if real) is a good item and should be used wisely, not just tossed on one of the run-of-the-mill /10 patch cards.
yes they are...

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
notjomommasclint said:
cgilmo said:
bear0555 said:
Know your history.
are you saying that roberto clemente didnt play in some pirates old time games in the 80s? id like to wager against that but i just spent all my money picking Barbaro to win the triple crown in 2012
Dear god I hope this is sarcasm...

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
ChasHawk said:
notjomommasclint said:
cgilmo said:
bear0555 said:
Know your history.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/16846723

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
homerun28aa said:
cgilmo said:
homerun28aa said:
This one is 2/10. Those are Clemente Patches
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Topps-Ster ... 500wt_1142
It's SO unlikely that a guy buys a jumbo Clemente patch only to fake it..
no, it really isn't
In fact, that is exactly what a faker would want you to think.
The jumbos alone already go for a ton, there really is not even that much room for profit, plus the guy didn't say he was selling it, he was simply showing off his pull from 3 years ago. I don't think it's impossible that it was faked, I just hope society hasn't to come to that level of lieing ::facepalm::
Fakers used to constantly buy the 2005 Absolute Jumbo JERSEY cards and then put fake patches in them.

Now, they buy the PRIME Jumbos, and put "better" patches in them. There's money to be made on a tiny Clemente patch vs. a full tag.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
George_Calfas said:
ChasHawk said:
notjomommasclint said:
cgilmo said:
bear0555 said:
Know your history.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/16846723
Ok, good... :lol:

I don't follow horse racing... :lol:

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I would love to have a piece like that for my Pirates collection but based on the Tag history it appears to just be a Pirates jersey that Clemente never wore.

I can see a transition phase from old to new but I can't see a Tag that was started in 74 being on a jersey in 72. Even if you give a one year phase in period it still is off by a year.

The issue with me is that even if it was not a fake patch it still has little value to me since it obviously never touched Clemente.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
ChasHawk said:
Even if it isn't fake, this is a big WTF moment as far as topps is concerned.

I am pretty sure that there are TONS of WTF moments out there for UD and Topps if we actually saw were these jerseys were coming from.

Remember one of UD"s main suppliers of jerseys was caught using fakes and now they don't even buy authentic jersey's anymore for their NCAA football cards to give you the illusion they were game used.

To me its become more of "wow thats a pretty card" vs. man that is a real big piece of a real jersey used in a game by the player on the card.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
I pretty much gave up on GU just when I read the back of a Felix Hernandez jersey card I got for someone in the birthday club. On the back not only did it say "not from any specific game or event" it even included the words "or specific player". Now that is just ridiculous.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
ajbraves25 said:
I pretty much gave up on GU just when I read the back of a Felix Hernandez jersey card I got for someone in the birthday club. On the back not only did it say "not from any specific game or event" it even included the words "or specific player". Now that is just ridiculous.
this I would like to see

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
ChasHawk said:
ajbraves25 said:
this I would like to see

I don't own the card. I got it to give as a gift. If my memory serves me I'm pretty sure it said something to the effect of the player.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
morgoth said:
I would love to have a piece like that for my Pirates collection but based on the Tag history it appears to just be a Pirates jersey that Clemente never wore.

I can see a transition phase from old to new but I can't see a Tag that was started in 74 being on a jersey in 72. Even if you give a one year phase in period it still is off by a year.

The issue with me is that even if it was not a fake patch it still has little value to me since it obviously never touched Clemente.

Going off of the phase in theory, and I know this may be grasping at straws, but is it possible it could have been part of a jersey used/displayed at his HOF induction in 1973?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
ChasHawk said:
this I would like to see
You wont cause it never happened. The exact quote that sends people into tinfoil hat mode is

"This relics contained in this card are not from any specific game, event or season"

The reason they changed it? To save them from a lawsuit, I once seen a collector freaking out cause he thought all his topps sterling cards where from the season die cut onto a card (I dont recall player but think Roger Maris with a 61 die cut) and was demanding topps tell him which season its from.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Sjrmn91 said:
morgoth said:

Going off of the phase in theory, and I know this may be grasping at straws, but is it possible it could have been part of a jersey used/displayed at his HOF induction in 1973?
That still wouldn't matter since the tags didn't change until 1974.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
nyc3 said:
ChasHawk said:
this I would like to see
You wont cause it never happened. The exact quote that sends people into tinfoil hat mode is

"This relics contained in this card are not from any specific game, event or season"

The reason they changed it? To save them from a lawsuit, I once seen a collector freaking out cause he thought all his topps sterling cards where from the season die cut onto a card (I dont recall player but think Roger Maris with a 61 die cut) and was demanding topps tell him which season its from.

I just sent a PM about the card I thought I read it on asking for a scan of the back. If he sends it to me I'll post it.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
ChasHawk said:
Sjrmn91 said:
morgoth said:

That still wouldn't matter since the tags didn't change until 1974.

I know, but Morgoth suggested that maybe there was a one year "phase in" period for the jerseys. So if that were the case, 1973 would be that in between year, no?

My apologies, I'm actually trying to find a linear explanation for this.....mistake on my part. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts